Leadville 2020- Mtbr.com

Thread: Leadville 2020

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Leadville 2020

Well, figure since I'm excited about my first Leadville race I will start the race thread for the year! Lottery situation was... confusing but glad they sorted it and let people in.

Who's in, whats your training plan from now till race day?

Doing Rattler, Castell Grind, and Firecracker 50 up to LT100.
    2018 Santa Cruz Blur X01 Reserve
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 C
    2016 Look 695 Aerolite

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I got in through the snafu! I am doing the Gunnison Growler, will probably do the Silver Rush 50 and a couple of charity road rides in the mountains. May also do a couple of rides in the local endurance series. Still planning it out.

livin' the dream......
    I have read bits of info, but not 100% sure what happened with the lottery?
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    I have read bits of info, but not 100% sure what happened with the lottery?
    They sent out the "Congrats" and "Sorry you didn't make the cut" emails and about an hours and a half later a bunch of people, including myself, got an email from the registration site saying "congrats you got in!". Credit card was charged, people apparently saw the charge and second email, booked flights and rooms. Not sure how many got effected be it but they chose to let the people that got charged in since people would be losing money from non-refundable flights and stuff. Seems they charged the wrong group of people at first.
    2018 Santa Cruz Blur X01 Reserve
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 C
    2016 Look 695 Aerolite

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I made it in through the snafu. I'm doing the Tahoe Race, some long road rides and many long mountain bike rides with a buddy also training.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I got in at a qualifier last year and chose a 2020 entry. By the email I got about lottery I assumed they messed up and let way too many people in. Hope it gets sorted out before race day as itís packed enough as it is. I assume if not enough people defer to next year theyíll just have to cut back on the lottery slots that are given at the qualifiers which would be a bummer.

As for the build I plan on doing Hundito and SR 50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    I got in at a qualifier last year and chose a 2020 entry. By the email I got about lottery I assumed they messed up and let way too many people in. Hope it gets sorted out before race day as itís packed enough as it is. I assume if not enough people defer to next year theyíll just have to cut back on the lottery slots that are given at the qualifiers which would be a bummer.

As for the build I plan on doing Hundito and SR 50.
    Email I got said no coins will be given out for slots in this years race for qualifiers. The coins will be for 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What are people who plan on finishing 10-9 hours doing for gearing? 32-50? 34-50?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Front: oval 28. Rear: Eagle 10-50. Last year was 9:40. I will stick with it for this year as well even while being another 1/2 watt per kilo stronger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Aren't' you spun out on the road sections? What corral did you start in? I was reading that some of the climbs are 2.5 mph. Did you find that correct?

Occasionally engagedÖ
    Quote Originally Posted by piercebrew View Post
    Aren't' you spun out on the road sections?
    People go under 9 hours on single speeds -- 34x19 (52 gear inches on a 29er) is the largest gear that I know was used on a single speed that went under 9 hours. My point is that the top end gear of a 28x10 (81 gear inches on a 29er) is more than you need to finish in under 10 hours.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Aren't' you spun out on the road sections? What corral did you start in? I was reading that some of the climbs are 2.5 mph. Did you find that correct?
    Unless you're in the first 2 or 3 corrals St. Kevins (first real climb) is slow as hell because of how congested it is. Like literally as slow as you can possibly ride without falling over because you're wheel to wheel and shoulder to shoulder with other people.

Also be prepared for sections that will be too steep to ride regardless of your gearing unless you're a in the extremely point end of the race. This is a combination of grade, altitude, and congestion on the course. If one person in front of you puts a foot down then the whole section turns into a conga line.

Last time I raced it a few years ago was on a 30T with an 11-speed e*thirteen 9-46 cassette. Finished 9:50 on my first attempt at it, also was riding a 30 pound trail bike. I think I came close to spinning out on the road section but it was non-issue. Whether you spin out on the road section depends a lot on what the winds are and whether you are in a good pack.

This year I'm training to go sub-9, currently in red corral with a chance of getting to silver if this summer goes well. Currently have a 30T with 10-50 eagle for riding in CO. If I hit my FTP goal I'm planning on going to 32T for the race but my gut feel is that most people's problem is being under-geared not over-geared.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Leadville 2020-3fec07e1-a029-4abe-8204-b3b054eecbe9.jpg
    Purple corral.

No, I never spun out on the flats. If it was over 22mph I was tucking and resting.

mtbr member
    I was in green and rode 30 x 11-42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk