mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Landis to Race Shenandoah 100

It looks like Leadville was a big confidence boost for FL. I pulled the article from Cylingnews.

Landis to Shenandoah Mountain

Floyd Landis will be racing at the Shenandoah Mountain 100, the finale in the National Ultra Endurance (NUE) Series to be held on Labor Day weekend near Harrisonburg, Virginia, in the George Washington National Forest.

"I am honored to be invited to be part of the Shenandoah Mountain 100 event. I look forward to racing on the challenging course they have put together since it includes the kind technical trail riding that first got me hooked on mountain bike racing," said 2006 Tour de France Champion Landis, who started his career growing up and racing his mountain bike throughout the mid-Atlantic.

While waiting to learn the outcome of his May anti-doping arbitration hearing that followed a positive doping test for testosterone in Stage 17 of the 2006 Tour de France, Landis has kept himself busy by returning to his roots and racing his mountain bike. Just a few weeks ago, he finished second at the Leadville 100, and earlier this summer, he took part in the Teva Games in Colorado.

Landis accepted an invitation to race the Shenandoah Mountain 100 offered to him by Mid Atlantic Off Road Enthusiast (MORE) member Scott Scudamore, who served as MC at a Floyd Fairness Fund event held in Northern Virginia in January. At the time, he deferred committing and joked instead, "I'd like to come, but I don't have to race if it's raining, right?"

"I'm pretty stoked that Floyd Landis has decided to return to his mountain biking roots and show up for the SM100. I've been dogging him for close to a year," said Promoter Chris Scott.

"If he's really on his game, he could beat the course record set by Jeremiah Bishop last year of 7 hours, 15 minutes," said Scott.

large member
    It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Nice to see another big name joining the frey.

I will only be impressed, however, if he shows up with a Single Speed rig.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottytheoneandonly

I will only be impressed, however, if he shows up with a Single Speed rig.
    He fears me too much to do that. He remembers how strong I was looking back when I was racing beginner at Seven Springs, PA back in the early nineties. I could see it in his eyes even then......
    FEAR.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

CC
    Oct 2004
    That really cool.

Out of curiosity.......anyone know what kind of bike he is on....?

If he really focused on MTB he would turn that course record into dust.

mtbr member
    He is riding a BMC Mtn bike. I can't tell from pictures which one it is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Dirt Whore
    **** Yeah! I hope this brings more exposure to the sport, and I hope Harlen Chris and Jeremiah work floyd over! I think its great that these guys get to take a shot at the top roadie out there on the dirt on one of the best courses!......You think Floyd will do a keg stand??????

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You think he will bring his pharmaceuticals?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro K
    **** Yeah! I hope this brings more exposure to the sport, and I hope Harlen Chris and Jeremiah work floyd over! I think its great that these guys get to take a shot at the top roadie out there on the dirt on one of the best courses!......You think Floyd will do a keg stand??????
    I doubt those little roadie arms could handle it.

Team Awesome
    If Monique Sawicki showed up I bet he'd get "chicked." Not that it's that big of a deal, I've been "Chicked" "Tandemed" and "Fixed," but I'm not a quasi-tour de france champion.

On another note, how many "DOPERS SUCK" jersey's will be in attendance?

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk
    If Monique Sawicki showed up I bet he'd get "chicked."
    tee hee hee

Not that I'm a Landis fan-boy or anything, but do you understand the significance of a 7 hour Leadville result? The first time?

baker

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    tee hee hee

Not that I'm a Landis fan-boy or anything, but do you understand the significance of a 7 hour Leadville result? The first time?

baker
    not really. isn't leadville mostly (100%) fire roads and double track?

the reason I ask is that while I'm sure Floyd is still one of the fastest climbers in the world his technical skills were lacking earlier in the year. He might not get smoked by a girl, but I don't see him beating any of the top enduro guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Would a "DOPERS SUCK" jersey be considered Landis critical, supportive, or neutral? As a man wrongly accused I would think he should welcome the statement.

Where can I get one on short notice? I'd think somebody would set up a road side stand on the way to Stokesville.. t-shirts, hats, socks..

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Nothing too technical on that course. Some of those rock gardens on Narrowback, the start of some of the descents are a little loose this year. If he does fall apart in those sections, there is enough fireroad and non technical climbing that he can make time up on. Should be a good race. I heard Bishop won't be there. Chris Eatough and Harlan Price will. Is Tinker coming?
    Last edited by kev0153; 08-27-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    I heard Bishop won't be there. .
    I'm guessing here, but won't he be busy representing the U.S. in Scotland in a coupla weekends??
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member

No good

Would be very interesting if he'd voluntarily done a Piss test and maybe showed up at the presentation like a real man to accept his 2nd place prize
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    tee hee hee

baker
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

CC
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Would be very interesting if he'd voluntarily done a Piss test and maybe showed up at the presentation like a real man to accept his 2nd place prize
    Or maybe he can get on the internet and take cheap shots. Like other other real men.

Candlestick Maker

the reason I ask is that while I'm sure Floyd is still one of the fastest climbers in the world his technical skills were lacking earlier in the year. He might not get smoked by a girl, but I don't see him beating any of the top enduro guys.
    Although I'd say the race is mostly non-technical, it isn't exactly a cakewalk. His second place time this year would have won the event every other year it has been run.

It will be interesting to see the results...

baker

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Talking to Wiens (a hall of fame mt. bike racer) and other racers after the Leadville 100 I learned that Landis was scary fast on the descents. Wiens said something to the effect of: I was thinking, I'm not going to win this race trying to keep up with Floyd on the downhills, but I sure might loose it. Wiens also said it appeared Landis was running tubes with high pressure in his tires. Imagine how fast he could descend with tubeless at low pressure.

I was also told that while descending the columbine Floyd was going so fast it appeared he wasn't going to be able to make the upcoming corner. As the corner approached, he locked-up his rear brake and went in to a drift. While easily sliding around the corner he was simultaneously looking back up the hill to get a fix on Wiens.

I'd say Floyd's technical ability is better than most the top enduro guys.

EGGROLL!!!
    I've heard the same thing, that Floyd was actually a VERY good technical rider back in his MTB days. I'm pulling for Eatough and Harlan.
    http://www.mullenortho.com Braces and Invisalign in Leesburg VA

Rusting Steel
    riding up Columbine as Landis and Wiens were both flying down it, seeing Floyd absolutely flying through the switchback I was climbing, cheering us all on and looking around while cruising at some serious speed and having Wiens about 4-5 bike lengths behind totally focused on the descent to keep up, I'd have to say Landis has some skills.

Wiens isn't a slouch either. Two years ago I got passed by Wiens, only much further up the mountain (think he turned a 7:08 or :7:11 that year), he was bombing down stretching and cheering us all on, much like Floyd was this year. It was pretty clear this year he was having to push it on the descents to hold onto Floyd despite beating Floyd up the climbs.

Very very impressive to get to watch them both battle it out on the descent. They were both hauling some serious butt.

Insanity later
    Clearly Floyd has no technical skills whatsoever
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yup, just take post shots at the poor American cyclist that the whole world is out to get no riders from any other nation have been kicked/banned for doping poor Americans, we know that France hates you and everyone else is out to get you

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Climb
    Or maybe he can get on the internet and take cheap shots. Like other other real men.

mtbr member
    Don't think anyone's denying he has skills, just lacks moral fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now
    Clearly Floyd has no technical skills whatsoever

Insanity later
    Don't think anyone's denying he has skills, just lacks moral fibre
    Read post 13 from playpunk, and stop rolling your eyes, you're making me dizzy.

CC
    Oct 2004
    Yup, just take post shots at the poor American cyclist that the whole world is out to get no riders from any other nation have been kicked/banned for doping poor Americans, we know that France hates you and everyone else is out to get you
    Your head couldn't be farther off Lynx.

Bashing a guy for not appearing at Leadville awards was weaksauce.
    That's quite a judgement not calling him a 'real man' for not Hanging around for post race cermony......those things are usually a waste of time......

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eggraid101
    I've heard the same thing, that Floyd was actually a VERY good technical rider back in his MTB days. I'm pulling for Eatough and Harlan.
    Yeah, he learned his craft in the rocks of Pa, WVa and WMd. Pretty much the most technical places to ride in ALL the land.

SM100 will be easy for him to manage technically, it sounds like his challenge will be controlling his speed on the descents where there is not the same margin for error as in PBville.

Should be interesting.

Wannabe Endurance Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro K
    But for a crash and a flat, Floyd may have beaten Dave Wiens in Leadville. Floyd looked very strong when I saw him training the week before Leadville and on race day when he and Wiens passed me coming down Columbine at breakneck speeds, only inches apart.

If Floyd can bring it that hard at 10k-12k feet of altitude with 12k feet of climbing, you boys are in for an ass whooping from Floyd this weekend. Roadie? He started out as a mountain biker and still has the skills. Now, however, he also has the fitness of a roadie.
    "The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi

large member
    Who said anything about everyone being out to get him because he is an American? Neither your post, nor can't climbs remarked on the subject. Can't simply called you out for taking a cheap shot at someone who is 1,000 times the athelete most of us will ever be, including you. I thought your post was poor form myself as well, just didn't bother commenting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Phknlwyr
    But for a crash and a flat, Floyd may have beaten Dave Wiens in Leadville. Floyd looked very strong when I saw him training the week before Leadville and on race day when he and Wiens passed me coming down Columbine at breakneck speeds, only inches apart.

If Floyd can bring it that hard at 10k-12k feet of altitude with 12k feet of climbing, you boys are in for an ass whooping from Floyd this weekend. Roadie? He started out as a mountain biker and still has the skills. Now, however, he also has the fitness of a roadie.
    I agree with statement A, Floyd looked to have Wiens on the ropes at 60 mi. He came real close to winning despite his misfortunes.

I have done both races and SM100 is definitely harder despite the altitude at PBville. More climbing, alot of singletrack and rocky descents.

Floyd has to ride clean to win, and thus far he has not. Lucky for everyone Bishop won't be there. However, Eatough will and I doubt anyone is whipping his ass. Harlen isn't terrible either. Not to mention Tinker if he shows. Don't sleep on the local talent either. In my opinion it is wide open.

See you clowns sunday!

large member
    just lacks moral fibre
    Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. No one knows for sure other than Landis. The testing was questionable at best, and very dissapointing that it wasn't handled properly so that WE ALL can know the truth.

PS- the rolling eyes are getting stale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is the course pretty dry? How much mud is out there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonster
    Is the course pretty dry? How much mud is out there?
    it's not too bad:

bring the 1.5's

853+29+1x24=Fun
    ha, well I was down there 2 weeks ago and it was extermely dry. In fact it would do the course good if it did get a bit of rain. All the stream crossings are bone dry. The fireroads are dust storms.

large member
    Everything is soaked at the moment. I was out this A.M. and the roots and rocks are still glistening wet. That can all change by Sunday for large portions of the course, although I can guarantee a few sections to remain pretty damp and a bit slick. I went down pretty hard on some wet logs up on dowell's last week which hadn't seen rain in 5 days. Needless to say I was extremely cautious today to avoid more bumps and bruises before sunday.

Luckily the mud is never really a huge factor, as the trails drain extremely well. You are actually more likely just to run into some muddy puddles on some of the fire roads than anything else. Still, a tiny applicator bottle of lube may not be a bad idea if you are worried about lube issues between the aid stations.

mtbr member
    Landis crashed and flatted but Wiens also damaged his rear rim most likely on the way down Columbine. He had a slow leak and stopped soon after Landis stopped with his flat. Wiens decided to just add air instead of trying to fix it. Even with a low tire, Wiens did manage to open the gap back up on Wiens in the last 20 miles. His rear tire was definately low when he crossed the finish line. On my blog, I have a lot more pictures of Wiens and Landis at Leadville.

Last edited by ultrarob; 09-01-2007 at 02:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone heard the results? Just curious?

mtbr member
    My brother did the race. Just called me and told me that unofficially the winner finished around 7hrs & change. He on the other hand, and very much in shape, finished at 12hrs & change. He said it was BRUTAL.

He also said that Landis & 2 other riders passed he and a friend on one of the many climbs like they were standing still. He called it "humbling". Said Landis & the two riding with him were big ringing the climb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, the race is BRUTAL. I did it several years ago and was very happy finishing in 11 hours. I consider it more difficult than the Leadville race because of the amount of singletrack. It is a really, fun, difficult race. Congrats to your brother.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGthree
    My brother did the race. Just called me and told me that unofficially the winner finished around 7hrs & change. He on the other hand, and very much in shape, finished at 12hrs & change. He said it was BRUTAL.

He also said that Landis & 2 other riders passed he and a friend on one of the many climbs like they were standing still. He called it "humbling". Said Landis & the two riding with him were big ringing the climb.
    And just how did your brother manage to get out ahead of Landis in the first place? Must have been on that first gravel road section near the start. If I had been there the only time I would have been ahead of Landis would have been at the keg the night before.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Landis 3rd, Eatough DNF

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCanipe
    Has anyone heard the results? Just curious?

from cyclingnews.com:

"Locals" Schalk, Haywood win Virginia finale

Eatough & Lowrey collect series titles

By Sue George in Harrisonburg, Virginia

Beautiful weather, perfect course conditions, and a talented field at the Shenandoah Mountain 100 in Virginia set the stage for course records to be broken in both the men's and the women's races. Jeff Schalk (Trek / VW) surprised many at the race with a solo win in 7:06:13, but Sue Haywood (Trek / VW) seemed to surprise no one but herself with a stellar ride that broke her old course record by a whopping 27 minutes. Haywood finished in 8:12:36.

"Where's Chris? Where's Floyd?" were the two most commonly asked questions as part-time Harrisonburg resident Schalk rolled through aid stations three, four, five and six solo, with no chasers in site. Schalk, won the BC Bike racer earlier this summer with his partner and Trek / VW team-mate Chris Eatough, but Schalk took this win on his own after Eatough suffered a catastrophic mechanical when his rear axle failed early in the race, on only the second climb. Eatough then withdrew from the race, but kept the series title he'd secured after the Endurance 100 last weekend.

In fact, Landis (Smith & Nephew) was never far behind the Schalk until the end, and at times, he rode with him and challenger Harlan Price (Independent Fabrication). Schalk gapped Landis and Price thanks to a speedy transition through aid station two, and he remained solo off the front for the remaining 70 miles of the race.

"I wanted to pull a Landis on Landis," smiled Schalk, referring to Landis' legendary solo, lengthy, and ultimately race-winning break-away in Stage 17 of the 2006 Tour de France.

Landis and Price see-sawed the rest of the race, with Price leaving behind Landis on all the mostly-singletrack downhills and Landis catching and passing Price on lengthy flats or climbs. In the end, Price would leave Landis behind on the final singletrack descent and take second in the race and the series with a little over a minute's gap.

Chris Beck (Joe's Bicycle Shop) finished fourth for the second consecutive year with Gerry Pflug (Freddie FU/Kona/Speedgoat Bikes) behind him in fifth.

On the other hand, local favorite and full-time Harrisonburg resident Haywood assumed the lead in the women's race almost from the start, and she never looked back on her way to winning. Carolyn Popovic (Trek / VW) took second, but the real battle was behind them for the series title.

Carrie Lowrey (Outdoor Store) placed third, but by finishing two spots ahead of Daniele Musto (Slingshot), she assumed the final lead in the series, jumping ahead of Musto, who was technically tied. Lowrey's win in the Shenandoah was the tiebreaker. Tanya Nestvogel (Prestige Subaru / Titus) finished fourth.

Full report and photos coming!

Results

Men
    1 Jeff Schalk (Trek / VW) 7.06.13*
    2 Harlan Price (Independent Fabrication) 17.22
    3 Floyd Landis (Smith & Nephew) 18.42
    4 Chris Beck (Joe's Bicycle Shop) 37.06
    5 Gerry Pflug (Freddie FU/Kona/Speedgoat Bikes) 43.11
    DNF Chris Eatough (Trek / VW)

Women
    1 Sue Haywood (Trek / VW) 8.12.36*
    2 Carolyn Popovic (Trek / VW) 49.06
    3 Carrie Lowrey (Outdoor Store) 1.02.32
    4 Tanya Nestvogel (Prestige Subaru / Titus) 1.28.14
    5 Daniele Musto (Slingshot) 1.36.25
    DNF Trish Stevenson (Pro Bikes)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    And just how did your brother manage to get out ahead of Landis in the first place? Must have been on that first gravel road section near the start. If I had been there the only time I would have been ahead of Landis would have been at the keg the night before.
    the same thought entered my mind, but he's not one to embellish. He leaves that to meAnd as to the keg, I'd be the one to beat someone to it, not my brother & certainly not the night before.

large member
    It was definitely a day of heart breaks. I passed by Eatough as he was on the side of the road, 12ish miles in with a seized up rear hub and broken axel. Everyone in my pace group was pretty surprised and also bummed he was out of the game to help put pressure on the front of the pack. I couldn't believe just how dry some of the course had become over the week, and some of the descents had gotten quite loose and rough. I had two buddies both seperate their sholders. One was thought to have possibly broken his collar bone and they wouldn't let him continue past CP3. It was a rough day and it seemed like one by one people were falling out of our pack after some nasty spills on the tight rocky high speed descents. I was happy to know the trails well and know what to expect. I finished, but it took me a while (13:15) and was able to finish up before dark.

Schaulk set the new record at 7:06 and I was very happy to see Harlan finish strong as well. Apparently Landis was ahead of Harlan the majority of the race up to CP6. Landis stopped at CP6 and asked how far back Harlan was reported to be (about 6 minutes). He said he was sick and tired of riding alone and wanted to wait for Harlan to race him at the end. Well, Harlan came blowing by him at CP6 and Landis took off, but never came close to catching him.

Fun day!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    It was a rough day and it seemed like one by one people were falling out of our pack after some nasty spills on the tight rocky high speed descents. I was happy to know the trails well and know what to expect. I finished, but it took me a while (13:15) and was able to finish up before dark.
    Not knowing the trails and as loose as the descents were it definitely was a white knuckle ride few times.

Mud, small world, I keep seeing your posts here, and only now I put two and two together, remember two tall guys on 29er rigid SSs in orange and blue jerseys (I was in blue), trading spots with you and your buddy for the last 30-ish miles?

I managed to finish just minutes in front of you in about 13:12-ish...

dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!!

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by dzm3

Mud, small world, I keep seeing your posts here, and only now I put two and two together, remember two tall guys on 29er rigid SSs in orange and blue jerseys (I was in blue), trading spots with you and your buddy for the last 30-ish miles?
    Small world it is. I have to say, that trailside pit stop climbing up to the top of the braleys descent was quite nice!

It was fun burning up all those miles with everyone. I suppose I'll do it again next year. I'd like to try do it sub 12hr.

mtbr member
    I knew you would remember *that*!

I'm sure there were many many MTBRers out there. I know I saw rt's pink bike the day before.

dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!!

mtbr member
    11 and change. Worse bonk ever after CP 6- I was dry heaving spinning granny on the flat two-track transition on the descent into the finish. Must take 10 minutes to eat more next time...
    Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    Small world it is.
    yeah it is... i was the guy in orange. good times before that great final descent...

that was a great course, i am going back next year!

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    yeah it is... i was the guy in orange. good times before that great final descent...

that was a great course, i am going back next year!
    Gotta love old empty beer (mtbr)!

I'll be back for sure as well, and hopefully hit up w101 and cohutta next year too.

mtbr member
    My thoughts exactly! I'm hooked.

W101 and SM100 are 3-5 hours from Philly, Cohutta, Lamberjack and Mohican are 8-9 hours, still doable driving distance, so those are a possibility too!!!
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0