How Much Drop - Dropper Posts.- Mtbr.com

Poll: How much drop is ideal for a technical race

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

How Much Drop - Dropper Posts.

Folks,

I wanted to do a quick poll of how much dropper you think is "enough" for technical stage racing. I know there's a trend to do more and more, but some frames are limited only to 65mm or 80mm (especially in smaller sizes) and I was curious what everyone thought was enough dropper to be effective.

I'm looking to buy a new bike for the next spring, I'm in Europe, and my most frequented LBS is a BMC dealer. As some of you know the new Fourstroke comes with a built-in oval dropper post with 80mm of drop. I'm between this bike and a Scott Spark 900 something, unfortunately, other candidates have fallen to the wayside because of either them be unavailable, poorly supported or impossible to see beforehand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I use a Thomson dropper and find that at times I expect the saddle to drop lower. That said, I've also never found myself getting hung up on the saddle, so my feeling is that it's about the sweet spot (for me).

mtbr member
    I'm not a racer but surely it all depends on the terrain? I have a 100mm dropper but only use the full drop occasionally, on very steep descents for example.

mtbr member
    I have 185mm and would happily take more.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Zip.

Perfectly content.
    Whining is not a strategy.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Zip.

Perfectly content.

And I thought I was a throwback...

I have 125mm as the most on any of my bikes. Feels perfect to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    And I thought I was a throwback...

I have 125mm as the most on any of my bikes. Feels perfect to me.
    Thatís my length dropper as well. My inseam is only 30.5Ē so I donít really need any more than that. Plus the fact that on some bikes in the smaller sizes the tire could hit the seat in full compression with the seat slammed.

Function in disaster, finish in style.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    It depends on your inseam, seatpost angle, and BB height. My 125mm post was fine on my Stumpjumper with a slack SP and low BB, but my GG bike has such a steep post that it wouldn't drop out of the way enough and I often couldn't reach the ground with it down. I have a 39" inseam though. I changed to a 160mm bikeyoke post, and it is good now. I could have gone ahead and bought the 185mm bikeyoke, but my bike shop guys said the 160 would be more durable.
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I just got a 105mm PNW dropper from my F-si. I usually only use about half the drop because I want to maintain some pedaling efficiency. Only on the dedicated downhill sections or scary stuff do I use the full 105mm.

For marathon/Xc I think you will be fine with 80mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoods View Post
    I just got a 105mm PNW dropper from my F-si. I usually only use about half the drop because I want to maintain some pedaling efficiency. Only on the dedicated downhill sections or scary stuff do I use the full 105mm.

For marathon/Xc I think you will be fine with 80mm.

In what scenario do you only drop the post partway and pedal seated? I can't say I've ever found a need for that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Definitely partial drop is useful when pedaling over chunk and/or through curves. One great thing I learned about my Bikeyoke dropper is it seems to be infinitely adjustable instead of having preset positions.
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    In what scenario do you only drop the post partway and pedal seated? I can't say I've ever found a need for that.

Flowing sections with short punchy climbs and descents and lots of curves. Helps me handle better.

mtbr member
    It all comes down to what you define as technical. I have a 125mm dropper on my trail/Enduro bike. I don't have one on my XC bikes (100/100 and SS HT). I do stage races and endurance races on my 100/100 bike. This weekend I was doing shuttle runs on some trails on my enduro bike. I only need the full length of the dropper on the very most diffiuclt terrain. Very rocky and super steep. I used it else were, but did not need all 125mm. These were on trails beyond what would see in a XC stage race even in a "technical" one.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    As much as you can get I'd say

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSleep View Post
    As much as you can get I'd say
    That's the answer. As much as your frame and inseam will allow. I foresee a future with with ultra low seat tubes and integrated wireless droppers that are adjustable to match your inseam. Bring it on.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    for the 'endurance' race venues I've raced/rode at I have never needed a dropper.
    This because I ride with my seat about an inch to 1.25" low so that any techy terrain presents no problems.
    That said, it 'might' be nice to have one on my race bike so that I could easily raise the saddle for maximum power in pedally sections though.
    btw, my all mountain bike has a 150mm dropper which I typically
    only use about half of, at most.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Flowing sections with short punchy climbs and descents and lots of curves. Helps me handle better.
    Poorly phrased question on my part. Those are scenarios I drop the post, I just don't see an advantage to only dropping it part of the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Poorly phrased question on my part. Those are scenarios I drop the post, I just don't see an advantage to only dropping it part of the way.
    The advantage for me is I can maintain some pedaling efficiency when there are opportunities to pedal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The advantage for me is I can maintain some pedaling efficiency when there are opportunities to pedal.

Yep, I just had my first experience where I actually wanted to use some mid-part of the dropper's travel at Erie 80 yesterday rather than the whole enchilada due to the frequency and short length of time I needed to drop the post. Always learning...

Cycologist
    Yep, I just had my first experience where I actually wanted to use some mid-part of the dropper's travel at Erie 80 yesterday rather than the whole enchilada due to the frequency and short length of time I needed to drop the post. Always learning...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.