Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    evilbanks

Leadville 100 2012

My name is in the lottery.....................so excited.

AZ
    banned
    Good luck to you. Going the qualifying route myself, we shall see.

mtbr member
    If you go the qualifying route does that earn you a better wave for the start at the LT100? How does one get a top,start wave so as to not be stuck in back of a huge pack of slower riders?

evilbanks
    qualifying? No idea. I just submitted my name in the random drawing (lottery), which is what I think everyone else whose name isn't Lance Armstrong, has to do as well. Good luck all.

mtbr member
    1st time qualifiers will be at the back same as first time lottery winners from what I understand. It's really not a big deal and is actually helpful so all the folks who think they will do 8 hours but realistically will be lucky to 12 hours won't get in the way of proven 8, 9, and 10 hour riders. I started at the back last year and I really don't think it cost me any time, 2-3 minutes max.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Unless you win a category in a qualifier racing it doesn't help your start position. You still start in the back with all the first timers. If you race the qualifier, qualify, and have done the race before, you start in the wave that corresponds with your previous Leadville time.

mtbr member
    I got an email after the CB qualifier last year that said I could start in one of the front groups because I finished in the top 25 at the qualifier. It didn't matter since I had already turned down my qualified spot, but it was a nice little bonus for those who went on to do the race.

mtbr member
    I got in in 2010 and 2011 but was unable to make race day in 2011 (DNS). If I get in in 2012, will I be able to start with the wave that corresponds to my 2010 time? Hope that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon View Post
    I got in in 2010 and 2011 but was unable to make race day in 2011 (DNS). If I get in in 2012, will I be able to start with the wave that corresponds to my 2010 time? Hope that makes sense.
    Yes, they will use your 2010 time to place you in the proper corral. Pretty sure they take the best of the previous 3 years times.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by b_banks View Post
    My name is in the lottery.....................so excited.
    So is mine. From what I've been reading it seems pretty tough to get in through the lottery. But we'll see.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    How did you guys find the results? I didn't think they are posted. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix View Post
    How did you guys find the results? I didn't think they are posted. Thanks
    I think people are notified by mid february. No results posted yet.

mtbr member
    Aaa... thought i missed something. I have been trying to get in for the past two years. I think i might do a qualifying race just to increase my chances.

mtbr member
    Lottery process seemed a bit different this year. They also had an option to check for pro riders, I wonder if that guarantees a better chance to get in for pros? Perhaps they're making it like a real race?!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Get your cyclocross bike ready!

Karma Vampire
    Damn, I forgot to include my failed 2010 lottery attempt in my charitable contributions when doing my taxes.

From their website:
    "The $15 lottery fees will be applied in full the following 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations; Leadville Legacy, IMBA and additional volunteer 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations."

I am glad to hear the $15 is going to some good causes.

No chance this "Fred" will get in via a qualifier. Good luck to those wanting to get in.

mtbr member
    Last year in CB, every single person at the awards ceremony was offered a spot in the race. It started with a lot of the qualified people declining their spot. Then it got a little rainy and people who figured they were out of it started to leave. By the end of the evening, there were more spaces available than there were people who wanted them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I raced last year and it was one of the most epic things I have ever done. I can't wait to do it again. I am hoping for good news in Feb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Leadville is:

Overrated, overhyped and just too expensive..But i guess people love to ride roads on there mtn bikes.. Go figure..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I wonder how many people put in for the lottery? 15 dollars a pop, it must add up.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Overrated, overhyped and just too expensive..But i guess people love to ride roads on there mtn bikes.. Go figure..

Wow, that is truely a helpful post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macmoo View Post
    I wonder how many people put in for the lottery? 15 dollars a pop, it must add up.
    I heard the numbers were in the thousands...@$15, for the chance to pay $275.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Have you done the race?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    LOL! obviously coming from someone who has never experience this race. Go race it and then make your comment. I will bet you tell everyone it was worth every penny and then some.

evilbanks
    Maybe so but I DNF'd the f*cker in 2009 and I need redemption.

evilbanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macmoo View Post
    I tweeted them asking what the odds of my name being drawn were. No reply. They're making a goddamn killing and don't want the general public to know. Ya, I know some of it goes to charity.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You know there are a lot of NUE 100 Mile races, and a few in that area. They are not 275.00 and they do not require a lottery. Just an FYI.

evilbanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke View Post
    You know there are a lot of NUE 100 Mile races, and a few in that area. They are not 275.00 and they do not require a lottery. Just an FYI.
    Whoa! I'm sure nobody on this board was aware of that. Thanks for the enlightenment........

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I tweeted them asking what the odds of my name being drawn were. No reply. They're making a goddamn killing and don't want the general public to know. Ya, I know some of it goes to charity.
    All of the application fee goes to charity. There were approx. 6000 applications last year so they raised $90,000 for charity. A big part of it goes to the Leadville legacy foundation which gives scholarships to the youth of Leadville. I think that is pretty impressive myself. They are in the business to make money hence the $275 entry fee. The fee is that high because frankly they can get it. This has always been a first rate and well organized event and way more people want to do it than they have room for. There were about 1600+ riders on the course last year and I can't see them fitting anymore. In the grand scheme of things I really don't think that their net profit on this race is all that great. I think that LTF counts on the whole Leadville series of races to make it all profitable. But keep in mind, it is a business. don't get bent out of shape because they are trying to make money. Just like the bike and accessories manufactures and any other business they are in it to make a profit.

evilbanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas O View Post
    All of the application fee goes to charity. There were approx. 6000 applications last year so they raised $90,000 for charity. A big part of it goes to the Leadville legacy foundation which gives scholarships to the youth of Leadville. I think that is pretty impressive myself. They are in the business to make money hence the $275 entry fee. The fee is that high because frankly they can get it. This has always been a first rate and well organized event and way more people want to do it than they have room for. There were about 1600+ riders on the course last year and I can't see them fitting anymore. In the grand scheme of things I really don't think that their net profit on this race is all that great. I think that LTF counts on the whole Leadville series of races to make it all profitable. But keep in mind, it is a business. don't get bent out of shape because they are trying to make money. Just like the bike and accessories manufactures and any other business they are in it to make a profit.
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not bent out of shape & I'm a firm believer in the free market. I just find it interesting that they won't let me know what my odds are of getting in. Is it because it would reveal the # of applicants? I was there in 09' and agree it is a well organized event.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke View Post
    And there is actually single track to ride on......

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Singletrack is overrated

;-)
    baker

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not bent out of shape & I'm a firm believer in the free market. I just find it interesting that they won't let me know what my odds are of getting in. Is it because it would reveal the # of applicants? I was there in 09' and agree it is a well organized event.
    I don't know if it is that they won't tell you but more so they can't tell you until they get all the applications in. Also, there are several variables that come into play in this lottery. I don't work for them and I am not going to pretend that I know exactly how it works but my guess is that maybe 2/3 of the spots available actually are allocated to the "lottery" some spots are given to pros, returning top 100 finishers, Carmichal gets some spots to sell with their training program, some spots are saved for qualifiers and Leadman entrants and I'm sure there are a few spots given away as favors. This has been done in every lottery type event for along time. It really isn't fair to everyone but its their race and I guess they can run it however they want. I am hoping that they bang on my bank account for $275 in mid Feb. It would make me very happy....That is until I am on the inbound powerline trail. I'm sure I will have a few choice words for myself at that time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    What about the 2 miles of epic singletrack known as the goat trail that were added to Leadville a few years back ? Actually it is a really fun singletrack section to ride...but not on raceday as there is always someone holding you back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't know if it is that they won't tell you but more so they can't tell you until they get all the applications in. Also, there are several variables that come into play in this lottery. I don't work for them and I am not going to pretend that I know exactly how it works but my guess is that maybe 2/3 of the spots available actually are allocated to the "lottery" some spots are given to pros, returning top 100 finishers, Carmichal gets some spots to sell with their training program, some spots are saved for qualifiers and Leadman entrants and I'm sure there are a few spots given away as favors. This has been done in every lottery type event for along time. It really isn't fair to everyone but its their race and I guess they can run it however they want. I am hoping that they bang on my bank account for $275 in mid Feb. It would make me very happy....That is until I am on the inbound powerline trail. I'm sure I will have a few choice words for myself at that time
    I think that is a pretty accurate assessment. I have tried to understand how the lotto works and after talking with people last year this is how I see the break down: I also could be dead wrong...

100 - Pro and multi-time finishers. The guys that have many, many belt buckles.
    30 - Leadman competitors.
    50 - VIP - people that did the CEO challenge last year
    350 - qualifiers - 115 spots in each of the 3 qualifiers last year
    300 - Carmichael students - there were 5 weekend camps with approx 60 people each
    Approx total - 850 people

They let in about 2000 last year with 1700 or so starting.
    The remaining 1150 spots isn"t exactly a true lottery either - from what it appears. From some top lifetime people, they want first timers in the race just as much as returning racers, which leads me to believe there are 2 different lottos.
    About 750 lottery spots will be for first timers.
    The remaining 400ish spots are likely a separate lottery from returning competitors - the people that have done one, two, three races. DNF's and finishers. Last year there seemed to be more first timers than returning racers.

Can't wait for pipeline inbound!

evilbanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spalding333 View Post
    I think that is a pretty accurate assessment. I have tried to understand how the lotto works and after talking with people last year this is how I see the break down: I also could be dead wrong...

300 - Carmichael students - there were 5 weekend camps with approx 60 people each

The remaining 1150 spots isn"t exactly a true lottery either - from what it appears. From some top lifetime people, they want first timers in the race just as much as returning racers, which leads me to believe there are 2 different lottos.
    The remaining 400ish spots are likely a separate lottery from returning competitors - the people that have done one, two, three races. DNF's and finishers. Last year there seemed to be more first timers than returning racers.

They have to have a projected number of applicants. I'd just like to know what the odds are of my name being drawn but they won't reply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My guess is there are close to 8,000 applicants. The yahoo leadville forum consensus says about a 1 in 8-10 chance. It took me 2 years to get picked. My friend who applied with me the first year got in his first try. I think they are pushing more first timers than years past. You should try posting it on their Facebook page. The race coordinators are pretty good about answering questions there.

mtbr member
    Don't think I'll waste any more lottery $ or effort on this event.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RSW42 View Post
    Don't think I'll waste any more lottery $ or effort on this event.

Though you did waste your time and effort posting your Leadville intentions here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    $15 big deal, it goes to a few good causes.
    Due to overwhelming demand, entrance to the Leadville Trail 100 MTB Race will be again be lottery-based. Cost is $15 to enter lottery, which will be open until January 31, 2012. Winners will be chosen and notified by Mid-February. Cost for the Leadville Trail 100 MTB will be $275. The $15 lottery fees will be applied in full the following 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations; Leadville Legacy, IMBA and additional volunteer 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spalding333 View Post

Volunteers from last year also get priority. If you really want in and don't make it this year, you might want to volunteer this year to help yourself for 2013.

Let's fly!
    I had a friend and teammate on the International Christian Cycling Club team who raced it 5 times and died in a tragic bike accident in 2009. He had 2 goals: a sub-9 and 1,000 miles of Leadville. I raced it in his honor in 2010 with the goal of sub-9. I trained hard, rode pretty smart, suffered incredible leg cramps inbound from somewhere before Pipeline to Powerline, suffered debilitating leg cramps on Powerline, and limped across the finish in 9:16.

I raced it again in 2011. I trained hard, rode really smart, avoided cramps (mostly), and finished in 8:35. The 2nd time was not nearly the sufferfest that the first one was.

I haven't entered the lottery yet. I crushed my goal in 2011, so I could be done. But there is something about it that keeps haunting me. It is pretty cool to have such a challenging race as the focal point for the season, the clear "A" race for the year. But training properly for it takes a huge committment and there are a lot of other races I've never done. Part of the appeal is that I don't want to squander the opportunity to start in the sub-9 corral. Starting in the sub-10 was pretty cool in 2011, being on the other side of Harrison for the start would be UBER cool!

I'm a very goal-oriented person. I achieved my sub-9 goal, it's unlikely that I could train hard enough to sub-8, and I can't imagine setting 1,000 miles of Leadville as the next goal, so I'm waffling on whether to sign up for the chance. I'm 51 years old and there are a lot of other races I would like to experience that would not be conducive to an optimal LT100 training plan.

For those who have done it 2 or 3 times and plan to do it again, what are your motivators? I'm just curious. I need to decide if I'm applying again and am interested in the persepective of others.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiRider View Post
    I had a friend and teammate on the International Christian Cycling Club team who raced it 5 times and died in a tragic bike accident in 2009. He had 2 goals: a sub-9 and 1,000 miles of Leadville. I raced it in his honor in 2010 with the goal of sub-9. I trained hard, rode pretty smart, suffered incredible leg cramps inbound from somewhere before Pipeline to Powerline, suffered debilitating leg cramps on Powerline, and limped across the finish in 9:16.

I raced it again in 2011. I trained hard, rode really smart, avoided cramps (mostly), and finished in 8:35. The 2nd time was not nearly the sufferfest that the first one was.

I haven't entered the lottery yet. I crushed my goal in 2011, so I could be done. But there is something about it that keeps haunting me. It is pretty cool to have such a challenging race as the focal point for the season, the clear "A" race for the year. But training properly for it takes a huge committment and there are a lot of other races I've never done. Part of the appeal is that I don't want to squander the opportunity to start in the sub-9 corral. Starting in the sub-10 was pretty cool in 2011, being on the other side of Harrison for the start would be UBER cool!

I'm a very goal-oriented person. I achieved my sub-9 goal, it's unlikely that I could train hard enough to sub-8, and I can't imagine setting 1,000 miles of Leadville as the next goal, so I'm waffling on whether to sign up for the chance. I'm 51 years old and there are a lot of other races I would like to experience that would not be conducive to an optimal LT100 training plan.

For those who have done it 2 or 3 times and plan to do it again, what are your motivators? I'm just curious. I need to decide if I'm applying again and am interested in the persepective of others.
    I'm in the same boat as you . I have done it the past two years and trying to decide if I want to do it again or try something new. To me the biggest commitment is getting up there and acclimating for the week before. If I don't sign up to race, I will probably go out and help for the weekend as I would still like to be part of the experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There is a qualifiying race at my home trail. I considered doing it but this type of race doesn't fit my strengths since it's not all single track. At the qual race you have to pay right away to get a spot if you qualify.

Let's fly!
    I got up at 6am on Friday, drove up for medical check-in, spent Friday night, raced the LT100 on Saturday and felt good. I am an "anti-acclimator" -- I try to avoid being at altitude until the last minute. It works very well for me in Winter Park, Breckenridge, Leadville, etc.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Haters gonna hate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    You have 2 option in Acclimating to high altitude if you're coming from flatland. First option is to go there 1-2 days before the race. The rationale of this option is it takes 2-3 days before altitude starts to affect your fitness level. This one is risky but it works. When i arrived in Leadville last year to do my Pre ride, my first 2 days were perfect and it start to deteriorate on 3rd day that lead to HAPE on 5th day . 2nd option is to go there 3 wks before the race. First to 2nd week, follow the training notion of train high, rest low. Do pre ride in Leadville every morning and then rest/recover to a lower altitude(below 6000ft) after the ride like Denver. It takes 45-60min drive from Denver to Leadville. If you dont develop Altitude sickness after a week, you can try to move to Leadville or town close to Leadville like Copper Mtn or Frisco to rest and recover . But from my experience, staying below 6000ft after pre riding in Leadville is still the best option to prepare leading to the race. I dont think you'll be able to recover from pre rides while staying on 9000ft to recover and rest especially if youre from the Flatlands. The effect of altitude on every athletes varies. Once you hit the altitude, you need to be prepared to be unprepared in facing the effect of altitude. Its a great Race , goodluck!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcadelina View Post
    You have 2 option in Acclimating to high altitude if you're coming from flatland. First option is to go there 1-2 days before the race. The rationale of this option is it takes 2-3 days before altitude starts to affect your fitness level. This one is risky but it works. When i arrived in Leadville last year to do my Pre ride, my first 2 days were perfect and it start to deteriorate on 3rd day that lead to HAPE on 5th day . 2nd option is to go there 3 wks before the race. First to 2nd week, follow the training notion of train high, rest low. Do pre ride in Leadville every morning and then rest/recover to a lower altitude(below 6000ft) after the ride like Denver. It takes 45-60min drive from Denver to Leadville. If you dont develop Altitude sickness after a week, you can try to move to Leadville or town close to Leadville like Copper Mtn or Frisco to rest and recover . But from my experience, staying below 6000ft after pre riding in Leadville is still the best option to prepare leading to the race. I dont think you'll be able to recover from pre rides while staying on 9000ft to recover and rest especially if youre from the Flatlands. The effect of altitude on every athletes varies. Once you hit the altitude, you need to be prepared to be unprepared in facing the effect of altitude. Its a great Race , goodluck!!
    Either way could work, but you are at higher risk for altitude sickness in the first few days. Half (actually all) the fun for me is spending time in Leadville and meeting other racers. The race itself honestly isn't that much fun, more just painful.

Last year we had a house full of MTBRers for a week and had a blast. Check out the race reports:

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...le-732071.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    Either way could work, but you are at higher risk for altitude sickness in the first few days. Half (actually all) the fun for me is spending time in Leadville and meeting other racers. The race itself honestly isn't that much fun, more just painful.

Last year we had a house full of MTBRers for a week and had a blast. Check out the race reports:

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...le-732071.html
    I agree, those pre rides that start at Cycle of life, all mt bikers that i met from different parts of US and all the events around Leadville made my LT 100 fun. Its a great Race with a lot of Great people in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcadelina View Post
    I agree, those pre rides that start at Cycle of life, all mt bikers that i met from different parts of US and all the events around Leadville made my LT 100 fun. Its a great Race with a lot of Great people in it.
    Same here. All about the experience and all the great people involved. I was lucky enough to spend last summer in Vail and join in on lots of the Herbalife rides and the ones from Cycle of Life. Met some awesome people and gained invaluable experience about the race. As stated above, the race itself isn't what keeps people coming back, but the experience and the camaraderie do.

Mountain Bike Racer
    Jul 2009

Lottery?

Does anyone know when they will let us know if we were picked in the lottery?

Richard La China
    (lachina)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mid Feb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I thought they drew the names Jan 31? We have to wait until Mid Feb?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by raceboy View Post
    I thought they drew the names Jan 31? We have to wait until Mid Feb?
    Yep, just like it says on the registration page.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You're be notified by Feb 15 if you are in!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Fingers crossed.....again.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hoping to increase my odds by doing the lottery and a qualifying race. I'm very encouraged the lottery favors first timers, and hope by doing a qualifying race, I could improve my odds. No illusion about winning or placing in an age group for an MTB newb like me. But there is also a second lottery in each race. Part of me wishes to be picked, the other part is terrified with the prospect.

As for entry fee debate. $15 is not a lot of money to spark a wonderful dream and a focus point to get off the couch during the off season. We all waste a lot more money on far less gratifying things. Plus the money goes to a great cause. So its all good.

3 weeks to go until Feb 15. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This first timer has been trying to get in for 3 years now!

mtbr member
    I'm 2 for 2 on the lottery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderX View Post
    Though you did waste your time and effort posting your Leadville intentions here.

i was already logged on.

Mountain Bike Racer
    Jul 2009

Qualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by mks75 View Post
    I think people are notified by mid february. No results posted yet.
    Has anyone ridden any of the qualifiers? I am curious how they compare to the LV100.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I rode the Tahoe Trail 100k last year and finished 5th in the 20-29 age group, with a time of just over 5 hours. I did this on a single-speed 29er, the same bike that I then put gears on and raced the Leadville 100 on. So, with that said, the Tahoe Trail 100k was much easier than the actual Leadville 100 race. A lot of this has to do with elevation, the elevation gain, and of course the obvious, distance... I think it worked out to 66 miles, 7k feet of elevation gain, and high point of 8,000-ish for the Tahoe Trail 100k. As opposed to 104 miles, 12k feet of elevation gain, with the high point of 12,500 feet. I finished the Leadville 100 in 10h02m... I'm confident I could have saved a ton of time had I not started at the back of the 1,800 person pack. It took me over 4 minutes from the gun going off, to crossing the starting line...
    I'm glad theres a thread of people interested in racing it this year! I have a hard time seeing all the "flaming" that the Leadville 100 gets, largely by people who have never ridden it! The whole "road race on a mountain bike", "roadie parade on dirt" kind of argument. It's by no means a cakewalk race. It's tough! Far from the toughest race out there, and not the most technical course. But, it's an awesome experience. I will race Leadville again, not this year, as I'm doing the CTR, but I will be back. The atmosphere and scenery make the race. There was truly nothing like having a couple thousand people cheering for you at every pit, and at the finish line!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm hoping to get in this year as well... 2nd time in the lottery. Just brought a HT for these sorts of races so hopefully that helps my odds of getting in!

Doing Silver Rush 50 again this year as well as a warm up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoRacing View Post
    I rode the Tahoe Trail 100k last year and finished 5th in the 20-29 age group, with a time of just over 5 hours. I did this on a single-speed 29er, the same bike that I then put gears on and raced the Leadville 100 on. So, with that said, the Tahoe Trail 100k was much easier than the actual Leadville 100 race. A lot of this has to do with elevation, the elevation gain, and of course the obvious, distance... I think it worked out to 66 miles, 7k feet of elevation gain, and high point of 8,000-ish for the Tahoe Trail 100k. As opposed to 104 miles, 12k feet of elevation gain, with the high point of 12,500 feet. I finished the Leadville 100 in 10h02m... I'm confident I could have saved a ton of time had I not started at the back of the 1,800 person pack. It took me over 4 minutes from the gun going off, to crossing the starting line...
    I'm glad theres a thread of people interested in racing it this year! I have a hard time seeing all the "flaming" that the Leadville 100 gets, largely by people who have never ridden it! The whole "road race on a mountain bike", "roadie parade on dirt" kind of argument. It's by no means a cakewalk race. It's tough! Far from the toughest race out there, and not the most technical course. But, it's an awesome experience. I will race Leadville again, not this year, as I'm doing the CTR, but I will be back. The atmosphere and scenery make the race. There was truly nothing like having a couple thousand people cheering for you at every pit, and at the finish line!
    Were you in the bathroom when the gun went off? LOL! I was also at the very back of the pack and my timer said 2:20 to cross the start line. I thought we lost a little time with the bottle necks in the begining of the race when we first left the pavement but in all reality I think that we lost maybe 10 min from being in the last corral. I DNF'd last year. That is why my desire to get back in is so high. I don't take defeat very well. One thing that I will do differently next time is pass as many people as I can on the pavement where passing is easy and down hill. Also, I am going to be accutly aware of my own abilities and not get into a pace that someone else is setting. My son and I did this together last year and he flatted and crashed pretty hard early in the race. That cost us a bunch of time that we just couldn't make up. No regrets for me though, this was an epic adventure that my son and I got to share and will remember for the rest of our lives.
    Lifetime Fitness puts on a training camp in July and I highly recommend it to anyone doing this race. The cost is very reasonable for what you get and it was alot of fun and I learned alot about how to do this race. I WANT THAT DAMN BUCKLE!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    hahaha.... I was literally at the very back of the herd, as my "pit crew" forgot my bib number at the hotel room and had to make a rush back to get it. As you mentioned, I definitely regret not passing a bunch of people on the pavement stretch to start off with. Even a hundred people would amount to a couple minutes(and a sub 10 hour finish for me), as the first climb up St. Kevins was literally a pack train of people walking up it. There was no way around them, so I too was forced to walk. My worry of passing in the start was being the idiot that blows his wad on the first 5 miles of the 100 mile race... I recall seeing people hauling ass right outta' the gate and thinking how little sense that made, but now I completely understand it!

Team Velveeta™

crazy start

hahaha.... I was literally at the very back of the herd, as my "pit crew" forgot my bib number at the hotel room and had to make a rush back to get it. As you mentioned, I definitely regret not passing a bunch of people on the pavement stretch to start off with. Even a hundred people would amount to a couple minutes(and a sub 10 hour finish for me), as the first climb up St. Kevins was literally a pack train of people walking up it. There was no way around them, so I too was forced to walk. My worry of passing in the start was being the idiot that blows his wad on the first 5 miles of the 100 mile race... I recall seeing people hauling ass right outta' the gate and thinking how little sense that made, but now I completely understand it!
    The way that thing starts downhill on pavement with a huge tight pack always freaked me out. Last time I did it was '07 and there were lots fewer bodies then. But there was only informal organization about who should be at the front and back of the pack. Dangerous chaos. I saw lots of near tragedies in the three times I did it. And it was hard getting caught in the St Kevins mess.

I think it would be a better idea to start people in waves. It's all electronic timing anyway, they could totally compute your splits and finish time relative to when your wave starts.

St Kevins and the Powerline descent are the only places where you can get stuck behind people, not like a race with lots of singletrack where position totally matters. Starting in 5 minute waves would make St Kevins and Powerline a whole lot less congested. You could be competing for the hole shot with people who are likely to actually have a similar time to yours if you left in a wave with people at roughly your level. I think it's more like a TT effort than it is an XC style race where position really matters. And position would matter even less if there weren't such a huge plug of riders piling into the first climb all at the same time.

My advice to those who do it for the first time--ride that first 10 minutes with your senses completely focused on what's going on around you. If you are going to try to gain position, don't take any crazy chances with a close pass, you could wind up with 75 of your fellow racers in a tangle on top of you if you go down.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    All of the application fee goes to charity. There were approx. 6000 applications last year so they raised $90,000 for charity. A big part of it goes to the Leadville legacy foundation which gives scholarships to the youth of Leadville.
    Last year a pretty good chunk of that went to IMBA. They presented a check at the racers meeting. I don't remember how much it was, but somewhere in the 5 digit range

SS Chimp
    As you mentioned, I definitely regret not passing a bunch of people on the pavement stretch to start off with. Even a hundred people would amount to a couple minutes(and a sub 10 hour finish for me), as the first climb up St. Kevins was literally a pack train of people walking up it. There was no way around them, so I too was forced to walk. My worry of passing in the start was being the idiot that blows his wad on the first 5 miles of the 100 mile race... I recall seeing people hauling ass right outta' the gate and thinking how little sense that made, but now I completely understand it!
    Not to discourage you from moving up but be very aware of how that plays out. I have 10 start/finishes and 9 of them on a single speed so I am acutely aware getting passed on the run out of town. I am also aware of the people riding way out of control in an attempt to move up. Columbine will most likely do more time damage than time lost early in the race.

Play it cool, enjoy and ride within your ability is all I am saying.
    all single...all the time

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Are you racing in PBville this year Dan?

SS Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrouSS View Post
    Are you racing in PBville this year Dan?
    Nope. Back to the Breck Epic this year. Kara is doing PB as work conflicts with the Epic. I will be up running support for her and Larry DeWitt. I am sure I will do PB again sometime but 10 in a row is good for now.
    all single...all the time

mtbr member

Leadville 100 2012

Aaa…. the humanity.. just post the lottery result already. Need to be put out of my misery or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix View Post
    Aaa…. the humanity.. just post the lottery result already. Need to be put out of my misery or not.
    Can't you at least wait until they HAVE the lottery?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hey..the site says lottery winners will be notified in mid Feb. Anybody hear from them today? Just curious

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I was told you would know by Feb 15 by the office.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingy2k View Post
    Hey..the site says lottery winners will be notified in mid Feb. Anybody hear from them today? Just curious
    You're not too bright are you...

mtbr member
    The past few years the have sent out notifications on the "by" date, so expect to hear either a yes or a no on the 15th.

Good luck to everyone that entered the lottery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I rode it last year and it was worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33 View Post
    What about the 2 miles of epic singletrack known as the goat trail that were added to Leadville a few years back ? Actually it is a really fun singletrack section to ride...but not on raceday as there is always someone holding you back.
    If I recall it is about 30+ miles in so they've been kicking you ass for a long time They've also descended Powerline faster than you most likely so if you don't want to be held up just start quicker! If they do hold you up - well they earned it and you've got 70 miles left to overtake them.

No one held me up there, and judging by the photos (they had a camera guy there) I wasn't holding the riders behind me up.

If I hold you up this year just shout!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

The Other Way In

So you can always bypass the lottery if you can run long distance. I entered Leadman again this year as I have some unfinished business with the 100 run and you go through to the 100 MTB if you make your cut offs in the previous races: Leadville Marathon and Silver Rush 50 MTB or run. The marathon is really really harsh though and tops at > 13,000' which makes Columbine Mine seem oxygen rich. Silver Rush is tough too but realistic, lots of climbs/descents and I think a few riders crashed out badly on the rocketing 8 mile descent at the end.

It helps a lot if you are in Colorado as there are 5 races over 4 week-ends in a 6-7 week period and the last week includes the 100MTB, a 10k run the next day, and then the 100 run.

Its not cheap but completing Leadman would be a major achievement. The other nice bit is you start the 100 MTB very near the front, just a few bike lengths behind the front row.

Oh and you end up with a ton of T-shirts and race bags.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
    I hear there is great singletrack at this event! I must be just different from everyone else when it comes to what I like about endurance racing and TRAILS. Come to Arkansas and Race the Syllamo 125k and experience some pure singletrack and very technical riding.
    Don't be a hater, Chris...

Syllamo is different than Leadville, and just 'cause it's what you prefer doesn't mean Leadville isn't a good event. I mean, it's not like Syllamo has 10,000+ people competing for 1000 slots or anything...

evilbanks
    7 more days..................

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Rode a couple of 100K mtb races last year and one of them was a qualifier for Leadville. It was held in Lake Tahoe. The qualifier was a tough race. The second lap was tough.

Leadville was hot and dry last year. It was much different than expected. Furnace Creek 508 was more fun for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Lottery results supposed to be mid-day today...hoping to get in but might breathe a sigh of relief if I don't.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How does it work? Do they send out emails? Do they post the results on the website? Or are invitations snail mailed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ123 View Post
    How does it work? Do they send out emails? Do they post the results on the website? Or are invitations snail mailed?
    You should get an email at some point today telling you you got in. They normally send out rejection emails too so you know one or the other. Not sure if they will do that again this year or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    In past they have sent emails. First to those that made it in, then later in the evening to those that didn't make the cut.

It ain't easy being Green
    Check your credit card account, they charge the card before sending the email.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strahey View Post
    In past they have sent emails. First to those that made it in, then later in the evening to those that didn't make the cut.
    Last year I didn't get my acceptance notice until the 28th.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just got the email saying that I didn't get in again. Everyone should be getting their notifications soon.

It ain't easy being Green
    Just got mine:

"We regret to inform you that we are unable to accept your application for the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 MTB race..."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Same here

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I didn't get in either. Looks like I'll have to go the qualifier route.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just got mine. same here. I didn't make the cut... Oh Well, I have the Silver Rush 50 to look forward to.

mtbr member
    I just got a rejection email...thought I might have a chance this year because they had a box you could check if you raced pro. No dice. Good luck to others!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Denied!

mtbr member

Nope

No go. I guess I shouldn't complain. I got in 9 out of 9 times previously.

Maybe I'll do the Creampuff or Tahoe 100.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leadville 100 2012-a36_trail-100-bike-05-044-b.jpg  

Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I got my acceptance "Congratulations! Your entry into the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race is confirmed."
    Maybe it is my 1st timer luck. 25 weeks to go!

mtbr member
    I'm in! I think I peed my pants a little.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got my rejection notice as well. Signed up for the Austin Rattler.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Denied... Again... Goodbye PBville. Not gonna bother again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast