Lightweight Saddle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lightweight Saddle

I would post this in the WW forum, but it would be interesting to see which lightweight saddle people think would be good for endurance races.

I've used Specialized Phenom Pro (195g) for my first endurance race SM100 for which I was not trained for. The saddle hurt like a mother for the long climbs (on pavement) during SM100.

Recently, I used Specialized Power Pro Elaston (231g) for LV for which I was trained for and I had minimal saddle issues. Now WW-ism is no longer in remission.

Currently, I'm thinking of Selle Italia X-LR Kit Carbonio (130g) which seems to be Selle Italia's top end XC saddle.

Being a Spesh fanboy, I did consider S-Work Power saddle (159g) but I've heard that it's kind of hard (from people who are much faster and who spend much more time riding than me).

Anybody try this Selle Italia saddle or a similar lightweight saddle for endurance races?
    '15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm a big fan of the SQlab 611 Ergowave with carbon rails. Mine weighs in at 152g, and I can ride on it all day, no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Long ago, I was a saddle snob, then a Spec saddle fanboi. Then I ended up with a couple of Trek's that had lightweight saddles with carbon rails. I had low expectations, but rode them, and loved them. I don't think I've used butt butter of any kind in at least three years (maybe TMI there, sorry).

If I were shopping for an aftermarket saddle, I'd be inclined to look to SQ Lab and Ergon. Plenty of happy friends and family on those two brands.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Do you use chamois cream?, that makes a big difference for me.
    My current favorite saddle is still the chinese carbon $20 saddle I posted on the WW forum (ebay link below). Identical looking ones are available in-stock in the US on ebay now. I have 3, on my good bikes, no issues for me; road bike, xc fs and hardtail, - I did 2 cx races on the hardtail this fall with lots of seated pedaling on rough ground. A racer friend I recommended this to bought one and a new cheap carbon seatpost, but he broke his saddle 2nd race he used it, I don't know if the seatpost had a not-ideal clamp, or if he over torqued it. I just put my spare on my scale; 158g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/full-carbon...e/183248609502
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Saddles are very personal. Size, Shape and padding style are big deal. Once you get that figured out then worry about weight. I have found that I like the WTB Silverado narrow. I use the same seat on 3 of my Mtn bikes. I use the Ti rail version to save weight.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Everyone, thanks for sharing your thoughts! A lot of food for thought. Never used or had to use chammy cream, but it's very interesting .... As a side note, I know a bike store chain owner who used the Spesh Mimic saddle for Dirty Kanza and he said that it worked out well for him.
    '15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT

Wanna ride bikes?
    For endurance racing you can't measure a saddle by its weight. Comfort is far more important as you seem to have learned.

+1 SQ Labs Ergowave active Ti. I'm over the weight limit of the carbon rails, Ti is a minor weight penalty for all day comfort.

Demo as many saddles as you can. Knowing your sit bone measurement is step 1.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg81 View Post
    Everyone, thanks for sharing your thoughts! A lot of food for thought. Never used or had to use chammy cream, but it's very interesting .... As a side note, I know a bike store chain owner who used the Spesh Mimic saddle for Dirty Kanza and he said that it worked out well for him.
    What works for one person will not work for the next. It's not about brand or even price, it's about your anatomy and what it agrees with. Chamois cream is a must on a long or sweaty ride. Likewise a good chamois is worth its weight in gold.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    What works for one person will not work for the next. It's not about brand or even price, it's about your anatomy and what it agrees with. Chamois cream is a must on a long or sweaty ride. Likewise a good chamois is worth its weight in gold.
    I agree with all except the cream. I have never needed to use it, but I realize that others do. Again personal thing.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.