Leadville 2018!- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leadville 2018!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Leadville 2018!

Let's kick this thing off.
    Leadville 2018 will be here before you know it.
    Who's 'in'?... are you ready?

My wife and I are gearing up for our 3rd year at Leadville. I'm really starting to get excited for it. We are both 'in'... the wife already has a qualifying time in the 'Red' corral, but I don't have a corral time yet. The trash talk around the house has already started. I will be racing Tahoe Trail 100 for a corral time.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I will be there. First time and in the green corral. Jeremy

livin' the dream......
    DNF'd / missed the time cut off by a few minutes at Twin Lakes inbound last year. Did not try to get in this year, but will likely try again at some point.

First timers, enjoy!! Just wait until you are HAB'ing past Ken part way up Columbine as he sits on his quad watching you suffer. I will never forget that moment
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Congrats Jeremy... Green corral is a great place to be. I misspoke in my first post... I DO have a corral, just not where I want to be! I want to be in green, but currently I am in Purple.

TJKM - I remember that moment from 2016. As I was suffering up the HAB, I saw him sitting there and said "Ken, What are you doing to us?!?!" and he replied "I'm making you stronger!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Another first timer here and I will be in the red corral. Cant wait!

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by caad4rep View Post
    Another first timer here and I will be in the red corral. Cant wait!
    The red corral is a great place to be; you are far enough forward to avoid the crush at the road/dirt pinch point but far enough back that you don't have to shred yourself to keep up on the run up to Kevins. Good luck to all racers!

mtbr member
    Red is what I want too.. Going to give it a shot in a few weeks at the Silver Rush.. Man Im excited about it too this year.. Training smarter and harder than last year, need to cut 33 minutes off last years time for the Big Buckle..

Ken ask us on Columbine, "How much did you pay for that bike? You need to pedal that thing not push it" haha

Quote Originally Posted by DITD View Post
    Red is what I want too.. Going to give it a shot in a few weeks at the Silver Rush.. Man Im excited about it too this year.. Training smarter and harder than last year, need to cut 33 minutes off last years time for the Big Buckle..

Ken ask us on Columbine, "How much did you pay for that bike? You need to pedal that thing not push it" haha
    If you're looking for a big buckle you need to still be pedaling at the place where Ken sits and heckles. Quarter mile further on where the trail narrows and goes straight up for a bit, get off and push. It's a fairly short section then you start riding again. There's a longer section further up, kind of an "s" bend, which is another HAB but after that you should be able to ride all the way to the turnaround.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Can i assume that HAB is Hike A Bike?

On Columbine, is HAB the only way due to crowding, the altitude, how narrow the path is, the gradient or all of the above? Looking at Strava, it appears that the average gradient is 8% which i would not typically think is HAB. Just curious why the consensus is HAB there (or am i confused)??

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by Bordeauxman View Post

On Columbine, is HAB the only way due to crowding, the altitude, how narrow the path is, the gradient or all of the above? Looking at Strava, it appears that the average gradient is 8% which i would not typically think is HAB. Just curious why the consensus is HAB there (or am i confused)??
    HAB = hike a bike

For me, altitude and gradient got me. I actually felt like I needed a nap on the side of the trail at one point. I think that was an altitude thing vs. exertion. It does get rideable again as you approach the turn around.

livin' the dream......
    Curious - anyone running a plus tire bike this year? I only saw 2 29+ bikes last year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

It's hard to see on Strava, but a couple of miles from the top, it tilts up a little more and becomes narrow and rocky. Between the conga-line of riders in front of you, the riders bombing down, the altitude... you will likely be walking some. There is only room for one line going up and another line for riders descending. To make a pass, you have to wait for a gap in descenders and go for a fast pass. Because it is such an endless conga-line going up, passing isn't going to get you very far.

Once you get about a mile from the turn around, you will be able to ride again.

If you are in the Red corral, or have moved up into a faster group of riders... you will have more opportunities to ride vs walk. I don't sweat it too much, I just consider it saving my legs for later in the day. Trust me... if you love steep climbs... you are going to have all you can handle when you hit Powerlines on the way back!

If it is your first time... know this... you hear a lot about Columbine, but you have to remember... climbing Columbine only gets you to the halfway point. Columbine is really long, but it's actually not all that bad. Mostly, it's a beautiful climb through an Aspen forest. The Powerlines climb on the way back... that's where you will be tested mentally and physically. It's long, it's steep and its at mile 80!

Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    HAB = hike a bike

For me, altitude and gradient got me. I actually felt like I needed a nap on the side of the trail at one point. I think that was an altitude thing vs. exertion. It does get rideable again as you approach the turn around.
    I had to stop and catch my breath on the upper HAB, it's above 12K ft so any kind of exertion is an effort. To answer the previous comment, the trail may be 8% average grade but it's stepped; the HAB sections are ~20% which is still rideable but on race day too crowded with hikers climbing and racers coming back down. Even many of the pro's walk it. Better off saving yourself for Powerline on the way back, you can make up minutes by riding that rather than walking it and by the time you get there the racers will have thinned out so you won't have to deal with so many people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Curious - anyone running a plus tire bike this year? I only saw 2 29+ bikes last year.
    I would ride whatever makes you feel comfortable, confident and faster... if that's plus sized tires... I wouldn't hesitate to run them. It's a very long day, whatever stokes your mojo, run it!

The course is not very challenging. I run fast rolling XC tires (Panaracer DriverPro 2.2) I avoid 'race-day' tires because I don't want to ruin my day with a sidewall cut.

livin' the dream......
    [QUOTE=sdcadbiker;13717322]If you're looking for a big buckle you need to still be pedaling at the place where Ken sits and heckles.

100% agree.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    I would ride whatever makes you feel comfortable, confident and faster... if that's plus sized tires... I wouldn't hesitate to run them. It's a very long day, whatever stokes your mojo, run it!

The course is not very challenging. I run fast rolling XC tires (Panaracer DriverPro 2.2) I avoid 'race-day' tires because I don't want to ruin my day with a sidewall cut.
    Agreed. Its a long day and comfort is a factor. I ran Fast Tracks 2.3/2.1 last year and felt they were appropriate.

I only ask as I have purchased a 27.5+ HT since the race last year, and it would be a coin toss as to which bike I would ride if I was in for this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I qualified for the 2018 LT 100, but won't be able to ride it due to ankle surgery earlier in the year. I'll probably defer until next year and give it another go - I rode it last year and really enjoyed it.
    I hope everyone here has a good time riding up to 12.5k feet!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm in, first year. Qualified into purple at Silver Rush last year but that ride was very 'sub-optimal' in terms of training, start placement and some other equipment decisions. My plan was to qualify into Green at silver rush this year which I think would be extremely doable, but ended up not signing up due to a schedule conflict.

I'm bummed to be in purple because I got caught behind tons of walkers at Silver Rush last year and lost a bunch of time, I assume the same will happen to me this year in purple in the 100. That said, I'm not in big buckle shape either way so doesn't matter that much I suppose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

If it is your first time... know this... you hear a lot about Columbine, but you have to remember... climbing Columbine only gets you to the halfway point. Columbine is really long, but it's actually not all that bad. Mostly, it's a beautiful climb through an Aspen forest. The Powerlines climb on the way back... that's where you will be tested mentally and physically. It's long, it's steep and its at mile 80!
    Quoted for truth. I suffered on Columbine, but the major suffering is much later in the day.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A couple more questions and TIA!

1) What does one have to do for the different belt buckles? I looked on the awards section of the race website, but I did not see an explanation.

2) Can a racer have drop bags for multiple aid stations?

3) On average, do green start participants go with bottles or hydro-packs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    I'm in, first year. Qualified into purple at Silver Rush last year but that ride was very 'sub-optimal' in terms of training, start placement and some other equipment decisions. My plan was to qualify into Green at silver rush this year which I think would be extremely doable, but ended up not signing up due to a schedule conflict.

I'm bummed to be in purple because I got caught behind tons of walkers at Silver Rush last year and lost a bunch of time, I assume the same will happen to me this year in purple in the 100. That said, I'm not in big buckle shape either way so doesn't matter that much I suppose.
    I was in the green start corral last year, and due to my pacing, I'd bet a decent portion of the purple corral passed me in the initial hrs of the race.
    The first place you will hike-a-bike in the LT 100 is on Columbine, 4+ hours into the race. By this point, everyone around me was hiking, and riding really isn't really an option as its too steep. If riding was an option for you, you'd be a strong enough rider where you'd be 60 mins ahead of this pace to begin with
    So with a purple start corral, I wouldn't worry too much about getting caught like the SR (and unlike the SR, the LT100 actually has start corrals).
    It is however worth pushing your pace a little in the beginning to get to the St Kevins climb with your group so you avoid any hikers. I'd expect not many people in the purple corral hikes on St Kevins (some do), but hiking among people in further back corrals will be more common. And the hikers on Kevins are slower than the bikers, so there is somewhat of a risk of getting slowed down if you don't get to Kevins in the right group.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A couple more questions and TIA!

1) What does one have to do for the different belt buckles? I looked on the awards section of the race website, but I did not see an explanation.

2) Can a racer have drop bags for multiple aid stations?

3) On average, do green start participants go with bottles or hydro-packs?
    Buckles:
    Most of us are only concerned with two buckles... you get the 'Big Buckle' if you go under 9 hours, you get the regular buckle (which is still a beauty) if you finish between 9 and 12 hours.

There are other buckles that range from 'really big' to 'shield' size buckles. Those buckles are awarded to racers who have completed 10 or more Leadville Races.

Drop bags:
    Read the Athlete Guide, all your questions will be answered. Page 15 - Drop Bags
    http://l283s3pxq2ktw6gs37ski16ee.wpe...UIDE-FINAL.pdf

I will add a couple of thoughts... my first year I was paranoid about support and drop-bags. In reality, the aid stations and neutral support out on the course are fantastic! You could easily line up with nothing but two bottles on your bike and 'Live off the course'.
    My wife and I have a friend who is at Twin Lakes and helps out. When you are tired, it's good to see a friendly face and have someone hand you what you need... but it's not really all that necessary. A drop bag at the aid station is just fine. They seem to be pretty fast at retrieving them for you and the workers at all of the aid stations could not be nicer and more helpful. They will take care of you!
    So... how to use a drop bag... I put a couple of spare parts in my drop bag, things that you might need to restock... tubes, CO2, or even anything that you think might break... like a derailleur hanger. Nutrition-wise, I just stock the bag with things that I like but that might not be available at the official aid stations... I like to use Hammer Perpeteum, so I pack extra powder-mix. Since I have a friend helping at Twin-Lakes, they have a cooler with pre-mixed bottles so that I can just pull over, toss out depleted bottles and grab the cold ones. Then my friend mixes bottles while I am up on Columbine and I get to swap again when I am on my way back to town. The last consideration for your drop is clothing. You'll be monitoring weather all day. You might want to dump clothes as the day warms up and you might need to pick up something if afternoon showers roll-in. I usually dump arm warmers and leg warmers, but keep a light jacket... it can be a bit chilly up on Columbine and it's nice to throw on a jacket for the long descent. While I have always lucked out, thunderstorms are usually building in the afternoon... so you will want to have a jacket with you for later in the day.

Bottles:
    As noted above, you can live off the course. IMO - it's much faster to refill bottles at aid stations than bladders. Leadville aid stations work like this... you wheel up, pull your water bottle, unscrew the cap, aid station worker comes running over with a pitcher of water in one hand and electrolyte mix in the other... you state your preference, they dump-in the desired liquid, you screw on the cap and you are off... you don't even need to get of the bike.
    The aid stations are close enough that you don't need anything more.
    Having said this, if I only had one bottle cage... I might consider a bladder.

At the fish hatchery, I had a guy run alongside me as I climbed a hill and he refilled my bottle as I rode.
    At the bottom of Powerlines, there is always a guy handing-up Dr Pepper (why Dr Pepper, I don't know).

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Qualified but will defer to 2019 race due to scheduling conflicts. Will be in the silver corral. Only used bottles last time and worked out great. The Columbine descent definitely gets cold- threw a vest on for that. Powerline was definitely the harder of the climbs, especially the beginning section (I had cramps every time I tried to put down any kind of power).

IMO the SR50 is actually harder than the 100! I cannot wait, training for a year with this race as a goal race is really motivating. I miss the crowd and great atmosphere of that race!!

Good luck to everyone racing it this year!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I qualified in the red corral from whiteface. I'm looking forward to my first attempt, and hoping to get the big buckle.

I'm running a ti 29er with 2.25 Vittoria mezcal tires. Leaning towards a CamelBak with skratch and a single bottle for water.

I'm staying in town and supporting my friends the next weekend in the leadman series as they finish off with 100 mile trail run.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    HEading to leadville for 3rd time moved up to red corral. Started in purple last two times and had to hammer from the start to make it forward through enough to settle in on Kevin’s.. Definetly pumped to have moved past all of that prior to the start.....Running FS scalpel 1x10-50.......what front ring have people been using ??? I had been on 2x in the past uped the gear to 36 from 32.....Any of you have any throughts on whether this is too much or not? Figure I will be walking on Columbine and first 1/2 km of power line and little stinker......

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    For first time racers at LT100 look up the Fat Cyclist blog as he does a great job of breaking down the race and has some podcasts on the event also. I followed his advice back in 2011 and started at the very back of the pack on a SS geared 32x20 and got the smaller buckle comfortably. Things will open up after the hectic start so be patient. Thinking about going back someday. Enjoy the day and take the whole experience in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was in green last year and didn't have to do anything crazy to stay on pace for a sub-9. Just line up at the front of green and scoot across into the back of red as soon as they remove the barriers.

My race took a turn for the worse after the top of Columbine (knee issue), but even with HAB for the whole top of Columbine, I was at the top at 4:34. Rode with a power meter, and in case anyone is interested, I can share my pacing spreadsheet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    and in case anyone is interested, I can share my pacing spreadsheet.
    I would love to see your pace-sheet.
    The first time I did Leadville, I pieced together a pace timeline from various info on the web... it wasn't even close! During the course of the race, I vacillated between over-confidence that I was ahead and shear panic that I was way off. I would love to see someone's actual experience to a sub-9. I'm not sure that I have a sub-9 in me this year, but I'd like to try. I'll send a PM with my email address.
    Thanks for offering!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'd like to see pacing info too. From people who've raced it in the last few years. Not from 2011

I would love to see your pace-sheet.
    The first time I did Leadville, I pieced together a pace timeline from various info on the web... it wasn't even close! During the course of the race, I vacillated between over-confidence that I was ahead and shear panic that I was way off. I would love to see someone's actual experience to a sub-9. I'm not sure that I have a sub-9 in me this year, but I'd like to try. I'll send a PM with my email address.
    Thanks for offering!
    As an example, here are my time splits for a 9 hour finish:
    Carter Summit: 50 mins
    Pipeline: 2:05
    Dam: 2:50
    Columbine: 4:45
    Dam: 5:15
    Pipeline: 6:15
    Carter: 8:00

Note that I always suck on Columbine so you may be able to pick up some slack there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Okay, here is a link to the spreadsheet my coach and I used:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Strava link to results: https://www.strava.com/activities/1130623109

I was 163lbs on race day, roughly 310-315w FTP. Rode a hardtail weighing around 23pounds, Vittoria Mezcal tires front and rear.

The first half of the race went more or less according to plan. My race came off the rails when my right knee more or less stopped working. I couldn't pedal without excruciating pain unless I was standing, and I really messed up hard on nutrition/hydration around that time as well. I sat at the Pipeline aid station for probably 45min to an hour and nearly quit. I eventually got back on the bike and I had to walk all of Powerline.

Things I would have changed:

#1. Ran a 30T chainring and E13 9-46 cassette so I could have climbed more of the top of Columbine

#2. Swapped my fork to a 120mm Fox 34 for some extra compliance.

#3. Worn a Camelbak up Columbine so I could have drank fluids on the way down.

I think if I had done those 3 things, I would have my 9 hour buckle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    I'd like to see pacing info too. From people who've raced it in the last few years. Not from 2011
    pffft - cause it was a harder race then. I understand

Quote Originally Posted by SkolinIN View Post
    pffft - cause it was a harder race then. I understand
    Maybe because the course was slightly re-routed in 2012 to include a singletrack trail?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    Maybe because the course was slightly re-routed in 2012 to include a singletrack trail?
    And because pacing with thousands of others will be different compared to hundreds.

mtbr member
    Okay, here is a link to the spreadsheet my coach and I used:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Strava link to results: https://www.strava.com/activities/1130623109

I was 163lbs on race day, roughly 310-315w FTP. Rode a hardtail weighing around 23pounds, Vittoria Mezcal tires front and rear.

The first half of the race went more or less according to plan. My race came off the rails when my right knee more or less stopped working. I couldn't pedal without excruciating pain unless I was standing, and I really messed up hard on nutrition/hydration around that time as well. I sat at the Pipeline aid station for probably 45min to an hour and nearly quit. I eventually got back on the bike and I had to walk all of Powerline.

Things I would have changed:

#1. Ran a 30T chainring and E13 9-46 cassette so I could have climbed more of the top of Columbine

#2. Swapped my fork to a 120mm Fox 34 for some extra compliance.

#3. Worn a Camelbak up Columbine so I could have drank fluids on the way down.

I think if I had done those 3 things, I would have my 9 hour buckle.
    Couple things I’ll mention from my 2017 ride at Leadville that I felt were mistakes that got me.

#1. I ran a 30 11-42 gearing and felt like I got killed on the road sections but was good for the climbs. So this is a tricky one. Go for climbs or road sections??

#2. Biggest mistake I didn’t take enough water up Columbine. I was super dehydrated getting at the top and put me way behind for the remainder of the race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post
    Couple things I’ll mention from my 2017 ride at Leadville that I felt were mistakes that got me.

#1. I ran a 30 11-42 gearing and felt like I got killed on the road sections but was good for the climbs. So this is a tricky one. Go for climbs or road sections??

#2. Biggest mistake I didn’t take enough water up Columbine. I was super dehydrated getting at the top and put me way behind for the remainder of the race.

+1 to the hydration on Columbine

I agree that a 30 with an 11t wouldn’t be enough on the flats between Powerlinr and Twin Lakes. That’s why I referenced the E13 cassette with the super small 9t cog which on a 30t would give you a much higher top end speed. Or run Eagle with a 34t or 32t up front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

I agree that a 30 with an 11t wouldn�t be enough on the flats between Powerlinr and Twin Lakes. That�s why I referenced the E13 cassette with the super small 9t cog which on a 30t would give you a much higher top end speed. Or run Eagle with a 34t or 32t up front.
    I'm running a 30t and an E13 TRSr (9-46), same setup I used at silver rush. I honestly could have used a 28t there but from what I understand there isn't nearly as much smooth road there as there is in the 100.

Unfortunately I'll be running that setup on a 28lb FS trail bike instead of a ~20lb short travel or hard tail. Maybe I'll build up something more purpose built in the future but can't justify it now given the type of riding I do the other 99% of the time.

I currently have 2.40 ardents on my trail bike, so I'll probably swap the tires out to something more racey in the 2.25 range. I was thinking Ardent Race's but if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm running a 30t and an E13 TRSr (9-46), same setup I used at silver rush. I honestly could have used a 28t there but from what I understand there isn't nearly as much smooth road there as there is in the 100.

Unfortunately I'll be running that setup on a 28lb FS trail bike instead of a ~20lb short travel or hard tail. Maybe I'll build up something more purpose built in the future but can't justify it now given the type of riding I do the other 99% of the time.

I currently have 2.40 ardents on my trail bike, so I'll probably swap the tires out to something more racey in the 2.25 range. I was thinking Ardent Race's but if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.
    Mezcal G+, Aspen 2.25, or Bontrager XR1 or XR2 are all good choices. I ran Mezcals (and still do)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for all the pace info.

I will say one obvious, but critical thought about pacing.
    Hitting the numbers outbound isn't so hard... it's the return when you are super tired.
    You've got to have good endurance and good nutrition. I always find it hard to really push myself when I get to mile 60-70-80.

With regard to gearing, there were so many 1x riders going backwards through the field last year between the start and St Kevins. Position is pretty important in those miles... choose wisely!
    Last edited by TTUB; 07-02-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Occasionally engaged…
    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post

As per the wonderful Sheldon Brown Gear calculator, if you have a 29x2.125 tire and spin a 175 mm crankarm geared 28x11 at 100 RPM you will go 20.9 mph, and 22.4 mph with a 30x11 and 23.9 mph with a 32x11. Drop the cog to a 10 (say with Sram Eagle) and you will go 23, 24.7, and 26.3 mph respectively. I humbly submit that's any of these gear combinations are more than enough top-end for anything at Leadville. People break 9 hours on single speeds on gearing that probably never exceeds 34x19 on a 29er, giving you 14.7 mph at 100 rpm. Of course you can (and should) be able to spin faster and hence go faster. My experience at Leadville (albeit sometime ago) says sub 9 is possible without much of a top-end when it comes to gearing. More gears where you spend most of your pedaling time is much more important over the course the day, and knowing how to sit in the draft on fast sections is worth a couple of gears on the top end. YMMV.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptor View Post
    People break 9 hours on single speeds on gearing that probably never exceeds 34x19 on a 29er, giving you 14.7 mph at 100 rpm. Of course you can (and should) be able to spin faster and hence go faster. My experience at Leadville (albeit sometime ago) says sub 9 is possible without much of a top-end when it comes to gearing. More gears where you spend most of your pedaling time is much more important over the course the day, and knowing how to sit in the draft on fast sections is worth a couple of gears on the top end. YMMV.
    The logic (& experience) in your statement is correct. But IMHO the application of how it works (and why) with SS'ers is flawed. Thus, I think if geared (1x?) riders are looking to use some of these nuggets in your comment for their own application, they could be misguided.

Yes, SS'er go sub 9hr at LT100, and do it with "spinny" gearing. But my experience is that many SSers are strong (often times wirey) riders who can climb like maniacs. They can stay on top of what ends up being a fairly "monster" gearing for us 1x mortals. Thus they make up their disadvantage (in the flats & peloton), by keeping a pace on the ascent that is significantly greater. Thus is you break up the amount of time spent 'climbing' vs riding 'flat or descending' you'll see that there is a much greater percentage of time to be "made up" while climbing. This is what I think is the key to the SS'ers going sub-9hr. It has very little to do with much of their time/ability on the flats.

Once again, I bring this up to assist those of us who are not made/built to be SSers. Our physics, bio-mechanics and riding rhythms are just very different. I myself have to maximize both ends of the climbing and flats/peloton perspectives.

Later,
    CJB

PS- after re-reading this, I can summarize it like this: As someone who is NOT a natural climber, I need to get all the advantage I can going uphill, while still being able to not loose some of my natural strengths as a descender and/or rolling terrain tempo rider.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

I agree that a 30 with an 11t wouldn’t be enough on the flats between Powerlinr and Twin Lakes. That’s why I referenced the E13 cassette with the super small 9t cog which on a 30t would give you a much higher top end speed. Or run Eagle with a 34t or 32t up front.
    Last year I ran Eagle with a 32 tooth chain ring. That worked out great.

To be honest, for the LT 100, spinning out for the few miles on roads is a much lesser concern than having easy enough gearing for the multiple hours of climbing you'll be doing. If you can get both the right high end and low end gearing through using Eagle or similar, great. If you have to prioritize one over the other, its a no brainer, prioritize an easy gear for the climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    With regard to gearing, there were so many 1x riders going backwards through the field last year between the start and St Kevins. Position is pretty important in those miles... choose wisely!
    And there was the crash 100 feet from the start line!

mtbr member
    I'm in for a third time, but first since 2011. Getting in Fri AM and going for it. I have heard the course has changed a bit, but won't have a chance to check it out first hand until race day.

Good luck everyone, and hope you get the buckle you are looking for.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    I'm in for a third time, but first since 2011. Getting in Fri AM and going for it. I have heard the course has changed a bit, but won't have a chance to check it out first hand until race day.

Good luck everyone, and hope you get the buckle you are looking for.
    It's no biggie and actually an improvement, a couple miles of 3% grade singletrack inbetween Pipeline and the dam. It takes 5 minutes outbound and 13 minutes inbound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    It's no biggie and actually an improvement, a couple miles of 3% grade singletrack inbetween Pipeline and the dam. It takes 5 minutes outbound and 13 minutes inbound.
    There was a short non tech single track in that spot back in 11. People tell me that St Kevin's is pretty much rideable from any line. I won't have a chance to ride a qualifier and improve my start position. Decided to enter the lotto for some personal reasons and surprisingly got in. Figure sub 9 would be a stretch at any fitness level for me and sub 12 is pretty manageable. Since my last Leadville, I have 5 BWR's, 1 dirty Kanza and a bunch of other crazy stuff under my belt, so will be interesting to see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There was a short non tech single track in that spot back in 11. People tell me that St Kevin's is pretty much rideable from any line. I won't have a chance to ride a qualifier and improve my start position. Decided to enter the lotto for some personal reasons and surprisingly got in. Figure sub 9 would be a stretch at any fitness level for me and sub 12 is pretty manageable. Since my last Leadville, I have 5 BWR's, 1 dirty Kanza and a bunch of other crazy stuff under my belt, so will be interesting to see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Always remember...there is a guy that ALWAYS starts dead last for charity and he most often goes sub 9. Can be done! Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    EBrider - I had a friend start dead last corral. I started in Purple. He cuaght me at the bottom of StK and went under 9 easily. Can be done... not by me... but can be done!

I just got home from Tahoe Trail 100... attempted to improve my corral to Green, but fell short. Hot and dusty and dry... I had some cramping issues on lap 2 and had to slow down to resolve it for about 10 miles. Well, it was good training at least!

mtbr member
    Yep, you should be good to go at Leadville. I agree completely on starting position. Maybe it's a 15 or 20 minute advantage and there are plenty of riders well under 9. My understanding is that now it goes on chip time, so other than traffic time on a lot of wide fire roads, no big deal.

I volunteered at Twin Lakes a while back. I think it was the year after they showed Merilee giving everyone that missed the twin lakes cutoff time in the Rats movie. She was out that year, so they asked me to do the cuts. We waited until about 40 minutes after the cutoff time before pulling people from the race. I think half the people blamed their starting position. The other half looked relieved.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Tell me, what pieces of gear have you wished you brought with you to Leadville or forgotten in your packing?

What did you bring that you shouldn't have?

mtbr member
    Tell me, what pieces of gear have you wished you brought with you to Leadville or forgotten in your packing?

Conditions change quickly in the mountains. Don't bother looking at a weather forecast. Bring everything you own to Leadville and you can probably eliminate some items race morning. Have your crew bring rain gear, etc to twin lakes even if you don't think you will need it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

spare lungs

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I wish I would have:

#1. Gotten a 9-46 cassette (was running 11 speed) or used a smaller chainring (30t instead of 32t)

#2. Worn a camelbak to get fluids/calories in going down Columbine

Everything else on my packing list turned out to be useful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    With a single chance to pre ride on Thursday afternoon or Friday, what section would you most recommended getting a look at, without wasting myself for the main event?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    With a single chance to pre ride on Thursday afternoon or Friday, what section would you most recommended getting a look at, without wasting myself for the main event?
    Start section + lower Powerline climb/descent + finish

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Start section + lower Powerline climb/descent + finish
    Agreed. Probably no need to ride all of powerline, but ride up from the bottom for a ways....and the finish part you want to see is the "boulevard' section. Worth putting an eyeball on that just so you know what to expect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    My recommendation would be to ride the start, up Kevins, back down, then up the Boulevard. This will allow you to know what to expect in the first ~60 mins of the race, which may help alleviate any early jitters/nerves you might have on race day. And also allow you to see the Boulevard, so you are not surprised by an unexpected climb and the final kick in the nuts.

Pre-riding other parts of the course also have their merits, but I think are of less value, as when you preride them you are fresh, vs. when you ride them in the race, you won't be. E.g. on my pre-ride of the powerline climb, I only did 2 short sections of hike-a-bike, but on race day, a I did about 10x that.

mtbr member
    I would ask are there any parts that you are worried about or causes you stress not knowing?

Ride those to put your mind at ease.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    What do you guys think about the importance of pre-riding in general? I hadn't planned on pre-riding any of it and to this point I hadn't been stressed about it.

I've done multiple 10+ hour endurance events in the past and am pretty familiar with the suffering I'm in for. I do long climbs at altitude pretty regularly, have done silver rush, and ride what I believe to be more technical terrain on a regular basis based on everything I've heard.

None of this is to say that I think I'm going to dominate the race, I think it will be a total slog. I don't have a super aggressive time goal though so up to this point I've just been planning on grinding it out without getting too worked up over it. I could ride a bit on thursday though if the consensus is it's really worth doing some scouting.

mtbr member
    What do you guys think about the importance of pre-riding in general? I hadn't planned on pre-riding any of it and to this point I hadn't been stressed about it.

I've done multiple 10+ hour endurance events in the past and am pretty familiar with the suffering I'm in for. I do long climbs at altitude pretty regularly, have done silver rush, and ride what I believe to be more technical terrain on a regular basis based on everything I've heard.

None of this is to say that I think I'm going to dominate the race, I think it will be a total slog. I don't have a super aggressive time goal though so up to this point I've just been planning on grinding it out without getting too worked up over it. I could ride a bit on thursday though if the consensus is it's really worth doing some scouting.
    If you are familiar with endurance races and not contending, its probably no big deal. There are a lot of fired up riders there for most of the week, so a lot of pre riding gets done whether it needs to or not. I don't think that is the case with many events.

The only remotely sketchy part is the last part of the power line descent. The other issue is the amount of traffic from having 1,500 riders on the course, but pre riding won't help with that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    If you are familiar with endurance races and not contending, its probably no big deal. There are a lot of fired up riders there for most of the week, so a lot of pre riding gets done whether it needs to or not. I don't think that is the case with many events.

The only remotely sketchy part is the last part of the power line descent. The other issue is the amount of traffic from having 1,500 riders on the course, but pre riding won't help with that.
    I had the chance to pre-ride 90% of the course as a training ride a few weeks before the race, and the biggest thing it helped with was mentally knowing what was coming up (although I can see some not wanting to know that!).

If you are in Leadville for just for a couple of days before the race, you obviously won't be able to pre-ride much of the course. The only reason you might want to pre-ride any of it is if you are going out to spin your legs anyway. And if this is the case, I'd ride Kevins so you know what the first 60 mins of the course look like - might make it easier to pace that section and not get caught up in the over enthusiasm of the crowds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Anyone have a good recommendation for a simple and cheap bar or wrist mounted timer that I can use for reminding me to eat/drink every 15 minutes or 45 minutes? I use a Wahoo Elemnt which does not seem to have that feature. I'm assuming an inexpensive digital watch could do this but maybe there is a better, still inexpensive option (besides buying a Garmin)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Does anyone ride with a dropper? Other than perhaps the Powerline descent, is there any value in having one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    Does anyone ride with a dropper? Other than perhaps the Powerline descent, is there any value in having one?
    I rode without one and it’s not necessary but if I ever do Leadville again, I’ll def use a dropper only for having a more comfortable body position and being able to stretch some during the race

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Anyone have a good recommendation for a simple and cheap bar or wrist mounted timer that I can use for reminding me to eat/drink every 15 minutes or 45 minutes? I use a Wahoo Elemnt which does not seem to have that feature. I'm assuming an inexpensive digital watch could do this but maybe there is a better, still inexpensive option (besides buying a Garmin)?
    Download a timer app for your phone, and set it up with your preferred interval duration. The alarm will be sufficiently audible (many watches have a pretty puny alarm), or you can use an ear bud if you prefer. It's better if your phone is of the smaller variety. I have an iPhone 6 and carry it in my zippered cycling jersey pocket. I also use my phone for recording to Strava, so I'm carrying the phone anyway.

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWheels7 View Post
    Download a timer app for your phone, and set it up with your preferred interval duration. The alarm will be sufficiently audible (many watches have a pretty puny alarm), or you can use an ear bud if you prefer. It's better if your phone is of the smaller variety. I have an iPhone 6 and carry it in my zippered cycling jersey pocket. I also use my phone for recording to Strava, so I'm carrying the phone anyway.
    Good point about your phone being with you anyways...

However, my wristwatch is also with me at all times too. I've got an inexpensive Timex Ironman watch that I wear 100% of the time. I set it for 50 minutes (a specific number for my own needs). My methodology is to skip the first time it goes off, then begin consuming gels/food at the 2nd alarm (i.e. 1hr 40 min into my event)

THere's one listed in this group for $24
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QIJ7M3A...ding=UTF8&th=1

Later,
    CJB

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Let the 'taper' begin! I went hard on Saturday one last time.
    From now on I am going to cruise, maintain, recover.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I pre-rode the middle 2/3 of the course (base of Sugarloaf to the top of Columbine and back) yesterday and its in great shape! They've been getting some rain and it's not nearly as loose as it can sometimes get. Hopefully it will stay that way for the next couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the report. I hear there's a new trail section on upper Columbine... is it of any consequence?

livin' the dream......
    I wish I would have:

#1. Gotten a 9-46 cassette (was running 11 speed) or used a smaller chainring (30t instead of 32t)

#2. Worn a camelbak to get fluids/calories in going down Columbine

Everything else on my packing list turned out to be useful.
    100% agree with both of your points. I ran 32 x 11-42 and could have used a 30t or 11-46. I ended up walking parts I should have been riding on Columbine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Can anybody recommend a restaurant or two in Leadville? TIA!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This is LT 100 #3 for me. Last year I rode a new S-works Epic HT with an Eagle 1x32 into a 10-50 Cassette. I had plenty of gears to choose from on both the climbs and flats. To me it was the perfect LT100 bike and far more efficient than the FS bike I rode for my first.

Lots of good info on this thread. Be prepared and have fun. I recommend to newbies to watch the course videos posted on the website. They provide great intel. By the way if you stop the last video at the finish line the photographer finished I think in 10:33.

This is a great race with a cool vibe! Good luck everyone!!!!

Remember, “ I commit, I will not quit!”

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Can anybody recommend a restaurant or two in Leadville? TIA!
    I have a couple for you...

Treeline Kitchen is really good. Moderately priced, not cheap. They have a nice patio out front near/facing the street. Good for dinner.

High Mountain Pies is a good go-to for pizza or sandwiches. Good place for lunch, they have a cool backyard with tables and play area for kids. It gets pretty packed inside during busy times.

Tennessee Pass Cafe - I've been in the place, but honestly don't recall the food... seems nice, but obviously... it didn't leave an impression!

There are a couple of food trucks (trailers actually) at the corner of Harrison and West 4th... they will do in a bind, but it's nothing special.

We usually rent a house for Leadville, so we do most of our own cooking.
    Last edited by TTUB; 08-01-2018 at 06:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbne1 View Post
    Last year I rode a new S-works Epic HT with an Eagle 1x32 into a 10-50 Cassette. I had plenty of gears to choose from on both the climbs and flats. To me it was the perfect LT100 bike and far more efficient than the FS bike I rode for my first.
    makes me kind of bummed I'm riding it on a ~30lb 130mm FS trail bike ha. If had a proper race HT I don't think I'd ever ride it for anything other than leadville so no way I can justify that kind of pickup. Oh well, not out there to win it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the report. I hear there's a new trail section on upper Columbine... is it of any consequence?
    It actually didn't even occur to me that the trail was different, so I'd say very inconsequential!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c_t_smith View Post
    It actually didn't even occur to me that the trail was different, so I'd say very inconsequential!
    Upper Columbine? I wonder what that could even be? I did the stage race last weekend and it was exactly the same as last year's LT100. And up there.. there is only one road in/out.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone!

mtbr member
    Looks pretty dry this week. Hopefully some rain comes in to take care of the dust. Of course a dry race day is nice.

Can anyone out there update us on conditions?

See everyone Fri AM. Should be a great day out on the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I will be there tomorrow... just looking at the forecast, it appears typical, chances of afternoon thunderstorms lately. I would expect that they have been getting some showers, but don't know that first hand.
    Thursday has a good chance of an afternoon shower with Friday and Saturday predicted dry... sounds almost ideal. Of course a little cloud cover late in the race is always welcomed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Conditions today from Kevin's to Powerline were perfect. Not dusty but not wet. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by caad4rep View Post
    Conditions today from Kevin's to Powerline were perfect. Not dusty but not wet. Perfect.
    I have been in Breckenridge since last Thursday and it has rained some every day, mostly in the night time. The weather has been blowing in from the west so it's hitting Leadville before it gets here. Conditions should be pretty good on the LT100 course.

livin' the dream......
    Good luck to all of you racing tomorrow!

Good luck to all of you racing tomorrow!
    What he said! And then next year, come to Breck :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Best of luck everyone. Have an epic ride!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The Win Tunnel on MTB aero.
    https://youtu.be/M6rZBNY90Fo

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Howard Grotts and Larissa Connors, 2 in a row.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    How'd everyone do? I was happy enough to go 9:50 which was about what I expected for this first go round. Felt decent for most of the day and while I certainly suffered for parts (Columbine), it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Didn't pre-ride any of course before starting and while I suppose it would have helped to know some I don't think it cost me much. My biggest gripe was St. Kevins, no one was walking yet but it was just so damn packed and slow. It was a lot more a balancing act than mountain biking. Nothing would have helped me much there other than just getting an better corral. Perhaps that would have helped too for some of the descents which were pretty backed up.

A lot of people were talking about the heat. It was long day out there in the sun, but it's been so damn hot in Denver this summer I was pretty used to it I guess.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Congrats tgarson!
    I had a good ride. The slowest of my three visits to Leadville at 10:27, but I'm perfectly happy with my day.
    The race seemed a bit bigger this year... more people in town and more racers on course.
    St.K's was the usual full-house, but I don't mind that as it forces me to keep my powder dry for later in the day. Once I got my nutrition and hydration on a schedule... the body was happy all day. Full sun all afternoon made it feel warmer this year, but that tailwind coming back from Twin Lakes was awesome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It was warm and dusty this year, but with the best wind conditions I've ever experienced at Leadville. I ended up needing to do an individual time trial all the way from Twin Lakes inbound to Pipleline, and with no one to work with, I don't think I would have hit my time goal if there had been the normal headwind. But it all worked out, and I manged to go under 8 hours for the first time in 4 attempts.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Leadville experience. The LT100 is always tough...and it's always worth it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ...and I manged to go under 8 hours for the first time in 4 attempts.
    Sub 8! Wow. That's amazing.
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks! Breaking 8 hours has been a focus (obsession) for the last 3 years. Now that I've got that behind me, I'm really looking forward to not having that self-imposed pressure when I do the race again next year.

livin' the dream......
    Thanks! Breaking 8 hours has been a focus (obsession) for the last 3 years. Now that I've got that behind me, I'm really looking forward to not having that self-imposed pressure when I do the race again next year.
    That is awesome! Super fast, I can't even wrap my mind around that. Hope to get back next year as I got pulled at mile 60 Twin Lakes inbound last year due to time......ugh. Still bothers me. Need to finish this race. I am wrong/weird to obsess about this??

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I saw this on the LT100 FB page. Anyone here encounter this?

"The Lake County Sheriff’s Office is seeking information from athletes affected by tacks on course during the 2018 Leadville Trail 100 MTB. If you were affected, please contact the Lake County Sheriffs Dispatch at 719-486-1249 and refer to case # 180628 with information.

On behalf of the Leadville Race Series, and the town of Leadville, know we have so much appreciation for our Leadville family and apologize for any inconvenience this may have cause some athletes."
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yup, discovered 3 tacks in my tires after the race. Very thankful that stan's kept things sealed up during the race.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I was riding just behind a guy on the last rocky uphill at mile 100 when he stopped and bent over to pick something up. Said it was a tack and he saw more right there. Wonder if there were other areas on the course.

My race could have gone better. Saddle height was too low causing thigh cramps early that never really went away even after I raised it around powerline inbound. Lots of hiking, ended up with a 10 hr time. Would love to come back and get that sub 9 time!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had no issues with flats, but I did notice that there seemed to be more people along the course fixing flats this year. I couldn't figure that out at the time... now I see. Apparently there are some people in town who are not fans of the race. I get that it is a huge imposition on the town, but it's also a huge financial boost.
    I read a couple of articles to try and understand the opposition view... the stuff I read was mostly a bunch of curmudgeonly gibberish from the guy who owns the Golden Burro (one of the restaurants on the main street). So, in protest, he closes the Golden Burro for the week of Leadville... to that, I say: good for you. If you don't like it, don;'t participate. Then he rants about how people from the outside don't appreciate the history and character or Leadville... to which I say "Bullshit"... all the racers I know come to Leadville, learn about the history and culture of the town and love it.
    The Golden Burro looks like a shit-hole anyway, and has none of the character that the rest of the downtown exudes. I was happy to not eaten there!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Some amazing times! Hopefully will spur on my qualifying efforts for 2019.

Alex Grant, the 7th place finisher, hit the tacks as well. He lost his group after needing to use a CO2 and more or less had to solo after that. Pretty remarkable he still finished 7th.

Apparently the reroute at the top of Columbine is due to some sort of land dispute.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I had no issues with flats, but I did notice that there seemed to be more people along the course fixing flats this year. I couldn't figure that out at the time... now I see. Apparently there are some people in town who are not fans of the race. I get that it is a huge imposition on the town, but it's also a huge financial boost.
    I read a couple of articles to try and understand the opposition view... the stuff I read was mostly a bunch of curmudgeonly gibberish from the guy who owns the Golden Burro (one of the restaurants on the main street). So, in protest, he closes the Golden Burro for the week of Leadville... to that, I say: good for you. If you don't like it, don;'t participate. Then he rants about how people from the outside don't appreciate the history and character or Leadville... to which I say "Bullshit"... all the racers I know come to Leadville, learn about the history and culture of the town and love it.
    The Golden Burro looks like a shit-hole anyway, and has none of the character that the rest of the downtown exudes. I was happy to not eaten there!
    Golden Burro was open, I had brunch there Sunday. Nothing to write home about though I'd say 90% of the tables were occupied by Leadville participants that day.

Golden Burro was open, I had brunch there Sunday. Nothing to write home about though I'd say 90% of the tables were occupied by Leadville participants that day.
    When I'm in Leadville I tend to eat at the Mexican place across from the Theater (same block as the Silver Dollar bar); the lady who serves seems to have been in a bad mood for the last ten years but the Tacos Pastor are really good!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I walked by a couple of times that week and never saw it open.
    The article I read with the quotes from the GB owner was a little dated... I think it was from 2012 or something like that...

I ate at High Mountain Pies... always good.
    Another day we had dinner at Tennessee Pass Cafe, also good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast