K3N
    Certified slacker

How to train for a 24hr duo?

I've done a couple 12hr duos and never really thought much about training for it since we alternate laps. I only had to ride hard for an hour and 15 minutes or so and then rest for the next hour. Our plan for the 24hr is to alternate laps also, but is there any advice on how to prepare myself (ourselves) for doing this for a full day?

...a wiggle theres a way
    A few suggestions i have for you are this:
    a) make sure you use a good pair of biking shorts and some good chamois cream
    b) get a good nights sleep the day before the event (it will make the night time laps easier)
    c) Make sure you eat, drink during the night laps
    d) Stay warm during the night rest laps - build a fire, start up the propane space heater, this helps make those night laps more doable
    e) For the night laps, it will probably also help if you have something warm (i.e. espresso, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc...) this helped a lot when i did my duo race.
    f) Make sure that you have some extra batteries charged and ready to go

The other thing that was helpful is having your team mate at the exchange tent, it shows that they are ready to go, supportive, and if you have a beer or a coke for them they'll (and if the reciprocate the gesture) love it!

good luck!
    jw

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Entertain the idea of doing double laps. It gives the rider on standby more time to eat, hydrate, rest and regroup. Keep your support team (if you have one) on a short leash. Keep the chit chat to a minimum and make sure your transitions are quick and smooth. Don't drink beer until after the race is over. Getting a good night sleep the night before is nice but not very likely, start banking your sleep equity a week or 2 out, and start hydrating properly at least a week out. Keep your camp site neat and hassle free. Your there to race your bike, not to drag 300lbs of camping crap up to campsite. Screw cooking, prepare all of your food before hand, and bring sugary chocolate treats for the late night bonk lap. And oh yeah " Kill the Timid"
    Good luck

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Wiggy-all great tips,thanks. I am definatly bringing a ton of firewood for the night, I think staying warm on rest laps is very important.

RyderX- The idea of double laps has come up, I like it for the extra rest time, thats just the one thing that we are playing by ear. We've had past success with the transitions, so no problems there. The wife will be on food duty so I shouldnt have to mess with any of that either.

I

mtbr member
    The question of double laps comes up from time to time and I researched it before doing my first duo. I think it depends on your goals for the race and the strengths of your partner. By research, I mean I looked at results for the races I was planning on. The fastest duos always seemd to alternate laps. From experience I now know that at the end of each lap I am really looking forward to stopping for an hour or so. Especially at night. My partner and I are very evenly matched so alternating has worked well, but maybe doubling would work better for you.

Other than that, make sure your lights are dialed, try to rest in between laps and eat. I bring a jetboil to quickly heat up soup and make coffee. It is great for the wee hours. I'm bringing a propane heater to my next event b/c I get pretty jealous when I see others all warm and toasty. I'm not sure that any specific training will help - I train for endurance racing (6-10 hour races) and it works pretty well to throw a duo in every now and again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Check out XXC Magazine #8, page 10/11. Some tips on racing Duo by Lynda Wallenfels. Might help.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by dostres View Post
    The fastest duos always seemd to alternate laps. From experience I now know that at the end of each lap I am really looking forward to stopping for an hour or so. Especially at night. My partner and I are very evenly matched so alternating has worked well, but maybe doubling would work better for you.
    That is also what I noticed, looking at last years results.

We are so evenly matched its strange. Neither one of is significantly stronger than the other. In our last race our lap times only had a 8 minute spread form the fastest to slowest. We run alot also and our pace is always matched too.

Thanks for the link to the xxc mag. Clicking that link cost me about an hour and a half! Very cool stuff!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Pairs in 2011 Scott Australian 24Hr MTB Champs

I have attached the pairs results. Normally here in Canberra, the riders seem to do 1 lap each by day and then 2 laps each by night - so that the "off" rider has a chance for a little bit more rest.

But, there are exceptions - take a look at first place in the Male Pairs ... 8 laps in a row each, then 4 laps each. Maybe they were using the race as training for a marathon.

Also - this race used our "Hourglass" course, where there were 2 laps, red and blue, slightly different lengths and degree of technicality. The riders do a lap, red for example, and then at the end of that they (or their team mate) automatically starts on the blue, then red again etc. So, I think there would be a slight bias to doing 2 laps at least, because that way the riders get to see the whole course.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    I've tried both the single and the double lap methods with two different team mates. As many have mentioned its going to greatly depend on your team mate on what works for you. At the last two 24 hour we have gone with double laps, each were 16-18 km and rough lap times of 45-50 minutes. around this was the perfect balance for our legs, not to much down time to seize up and short enough for us to keep our intensity fairly high.

As for training for it, time in the seat, long amounts of time in the saddle is the answer.

New MTB XC Racer
    Don't under estimate the value of a pit crew even for tag. Having someone to fill water bottles, warm up tea/coffee/soup and plug in lights is a big plus.
    If lap times are around an hour or so it goes fast and your partner will be back before you know it.
    Seems a lot of fast guys like to alternate but of course there are always exceptions.
    One of the great things about tag is if one person is stronger you can do double laps to your partners one and still be fairly fast(maybe not podium fast) and both can get their race fix and have a ton of fun ! ! !

If you want to podium big key is to be prepared before the event and not waste time and energy running around camp when you could be resting or back out on course....

Cheers,
    Paul

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
    Don't under estimate the value of a pit crew even for tag.
    I'd even go as far as to say especially for a tag. It's hard to discuss strategies or options with your partner once the race starts, but it really helps to be following the same game plan. Someone to pass information and maybe even help with decisions is a big help.
    I also like double laps with the option of switching to singles later in the race ( takes communication to do that).
    Cheers, Dave