• 07-20-2006
    whatthedillyo13
    Hip packs versus back packs
    hip vs. back packs. thinking of trying a hip hydration pack for endurance races. Does anybody have any experiences with hip packs and mountain biking???
  • 07-20-2006
    Tad
    I've tried small hip packs without hydration (mountainsmith) and found that they swing around too much, as in twist around my hip. But I hate sweaty packs and I don't carry much, so I'm going to give them another go, with a bit of customisation.

I'm eyeing the Golite hare pack. Anybody got any other suggestions in that size range?
  • 07-20-2006
    alizbee
    I have been using packs from Wingnut this year. I really like them. They are light, and comfy. They sit lower on your back, and the larger models have pockets that wrap around your hips. They are very easy to get in and out of, and make for versatile, easy to use packs.

www.wingnutgear.com
  • 07-21-2006
    teamdicky
    1 Attachment(s)
    I also have a Wingnut Assault. It is very comfortable. That said, I am not sure when I will use it. I have found that with water bottles I can guage my H2O consumption better. The brief moment it takes to drink also forces me to back off the pace slightly. I have been using this fanny pack so I can carry about 46oz of water (with a bottle on the bike) and all the tools I need to fix my junk up. I don't carry the mini-pump anymore and I removed the pouch I initially added for film canisters of electrolytes. The bungee cord holds arm warmers or a vest quite nicely.

All the packs I ever tried with a waist mounted bladder were terribly unstable.
  • 07-21-2006
    KERKOVEJ
    Wingnut.
    I'll give a nother 'nod for the Wingnut. I love mine, and will have a hard time going back to the a-typical hydration pack. I have a review HERE
  • 07-21-2006
    Eddie O
    One more Wingnut Gear user here. I race with the Assualt and use the Hyper 2.5 for everything else.

Light weight, balanced positioning, easy access...on & on.

http://wingnutgear.com/

Eddie O
  • 07-21-2006
    westin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    I'll give a nother 'nod for the Wingnut. I love mine, and will have a hard time going back to the a-typical hydration pack. I have a review HERE

Any disadvantages compared to a Camelbak type system?
  • 07-21-2006
    namrita
    Quote:

Originally Posted by westin

nope. none. well...i prefer the bite valve on camelbak bladders, but the bite valve can be replaced easily enough on the bladder that fits the Wingnut. i've actually just left mine as is, and i've gotten used to it.

other than that, no, the Wingnut blows any Camelbak model i've used (and i've pretty much used them all) out of the water.
  • 07-21-2006
    teamdicky
    Quote:

I didn't like the bite valve. The tubing was huge, so I had to put a zip tie around it when I put a CB valve in it.
    The reservoir screw cap isn't tethered to the bladder. Drop a wet lid in the dirt at an aid station and tell me it doesn't matter. I do LOVE the handle on the filling hole which makes it WAY easy to fill.
    The back of the pack is mesh. I liked this feature on my Camelback Rocket because it allowed the liquid to cool your back by contact. The Wingnut placed the cold bladder right on my lower back muscles. It hurt like hell till the water got warmer. I put the little removable insulating thing from my Rocket in there and problem solved.
    The yoke in the back seems to ride high on my neck. I am still fiddling with the straps to see if I can fix that.

I still like it. Just realize I complain about everything.

I should add I love my really old Blowfish, but there are tons of things I would change about it if I could. I did all the mods I was capable of doing myself.
  • 07-21-2006
    namrita
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teamdicky
    The reservoir screw cap isn't tethered to the bladder. Drop a wet lid in the dirt at an aid station and tell me it doesn't matter. I do LOVE the handle on the filling hole which makes it WAY easy to fill.

ditto that too.
  • 07-21-2006
    LyNx
    My problem with using hip packs is that they usually end up giving me lower back pain/ache, as well as mounce around a bit. I like my CB MULE.
  • 07-22-2006
    KERKOVEJ
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Nope.

I use the Assault which allows me to carry enough water for about 4 hours in 50 to 75 degree temps. The pack is small enough that I can still get into the side pockets of my jersey, and there is even room in the hydration pack itself for a tool kit and tube. The biggest advantage I can stop talking about is the lack of fatigue that normally comes into the hands, arms, and shoulders after wearing a traditional hydration pack.
  • 07-22-2006
    7HVN
    Which bladder you using?
    Quote:

Nope.

I use the Assault which allows me to carry enough water for about 4 hours in 50 to 75 degree temps. The pack is small enough that I can still get into the side pockets of my jersey, and there is even room in the hydration pack itself for a tool kit and tube. The biggest advantage I can stop talking about is the lack of fatigue that normally comes into the hands, arms, and shoulders after wearing a traditional hydration pack.

I was wondering if you could stuff a 100oz. or 70oz. Camelbak bladder into the Assault or any other non Wingnut bladder for that matter. Basically do I need to get the Hyper 2.5 or 3.0 if I want more H2O for the long rides in the summer. Do you think the Hyper 2.5 or 3.0 can be cinched down well enough for regular rides without being floppy or cumbersome. The Assault looks perfect for regular rides and races but can it hang with the epic days. Also what does Wingnut mean by "Small size shoulder straps" on their ordering page of their website and are the micro XY zippers worth it.

Mahalo.
    :thumbsup:

P.S. Anybody talk to the guys at Wingnut lately? I tried several times over the last couple of weeks and all I get is the answering machine.
  • 07-22-2006
    teamdicky
    1 Attachment(s)
    I don't think a 70 oz bladder would fit in the assault. With a large water bottle on your bike you would have almost 80 oz of water for a long ride. I've only seen (but not tried) the bigger packs and they are quite roomy. I wouldn't say the Assault would do epic unless you travel light and drink very little. I only mention all these things because it sounds like you are in the same boat I was in. The Assault is too small for my big rides, but the bigger packs seemed enormous. When I asked about the small straps he said they were for smaller framed people (smaller than me at 5'8" according to Wingnut tech guy).
    It's not the same style but you might want to look at the Novara Big Buzz Hydration Pack:
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...HP_CYCLING_TOC
    It has waist pockets, 100 oz of water, a big waist belt (I added one to my Blowfish and it really helps carry the weight off your shoulders), and all kinds of other cool features you can read about on your own. By the way, it's $65 just like the Assault.
  • 07-23-2006
    Eddie O
    There is a larger version of the Assault called the Slitback. It lacks the WingPockets for the Hyper packs, but holds a 100oz bladder. Like the Assault it has storage that is accessible while riding and uses the lowrider harness.

All that said the Hyper 2.5 is the perfect epic pack for me. I could reconsider if I was to the Hundie series and go minimalistic with either the Assault or Spitback, but for all day rides in the backcountry I like to be prepared with some basic emergency supplies, a jacket and food/water to spare. When empty it's neither floppy or cumbersome. If it's a worry, then there is compression straps on the main pocket in the rear as well as compression closures on the Wingpockets.

BTW - The Wingnut factory has been in the process of moving (think of moving your house time 10) as well as a trip out to Primal Quest to test the new solar tent
  • 07-23-2006
    alizbee
    I raced the E50 with my Assault yesterday. It worked like a charm I was able ot speedily and easily re-fill it at the aid stations and the small zippers on the side allowed me to get to my extra flasks while still on the move.

Oh, and I never felt like I was wearing a pack at all.
  • 07-25-2006
    snowangel
    Wingnut
    Hey 7HVN....

I got ahold of Wingnut last wednesday after trying for nearly three weeks. Sounds like they are moving their warehouse/store from one location to another. Just leave a few messages on their machine, and eventually they will get back to you. Its worth the trouble for their great product!

Good Luck!
  • 07-25-2006
    7HVN
    Wingnut lives!
    Scott called me Monday and answered all my Q's. Needless to say, I have a Hyper 3.0 on order. Only one problamo: I have to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery due to a back order on the buckels they need for their packs. Oh well, I am sure it be worth the wait.
  • 07-31-2006
    SVO
    Wingnut = Ulitmate Direction ca. late '90s
    I am still using my old Ultimate "lumbar pack" that is very tired and worn. Have wanted to replace it for years and noticed this thread- good to see someone is making this inherently superior design. A shame Ultimate abandoned theirs- but their bladders do suck.
  • 08-01-2006
    antonio
    Scott called me too (and e-mailed, and another employee called as well). If their product is anything like their post-sale customer service, I expect to have an awesome Assault in a few days, in time for my first 24 (Great Glen in NH).

Thanks to all for the info on this thread.

BTW - will a newer version of the Omega 72oz reservoir fit, or should i return it for a 50oz?

Ant
  • 08-02-2006
    skinl19
    I've used the Wingnut Hyper 2.5 for several races and rides now and a few observations.

Positive:
    I like the lower weight distribution.
    The side pockets are great for accessing things while on the move
    Lots of carrying capacity including water

Negative
    In the rougher terrain it will bounce more than a Camelbak
    Longer hose due to low position seems to require more suction to get the water
    Bladder a little more difficult to insert into pack if filled on the outside (needs longer zipper on opening)
    Bite valve large and harder to operate

I ended up getting a tubing adapter and added a short piece of Camelbak sized hose to use the Camelbak bite valve. The extra length also allows me to run the hose over the shoulder rather than under.

Overall I am pleased with the pack for long, unsupported rides or races. If racing lap type events I just switch Camelbaks since I already have three of the same. The smaller Wingnuts seem like they would be the hot setup but I don't see the need for the cash outlay required to change.
  • 08-14-2006
    Whambat
    Another wingnut fan. I got the 3.0 a few months ago and love it more every ride, even short ones with the girlfriend. I have lower back problems and it has eliminated the pain I'd get from my loaded hawg. Plus, I can get into those mesh wing pockets while riding easier than a jersey pocket.
  • 07-26-2009
    anthonyi
    Wingnut Assault
    I'd like to BUMP this thread.
    Any update on the bladder issues? I just received my Assault, and need to buy a bladder. Which one / ones?
    Thanks.
  • 07-26-2009
    SVO
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyi
    I'd like to BUMP this thread.
    Any update on the bladder issues? I just received my Assault, and need to buy a bladder. Which one / ones?
    Thanks.

Get a Camelbak bladder. Nothing is better and many are worse. I now have 2 wingnuts for the past couple of years. Very happy with both.
  • 07-26-2009
    anthonyi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SVO
    Get a Camelbak bladder. Nothing is better and many are worse. I now have 2 wingnuts for the past couple of years. Very happy with both.

Thanks for the tip, but my CamelPak bladder is too long to fit properly in my Assault. It would need to be folded in half to fit. Which Wingnut do you have, and how do you get your bladder to fit?

I actually just pulled out a few old 2L Platypus stand-alone bladders from my climbing gear that are almost square, and fit perfectly. I'm going to order new tubes and bite valves for them, as they now make better valves than my old rubber ones.
  • 07-26-2009
    Johnny K
    Ok...so I have a Camelbak 100 oz bladder. Which of the Wingnut packs will this fit in? Or I guess, which will it not?
  • 07-27-2009
    chuckred
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny K
    Ok...so I have a Camelbak 100 oz bladder. Which of the Wingnut packs will this fit in? Or I guess, which will it not?

It fits with lots of room to spare in the Hyper 3.0.

I'm trying to get as much weight as I can off my back to prevent arm/back fatigue and the Wingnut seems to help.

Only complaint I have is trying to get the bite valve situated so it doesn't dangle against my knees (I know there's a bad joke in there somewhere!).
  • 07-27-2009
    SVO
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyi
    Thanks for the tip, but my CamelPak bladder is too long to fit properly in my Assault. It would need to be folded in half to fit. Which Wingnut do you have, and how do you get your bladder to fit?

I actually just pulled out a few old 2L Platypus stand-alone bladders from my climbing gear that are almost square, and fit perfectly. I'm going to order new tubes and bite valves for them, as they now make better valves than my old rubber ones.

You said needed to buy a new bladder. Camelbak makes a couple of smaller ones that fit the attack perfectly. I have the attack and hyper 3.0. The hyper covers too much back on hot days but other than that hard to find fault. OK, there is cost...
  • 07-27-2009
    anthonyi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny K

Definitely not in the Assault.
    From what I can tell, the smaller Wingnuts need a bladder that is "more square"; which is very tough to find. Platypus has some that are called Water Tanks, but they still work with their drinking tubes.
    I still have 2 Platypus bladders from years ago - something similar to the new ones, but without the handle. This should fit in the Assault.....
    http://cascadedesigns.com/Platypus/F...r-Tank/product
  • 07-27-2009
    Johnny K
    How about the Splitback?
  • 07-27-2009
    MT Road
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teamdicky
    I also have a Wingnut Assault. It is very comfortable. That said, I am not sure when I will use it. I have found that with water bottles I can guage my H2O consumption better. The brief moment it takes to drink also forces me to back off the pace slightly. I have been using this fanny pack so I can carry about 46oz of water (with a bottle on the bike) and all the tools I need to fix my junk up. I don't carry the mini-pump anymore and I removed the pouch I initially added for film canisters of electrolytes. The bungee cord holds arm warmers or a vest quite nicely.

All the packs I ever tried with a waist mounted bladder were terribly unstable.

What is in this picture in your post? I could not find it on Wingnut?
  • 07-28-2009
    Maadjurguer
    I've found the hip packs tend to make my IT band issue worse....call me crazy, but I think it constricts the muscles just enough below my hip bone such that the IT band tightens up a little more and exacerbates an already "on the verge of injury" problem. This applies for hiking as well....enough so that I had to abandon hip packs for backpacks with very skinny hip belts (just a strap really....nothing more substantial).
  • 09-22-2009
    anthonyi
    Quote:

Nope.

After purchasing the Wingnut Assault, and mountain biking for at least 2 hours per day, on at least 4 days in the Florida heat, I just wanted to let everyone know that this pack is AWESOME.
    Not only is it more comfortable than my CamelPak, but the amount of heat retention is dramatically reduced. This is the ultimate in Summertime hydration.