mtbr member
    Aug 2014

High Cascades 100

Anyone doing HC100 this year, or have done it in the past and have any advice for a first-timer? I'm a completer rather than a competer of these things. Did Pierre's Hole 100 last year...any ideas on how the two courses compare?

I likely won't be getting to Bend until the day before so won't be able to pre-ride many sections of the course. It sounds like Tiddlywinks is the one that should be scoped out. Any others to be aware of? I don't have great technical skills.

I'm planning to go with a pack to keep on top of hydration, as it's looking like a 30C + degree day.

Really looking forward to riding in Oregon!

mtbr member
    I'll be doing it as well. Never done a 100, but lots of 8s and a few 24hr on teams. Should be a fun day on the bike as I will be looking to finish as well. Looks like it will be pretty warm 90-94 depending on what site your looking at. I've ridden most of the stuff close to town, I wouldnt say its overly tech or anything, but if tired I can see how folks get into trouble on that stuff. I'm debating what size pack to wear. big full on pack or smaller 50oz with my one bottle.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm planning on a pack even though I hate it. Looks like a hot day.

What tires are you (or do you recommend) running? I'll be on a full suspension bike with 120mm travel front and rear. Debating Ikon 2.35 front and rear or maybe switching the rear to a Racing Ralph 2.25.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you are getting to Bend the afternoon before I wouldn't worry about pre-riding Tiddly. There is no great way to do a short pre-ride of that section, so I'd save your energy/limit sun exposure. If you aren't great technically, just roll Tiddly, don't try to jump them and you'll be fine. There are no mandatory drops/jumps.

I'd rock Ikon 2.35 exo f/r if you have them and are comfortable with them. Mike does a great job, you'll have a blast. You'll be in the high country by the time it gets hot, so heat isn't a huge deal.

Consider the hybrid pack option. Rock no pack until the first drop bag spot, grab it there, and then drop it off at the 2nd drop bag area (he's usually done 2 drop bag locations).

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the input everyone! I'll likely go for the 1.5L (I think that's 50oz) pack and a bottle. Probably throw a bottle in each drop bag in case I go the pack switch route.

I'm rolling Maxis Ardents 2.2, but I'm not at the level where equipment choices make a big difference.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    High Cascades 100-high-cascades-100-map-2018-imgur.jpgThanks for the intel. Here is the just released course map for this year if this gives you anymore information for us.

https://i.imgur.com/w3E89pT.jpg

https://www.highcascades100.com/course-maps/

mtbr member
    Im going to run Mezcal 2.35 f&r for the race. They roll super fast, good volume, and grip well enough. Ive ran these for lots of events all over the West. I think I am going to go with the 50oz pack and just fill at aid stations as needed. Drop bottles at the drop stations.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darth tracer View Post
    Im going to run Mezcal 2.35 f&r for the race. They roll super fast, good volume, and grip well enough.
    Those will be great. Tires aren't all that important on that course. Some kind of side wall protection and fresh sealant are the important things.

Thanks for including the map, for those wanting to compete you'll need to be up front when you start going up Funner. As soon as the first person dabs it will create a chain of dismounts. For those just looking to finish, understand there will be delays there; take those times to hydrate and understand that is going to happen and stay calm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    One of the most fun 100 mile courses ever! Super fun trails, however at mile 80 you kinda get sick of the twisty flow, back and forth. The climbs aren't too punishing, but definitely save yourself for the last 20 miles. Bend trails can zap your energy with all the loose dirt/dust. Some sections are very deep and sand-like, especially leading into the last set of climbs.

Tire wise I recommend 2.3"s with some sidewall protection in the rear. There's lots of sharp rock in spots and it's always better to ride over them, not through them.

They do a pretty good job with keeping aid stations stocked with everything you could possibly need.

The start can get squirrelly, as your on the road for a bit before hitting the trail. It gets pretty dusty so try to position yourself towards the front.

mtbr member
    Howd it go for everyone? I went 10:20s and felt pretty good all day. Small camelback was perfect, tire choice Mezcal 2.35 was perfect. The climb in the middle wasnt terrible, and the weather couldnt have been better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Congratulations on your race!

I unfortunately was really sick for the few days leading up to the race, and just felt flat all day. I figured I'd do a 12h ride feeling good (yes, I am actually a slow person), but come race day it was looking more like 13+h, and lots of visiting with my husband at the spectator aid stations. Then with 15km to go, I stupidly stopped paying attention and started thinking about beer and burgers, and the next thing I know I'm hitting the ground like it's a concrete wall. Rode out the remaining singletrack one-handed and that pavement at the end was a blessing for me lol.

So, I finished, but it was painful. AC separation in my right shoulder, and going for a CT scan this week as the radiologist saw something "concerning" on the X-ray. Hoping to be back on the bike in 6-8 weeks, hopefully that's not too ambitious.

Anyways, the course and trails were outstanding, the organization was top-notch, super friendly participants, and I definitely want to do it again!