mtbr member

Let's talk tires!

What's everyone running this year?
    CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thunder Burts, XR2's, and Racing Ralph's. Maybe Nobby Nics, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've committed to running through my pile of half-used tires this year. Must have close to $1k of decent rubber that I'm too cheap to throw away/donate.

But more specifically that means lots of ikons, ardent race and a few Aspens and Forekasters in various combinations

Once that shit's gone I'll be on (if it EVER comes available) a 2.35 exo Aspen or rekon race out back and something like the rekon/rekon race out front course dependent.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a set of 29x2.6 Mezcals. Will be running them on a rigid SS, was hoping for a little extra cushion in the tires.

mtbr member
    29x3" Rangers on the rigid SS. Typically weigh less than advertised at around 850g, roll surprisingly fast, and have very predictable traction.

Going to give 29x2.6 Ikons a try on another bike. If they don't work out, I'll switch to rangers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Addix Ray/Ralph ftw

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    29x3" Ranger...Typically weigh less than advertised at around 850g.

Going to give 29x2.6 Ikons a try on another bike.
    I had/have this same thought process, however my 3" XR2 are weighing in around 815-820 gm and I'm finding the Ikons are coming in around 785-790 grams. The I'm having a hard time justifying the move to a narrower (race tire) that only saves me 30 grams and end.

-CJB

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have been on Ikon 2.35 for years and love them. Trying Aspen front and Rekon rear, may try Rekon front and rear too.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Have been on Ikon 2.35 for years and love them. Trying Aspen front and Rekon rear, may try Rekon front and rear too.
    I love these for endurance, 60-100 miles.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Ikon 2.35 and 2.2.

When these wear out i have a pile of mostly new tires that are collecting dust.
    Last edited by Rod; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:33 PM.

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I love these for endurance, 60-100 miles.
    I know this may not exactly be the correct forum for this question, but for a race-day tire combo, whats your take on stretching these Ikon 2.35's onto an i39 rim? I've seen a few of these tires and they seem wider than their 2.35 moniker would state.

THanks
    CJB

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
    I know this may not exactly be the correct forum for this question, but for a race-day tire combo, whats your take on stretching these Ikon 2.35's onto an i39 rim? I've seen a few of these tires and they seem wider than their 2.35 moniker would state.

THanks
    CJB
    The 2.35 Ikon is super high volume but I have only used them on 25mm & 30mm rims. They are perfect for those. But I donít know how they would work with the rim your talking about.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I just ordered a set of 29x2.6 Mezcals. Will be running them on a rigid SS, was hoping for a little extra cushion in the tires.

They are fast and cushy but holy effing holy are they fragile.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Have done 2 marathons so far.

Ran 2018 Conti Cross King 2.3 front with Aspen rear. Love this combo. Aspen rolls really fast and has just enough grip to get up the slippery climbs. The Cross King bites well in the loose and slippery stuff.

Next race ran 2.35 Ikon front and Aspen 2.2 rear. Also really good.

For the looser stuff I really like the Cross King as a front. Got a 2.2 on order. For corses with better grip the ikon 2.35 works for me.

Once my Aspen wears out I have a Rekon Race on deck as well as 2 ikon 2.2s for the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    They are fast and cushy but holy effing holy are they fragile.
    Wow! That has not been my experience at all. I've rubbed the sidewalls on rocks and stuff that I was sure would slice them, and they came through it fine. It makes me wonder what kind of problems you are having.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Let's talk tires!

Maxxis Aggressors 2.3 front and rear.
    Last edited by j102; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatso View Post
    Wow! That has not been my experience at all. I've rubbed the sidewalls on rocks and stuff that I was sure would slice them, and they came through it fine. It makes me wonder what kind of problems you are having.

I sliced a sidewall with no rocks in sight. Nothing within 6' of the trail. Slice was big enough to stick my thumb through, such that the tire was dead flat in 6'. Dropped the bike and walked back to see what had caused it. Could not find anything sharp, or pointy, or in any way capable of doing what had been done.

Booted and tubed it to get home, then tossed it in the trash. Had the same tire on the front at the time, but lost all trust in it. Still sitting on a shelf with maybe ~20 miles on it if anyone wants it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Addix Ray/Ralph ftw
    Iím using Ray/Ralph Addix Snakeskin on my HT and FS. So far so good. Last year I was using Ikon 2.35 Rekon Race 2.25. Worked great in SE Michigan.

I am Walt
    My SS endurance racing rig, with Ikon 2.35ís front and rear on Nox Farlow (29 mm)/I9 wheels. Tried and true combo on both loose over hard, and loose, sharp rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    RaRa/RaRa 2.35 last year. Ray/Ralph this year, but not super excited about dropping to a 2.25.

mtbr member
    My hardtail just got a new pair of 2.25 Aspen EXO. I have two wheel sets for my Blur and one of them is sporting the same Aspens, the other is set up with Ardent Race 2.35 up front and 2.2 in the back.
    I've been on specialized fast tracks for the last two seasons, but I tried out the Aspen and the AR last season and loved them, so I made the switch.
    2018 Santa Cruz Blur
    2015 Santa Cruz Highball
    2016 Jake The Snake

mtbr member
    I sliced a sidewall with no rocks in sight. Nothing within 6' of the trail. Slice was big enough to stick my thumb through, such that the tire was dead flat in 6'. Dropped the bike and walked back to see what had caused it. Could not find anything sharp, or pointy, or in any way capable of doing what had been done.

Booted and tubed it to get home, then tossed it in the trash. Had the same tire on the front at the time, but lost all trust in it. Still sitting on a shelf with maybe ~20 miles on it if anyone wants it.
    Which version were you running? They have multiple casing/sidewall options now, which I found to be a bit confusing at first. I ended up ordering the "XC-Trail" version, which appears to use the same sidewall protection as the old TNT labeled tires. The "XC" version looks to be the old just straight tubeless version with no sidewall protection.

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I ended up ordering the "XC-Trail" version, which appears to use the same sidewall protection as the old TNT labeled tires.
    Any chance you weighed them?
    -CJB

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedsteven View Post
    which version were you running? They have multiple casing/sidewall options now, which i found to be a bit confusing at first. I ended up ordering the "xc-trail" version, which appears to use the same sidewall protection as the old tnt labeled tires. The "xc" version looks to be the old just straight tubeless version with no sidewall protection.

tnt.

mtbr member
    Any chance you weighed them?
    -CJB
    I don't have them yet. They should be here today I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Forekaster 2.35 front, Ardent Race 2.35 rear. So far, loving the Forekaster but having issues with braking traction with the AR. This is my first foray into "xc" tires so it might just be that I need to modify technique or that the AR knobs are just not suited to my terrain. Mostly riding in loose, loose over hard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I wonder if it is possible that you damaged the tire somewhere else, and it just happened to fail where it did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

THanks
    CJB
    The tire is huge. Way bigger than many WT tires by maxxis

I ran them on Dirt components 30.1 MM internal rims and it was about 63mm at the sidewall and the tread was not flattened to the point it didnt make sense. the volume was huge though and echoing. IU am not sure if they would make sense on larger than an i35.

I assume you may be looking to try these on the stache?

You can borrow some of mine to see how they fit and if you like them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    bonty xr2 impresses me with it's lightweight yet it is still pretty tough and has more grip than it has any right to on hardpack.

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post

I assume you may be looking to try these on the stache?

You can borrow some of mine to see how they fit and if you like them.
    Correct. I may take you up on that! I'd really like to get a semi-cushy race-day tire setup for something like the Excruciation Exam. That event was one of the few places I felt a real limitation when racing the Stache. But at 70 mi and 60% road/gravel, I think thats to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    bonty xr2 impresses me with it's lightweight yet it is still pretty tough and has more grip than it has any right to on hardpack.
    I keep forgetting about this tire! I'm running 3.0" XR2's now and they are phenomenal tires with well-rounded stats. I need to look up the deets on the 2.6's....

Thanks
    CJB

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    Forekaster 2.35 front, Ardent Race 2.35 rear. So far, loving the Forekaster but having issues with braking traction with the AR. This is my first foray into "xc" tires so it might just be that I need to modify technique or that the AR knobs are just not suited to my terrain. Mostly riding in loose, loose over hard.
    No. I love me some Maxxis tires, but I don't think the Ardent Race is a good rear tire. Front only for that one IMO. Put the 2.35 IKON on the rear with that Forekaster front for races you need a lot of bite, put the AR on the front with IKON rear for races where you don't need as much bite.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    I concur

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Correct. I may take you up on that! I'd really like to get a semi-cushy race-day tire setup for something like the Excruciation Exam. That event was one of the few places I felt a real limitation when racing the Stache. But at 70 mi and 60% road/gravel, I think thats to be expected.

I keep forgetting about this tire! I'm running 3.0" XR2's now and they are phenomenal tires with well-rounded stats. I need to look up the deets on the 2.6's....

Thanks
    CJB
    I ran aspens and forekaster. Its too bad there isnt a big Aspen yet. they do make a 2.6 forekaster you can try for front, especially wet days.

My opponent who got me by one minute ran 40c gravel tires. He was an absolute mess once we got to a muddy Rocky Hill Ranch, but he made up enough time on the road. I didnt realize how close he was that I could have got him back at warda in the woods.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Forecaster front/rear (2.35) when chances of lousy weather are 50% all the time (WA).........???

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    ...Its too bad there isnt a big Aspen yet...
    word is it should be out soooooooooooooooooon

eri
    mtbr member

I had a snakeskin nobby nic tire zipper open once for no reason within 30 miles of riding. When I checked the inside of the tire the zipper was right through an area with missing casing inside. I'd seen it before I installed but trusted the maker. I sent photos to Schwalbe and they mailed me a new one.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

rr/rr

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    What's everyone running this year?
    i just got the new racing ray/ralph combo and looking forward to using them for my gravel races this year..hoping to keep up with the drop bar crowd on the flats!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had a run of bad luck on Schwalbe tyres, RoRo front, RaRa rear , both SS. I was getting side wall cuts and cuts through the tread. I moved to Vittoria, Barzo front, Mezcal rear. I really like them, tough in the rocky conditions I ride in, with no problems in over a year in the same conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    https://www.vittoria.com/us/terreno-cross-country.html
    I'm pretty excited to try these. They look like a bigger version of the gravel tire.

Colorado XCM Guy
    Jan 2009
    I've been trying Aspens the past few months. 2.1's, 2.25's in EXO and non-EXO... all tubeless. Lately just the 2.25 EXO/TR. I've had to stop looking down at the minimal tread and learn to trust them. Very good traction in most dry conditions. And crazy fast rolling and very nice turn transitions rolling from side to side. I guess the width of the contact patch and small but grippy thread makes them work. I'd compare them to fast traks, and not quite as grippy as the older Racing Ralph.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rekon 2.6/Ikon 2.6

No complaints, fast, durable, handles well.
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Pending: Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Still loving Vittoria Mezcals 2.35 front and 2.25 rear, with Anthracite protection. Somehow the 2.35 weighs less than the 2.25 (720/724). Yes they are a little heavier but they are so fast rolling, great traction (psi at 22/23) and good in all conditions to include wet conditions (not muddy). Also they wear really well as I can run one set of tires the entire race season. Never had a flat with them so I just reduce the sealant to 2 oz per tire to save a little rotational weight.
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | ďIf youíre not first youíre lastĒ

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just tried the 2.35 Ikon (30mm IW rim) on the front. (only 1 ride in so far) I think I see what all the hype is about. I had a short ride in mixed conditions yesterday hero dirt in places to a little mud with some roots (dry and damp). The tire was very predictable and did great. More testing is definitely in order.

mtbr member
    2 years ago I was sponsored by Mavic and used their tire (Pro Pulse) for Marathon/XC. They are super reliable and worked really good on all different types of terrain.

This year I am on Maxxis; Aspen front and rear for typical XC races and Recon Race in the rear with a Aspen Race 2.35 up front for rocky/technical courses.

jms
    mtbr member
    Though written about road tires, many, if not all of the principles of the experiments would apply, or possibly, be magnified with mountain biking:

https://www.roadbikerider.com/the-ti...-jan-heine-d1/
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395 View Post
    2 years ago I was sponsored by Mavic and used their tire (Pro Pulse) for Marathon/XC. They are super reliable and worked really good on all different types of terrain.

This year I am on Maxxis; Aspen front and rear for typical XC races and Recon Race in the rear with a Aspen Race 2.35 up front for rocky/technical courses.

Is Aspen Race 2.35 new? Or did you mean Ardent Race? Iíd be interested in an Aspen in 2.35.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    Is Aspen Race 2.35 new? Or did you mean Ardent Race? Iíd be interested in an Aspen in 2.35.

My mistake I should have said Ardent Race

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    No. I love me some Maxxis tires, but I don't think the Ardent Race is a good rear tire. Front only for that one IMO. Put the 2.35 IKON on the rear with that Forekaster front for races you need a lot of bite, put the AR on the front with IKON rear for races where you don't need as much bite.
    Ok, after several rides Iím with you, itís clear the AR is not the rear tire for me. However, Iím having doubts about putting it up front too. Iím in the Front Range, so trails are loose over hard, rocky, decomposed granite. I just donít see how the AR will give me the front purchase I need. Thoughts on the IKON you mentioned for my conditions up front? Or maybe other ideas?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    Ok, after several rides Iím with you, itís clear the AR is not the rear tire for me. However, Iím having doubts about putting it up front too. Iím in the Front Range, so trails are loose over hard, rocky, decomposed granite. I just donít see how the AR will give me the front purchase I need. Thoughts on the IKON you mentioned for my conditions up front? Or maybe other ideas?
    Ardent/Ardent Race is a horrible front tire, IMO, particularly for what you describe, which we have much of here in AZ. That profile just doesnít hook up. Iíve been running 2.35 Ikons for years, and they hook up way better than you think they will, and way better than the Ardents. Highly recommend Ikons for those conditions.

FWIW, the regular Ardent 2.4 works great as a trail bike rear tire. I run one on my Primer.

Ride more; post less...