How long does your favorite A race bib/short last?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

How long does your favorite A race bib/short last?

When does the favorite pair of bib/shorts, that's your big endurance A race kit, get swapped out?

Been rotating between two pair Voler Black Label and an Assos S7 (or something-a-rather) for several years. Washed and dried properly. Noticing one pair of Voler has recently given me discomfort on the same bike/saddles as the other two. Equal use as the others. Saddle is the same on all bikes which were replaced in 2019.

That got me thinking: how long, either in years or miles, does your go-to bib/short last before it becomes trainerwear or for shorter rides?

Or is my mind (butt) playing tricks on me, and highend pads last for many many years??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Noticing one pair of Voler has recently given me discomfort on the same bike/saddles as the other two.
    Right there, when you notice discomfort and/or wear. I'm on my second year with my "Race" kit, 12 races so far and total of about 30+ hours of saddle time. It sucks when the kit is still in good condition visually but the chamois wears out.
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | “If you’re not first you’re last”

Formerly of Kent
    Go Assos and never buy anything else again. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they are worth it.

I've raced/ridden Castelli, Ale, Voler, and several other brands. Nothing comes close to Assos.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Go Assos and never buy anything else again. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they are worth it.

I've raced/ridden Castelli, Ale, Voler, and several other brands. Nothing comes close to Assos.
    I may do that. I love my Bellweathers but the chamois seems to be getting baggier or stretched if that makes sense. My business seems to be falling out of line much more frequently.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Pactimo 12 hour bibs, have 3 pairs i rotate through, ride pretty much every day, they are 2 years old and are holding out great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Pactimo is currently making some of the best bibs at a reasonable price point.

Assos - I'm a price point shopper and just can't spend that kind of money on something that is always one crash away from the trash-bin.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    +3 (or wherever we're at) on Pactimo at least on their upper end stuff (including the 12hr bibs - which I shelled out for outside of the team kits). Also good, but limited, experiences with DNA.

to OP, in my circles we'll just say the chamois "soured" or went bad. Sometimes after washings, the edges just start to lift or perhaps become hardened/abrasive in some way. We used to run a kit by Primal a few years back and while I had tried to rotate kits to maximize their life sometimes they'll just go bad well before the others from the same batch.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    Pactimo is currently making some of the best bibs at a reasonable price point.

Assos - I'm a price point shopper and just can't spend that kind of money on something that is always one crash away from the trash-bin.
    Why would you throw them away?

Assos does repairs for life.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Why would you throw them away?
    Assos does repairs for life.
    That is a very commendable practice.
    But there are limitations... while they do have a "Crash Policy" its only good(good meaning 'no charge') for the first 3 months.

...in truthfulness, I usually do not throw out damaged shorts/bibs, I just relegate them to wear under baggies for fun rides. I'm not knocking ASSOS at all, I'm just admitting to be a cheap-skate!
    TTUB - Ventura County California

Formerly of Kent
    FWIW, I ride $150 bibs and $20 AliExpress jerseys. I’ve actually been very pleasantly surprised by the latter, and make the overall purchase of functional/comfortable cycling apparel bearable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Which Assos you prefer?

Formerly of Kent
    I have three pairs of S7s and one pair of the new S9 RS.

The RS has a thinner, less bulky chamois. Not any more or less comfortable, just smaller and a bit thinner.

SwissIconic.com occasionally has them on a very good sale.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality and longevity of the cheap OneTen bibs I've been using for 2+ years. I didn't buy them with longevity in mind; thought I'd give them a try as an expendable commuting/training short, but the construction of the shorts and quality of the pad turned out to be much better than I anticipated at this price-point (I think I paid less than $50/pair). However, it seems ChainReaction has discontinued this clothing line.

On the other hand, I've been fairly disappointed with DeSoto. Last winter, I purchased shorts with their vaunted "400 Mile" pad. 18 hours and 180 miles into my first big ride with these, I was having a "400-grit" experience. The abrasiveness of the pad diminished after several washes, and the shorts have stayed in the circulation...however, I can't use these on a 12-24+ hour effort without a healthy coating of chamois butter (in which case, they seem to function fine). As I said to my friend, this is a piece of kit I wouldn't miss if I lost it or threw it away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    In my battle with saddle sores, I finally found that one of my bibs never caused an issue.

I then began wearing that bib for half my rides and all rides over 2 hours. So it probably has well over 500 hours and still works perfectly. I have since, began purchasing only kits with this chamois unless I absolutely love the other one. It’s just not worth it to ride in anything else. It’s the Giordana entry level chamois and the one that is now used in many of the mellow Johnny’s kits.

I now have the original and two new in the rotation along with two of XC race kits (lovethepain...6month wait) which have a “good enough” chamois that doesn’t cause problems but isn’t amazing.

All my other chamois from other brands have broken down and caused gradual problems and regrets.

Ill use my Swat and Other bibs on the trainer only now. The SWAT works great for holding water bottles while on the trainer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I don't really think there's much mystery in building good shorts anymore. Ages ago, there were some real brillo pad mistakes floating around by the big names.

These days, I can ride happily in Bontrager, Specialized, Hammer, and -- sit down -- closeout Performance shorts.

But the first 100 I did was in some (now very old) PI shorts. No issues whatsoever, and I owned three pair, so I did every damn endurance race I entered over 15 years in those shorts. And wore them all out.

Why mess with success.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    May 2004

amen.
    Assos all the way. Sponsor youself

my old Assos bib is 2x FI.13 from 2003.
    Next 2x FI.Mille from 2006
    then I have a Campionissmo from 2006
    they just keep going
    three latest pairs are S7 Mille and Cento.
    They outlast all other bibs by a long way