I don't want to build my bike...- Mtbr.com
    17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

I don't want to build my bike...

Looking to buy a mid to upper level bike to ride in the North East(LOTS of roots) and race XC.
    Like many of us I would like a 120 fork and 100 rear but not many options and prefer not to dismantle a new or build from scratch.
    I wish there were more 120/100 or even a 120/120 that can be raced somewhat competitively (not beginner)

That is the main criteria but would prefer a mild fork offset (less than 51)not too slack (68.5+) and remote lock out if possible...and as long as wishing, I prefer Shimano.
    The Yeti ASRC checked a lot of boxes but being discontinued, non boost it came off the list of a rare breed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Tallboy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Kona Hei Hei is exactly at 120/100....but the head angle is about 0.5 degree slacker than your requirement above...
    Kona Process 153 29er

Wanna ride bikes?
    Kona Hei Hei. It's a modern XC bike, HTA's are slightly more slack now and it's not a bad thing. The Hei Hei is a sweet bike.

What's your budget? What size do you need?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had a chance to buy a heihei dl last year and probably should have (felt a bit small) as I like it in green and with shimano & fox. (Don't like this years color or parts)
    Budget 4-5k+ will buy set of race day wheels if needed, 5'-9"
    Not interested in used

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Tallboy?
    Probably the least “racey” low travel bike out there, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    In a forum a while back someone did a similar search and came out with the scalpel fsi. It's pretty slack for a 100mm soft tail and has the lefty fork. The lefty would be about a pound lighter than the pike and those bikes normally come with a pretty nice XC wheelset. You should be looking at something like a santa cruz tallboy, rocky mountain thunderbolt, Trek fuel ex, Trek Stache, or giant anthem 2 if you want something that ticks all of your boxes. The giant anthem 2 is a slightly lower spec than what your probaly looking for but it still has 110 rear 130 front with maestro suspension.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    In a forum a while back someone did a similar search and came out with the scalpel fsi. It's pretty slack for a 100mm soft tail and has the lefty fork. The lefty would be about a pound lighter than the pike and those bikes normally come with a pretty nice XC wheelset. You should be looking at something like a santa cruz tallboy, rocky mountain thunderbolt, Trek fuel ex, Trek Stache, or giant anthem 2 if you want something that ticks all of your boxes. The giant anthem 2 is a slightly lower spec than what your probaly looking for but it still has 110 rear 130 front with maestro suspension.
    In what world is a 100mm FS bike a “soft tail”?

It is a modified single pivot full suspension frame. Like similar frame designs made by Scott, Kona, Orbea, Specialized, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've always referred to fs bikes as softails. I see the confusion between something like the dated frames that was somewhat similar to the new pro caliber.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Element | Rocky Mountain Bicycles They updated this bike.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Student of the Bike
    +1

Yep, when I read the OP's requirements this is what came to my mind also.

Later,
    CJB

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    really short reach and high stack on those Pivot Mach 429's IIRC
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks everyone, keep them coming but on the above the Element probably matches Me the best...that shock just looks like an afterthought but otherwise strong contender.(wow just noticed 32" standover and I have short legs for 5-9)
    After that it seems I may have to take a 100mm bike and add a 120 fork...what 100mm bike is that? Race & trail ready but wont screw geo so much I end up with a 72deg seat tube etc.(or 67 ht, or short reach)

k^2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 on Mach 429sl.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Lots of people like the new top fuel with a 120 fork. Lots of people are setting up niners with 120mm forks as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 17j View Post
    Thanks everyone, keep them coming but on the above the Element probably matches Me the best...that shock just looks like an afterthought but otherwise strong contender.(wow just noticed 32" standover and I have short legs for 5-9)
    After that it seems I may have to take a 100mm bike and add a 120 fork...what 100mm bike is that? Race & trail ready but wont screw geo so much I end up with a 72deg seat tube etc.(or 67 ht, or short reach)
    A 120 on 429sl gives you that 72d SA and really short reach. Why I'm not riding one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Top fuel with 120 or used 16' Fuel EX

mtbr member
    +1 for Pivot Mach 429sl. Proper suspension shouldn't need remote lockout

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks, Trek may be an ok solution (sc for sale) others I may consider based on local support (with 120 fork)
    Spec Epic
    Giant Anthem 29
    Felt Edict

I think what yeti did so well is with a 120 fork it wasnt jacked up in the front end like so many are (heihei, Elelment) or modified above list with 120 becasuse Yeti had a short HT. This is why I believe a balanced 120/120 would be the best as it would be flat/level/balanced. I'd go with the std scott but 67.3 ha and low BB are show stoppers.

Bring back the old fuel ex, update the camber, yeti release next would be the best set up for me. I think they don't do it because it does cover too much and blends segments that they can otherwise sell consumers two bikes.

mtbr member
    The last two seasons I’ve raced both the Pivot 429SL and the Santa Cruz Tallboy 3. Both were great. The 429 was a bit faster on smooth courses and the TB more forgiving on the rough courses. This year I’m on a new Giant Anthem 29. Very light and fast but not as comfortable as either of my two previous bikes.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks, Trek may be an ok solution (sc for sale) others I may consider based on local support (with 120 fork)
    Spec Epic
    Giant Anthem 29
    Felt Edict

I think what yeti did so well is with a 120 fork it wasnt jacked up in the front end like so many are (heihei, Elelment) or modified above list with 120 becasuse Yeti had a short HT. This is why I believe a balanced 120/120 would be the best as it would be flat/level/balanced. I'd go with the std scott but 67.3 ha and low BB are show stoppers.

Bring back the old fuel ex, update the camber, yeti release next would be the best set up for me. I think they don't do it because it does cover too much and blends segments that they can otherwise sell consumers two bikes.
    Check out the Santa Cruz tallboy. It is 110 rear and 120 front and can be found at good prices. If your willing to look at 27.5 check out the 27.5 giant anthem. 110 rear 130 front and the rocky mountain thunderbolt. 120 rear 130 front. The Tallboy is the closest thing to a rough trail XC bike out there. It's likely not going to podium at WC races but it's faster than a fast trail bike. Plus you can find some great deals on it as well. If they engineered an XC bike to require a 120 fork the tallboy is what you would get.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Just FYI Kona uses the same frame geometry for both their XC Race version (100/100) and their standard/Endurance 100/120 bikes. The only thing that changes if the fork length. (Just wanted to mention that as you brought it up earlier, I'll stop tooting that horn now.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Loving my Element. On my 3rd. The redesign is amazing and spanks the old 95mm version. Racey enough but its a Rocky so it loves to be pushed on the DH. Loves to be hammered through rooty rocky chop. I'm 5'9" with short legs as well and ride the medium. Just my .2 cents

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Narrowed to epic or edict both with 120 forks
    I will use a fox fork...is it true at 120mm; that a 34 weighs a pound more than a 32?
    Also, I am not a brain hater (my last bike had one) Any other reason I should go with one vs the other? I suspect I can make the epic lighter but other than geo not sure a lot of difference.