Looking for an Endurance MTB Team for the rest of 2018 and beyond- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for an Endurance MTB Team for the rest of 2018 and beyond

Hey folks - my primary racing discipline in Endurance MTB, currently 4+ hours / 50+ miles type of racing. I was with a local team for a while, and while they provided great teamwork / support, they were primarily focused on XC which didn't line up well with me.

Due to my schedule I do most training / riding solo, so not looking for a local (New England) team necessarily, but do want a team that's results-focused / competitive while also having decent camaraderie / team dynamic. Decent sponsor discounts wouldn't hurt either.

Any thoughts / leads out there? Thanks
    The Race Bike: 2014 Specialized Camber Evo XX1

This place needs an enema
    Honest question: Why do you need a team to race a bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I am legitimately curious to hear some answers to this. I am a 32 year old stuck with the brain of a grumpy 70 year old single speed curmudgeon so I am always a lone wolf. I never understood wearing the same kit as a bunch of other dudes. I am wondering if there are some benefits I am just not seeing though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/h...-cycling-team/

https://www.active.com/cycling/artic...r-style?page=1

To all the grumpy old men responding here I think the OP outlined exactly why he wanted to be a member of a team: "but do want a team that's results-focused / competitive while also having decent camaraderie / team dynamic. Decent sponsor discounts wouldn't hurt either"

I coach a local high school mountain bike racing team and when we have seasons of only having one or two riders they get bored and unmotivated so we ride with other teams to combat that.

Sometimes misery loves company! I ride alone quite a bit but it is always fun to do group rides, chit chat and push each other.
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/h...-cycling-team/

https://www.active.com/cycling/artic...r-style?page=1

To all the grumpy old men responding here I think the OP outlined exactly why he wanted to be a member of a team: "but do want a team that's results-focused / competitive while also having decent camaraderie / team dynamic. Decent sponsor discounts wouldn't hurt either"

I coach a local high school mountain bike racing team and when we have seasons of only having one or two riders they get bored and unmotivated so we ride with other teams to combat that.

Sometimes misery loves company! I ride alone quite a bit but it is always fun to do group rides, chit chat and push each other.
    What you're describing though is a club not a team IMO. Like back when USAC (or USCF) was based on a club structure, and club/teams were as much about regular group rides as they were about discounts. The modern concept of cycling team that I see is mostly middle aged guys that want discounts on stuff and think that leading a ride one in a while is giving back to the sport.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    because the endurance races I do also include XC components, the help of being on a team comes mostly with having a 'stocked' pit available, help getting the pit setup, and taken down.
    Of course having a 'cheering' section, someone to 'car-pool' to & from the race with, and, should something 'bad' happen, someone that can help pick up the pieces and get a hold of my wife ;-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BantamSLK View Post
    Hey folks - my primary racing discipline in Endurance MTB, currently 4+ hours / 50+ miles type of racing. I was with a local team for a while, and while they provided great teamwork / support, they were primarily focused on XC which didn't line up well with me.

Due to my schedule I do most training / riding solo, so not looking for a local (New England) team necessarily, but do want a team that's results-focused / competitive while also having decent camaraderie / team dynamic. Decent sponsor discounts wouldn't hurt either.

Any thoughts / leads out there? Thanks
    I'd be interested in the same type of team structure focusing on similar events. Let me know if you find one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    To answer some of the questions, sometimes the discounts from the sponsors is worth the price of the kit/ annual team fee etc.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    What you're describing though is a club not a team IMO. Like back when USAC (or USCF) was based on a club structure, and club/teams were as much about regular group rides as they were about discounts. The modern concept of cycling team that I see is mostly middle aged guys that want discounts on stuff and think that leading a ride one in a while is giving back to the sport.
    A team is a closer knit, more focused, very small club.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was at one point a member of the Sho-Air team. They have now branched out to Ride biker alliance or something like that. they are a kind of a conglomerate in that they have a national "team" but then there are much smaller more local teams that get the benefits of the larger group. When i rode with them Cannondale was the main bike sponsor. the deal was about 35-45% off retail. they also had kit, glasses, component deals as well.

they have a website and are on facebook as well. Not sure what their presence is at endurance stuff but you check it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Another New England rider here that's not attached to a team or a club but would like to be. Does that make 3 of us now? Maybe we start our own...

I plan to do 4-5 NUE 100 milers next year, plus any local 50 mile/6hr races that are more local and fit in the schedule. I don't care for discounts, but wouldn't refuse them if they existed. Mostly just like the help with logistics and travel. Hoofing it all the way to Lumberjack and back solo wasn't on my list of super fun things to do and the main factor influencing whether or not I go back again next year.