Carnivore

Have you tried secret drink mix from Scratch Labs?

I've been reading up on Dr. Allen Lim and his work with team Garmin and Radio Shack on nutrition and training. During this time he came up with Secret Drink Mix for his riders. Lots of sodium not much sugar no colors or artificial crap. I just ordered some to try but I was wondering if anybody has tried it for long rides. He says his motivation for developing it was because riders who drink many bottles a day of commercially available electrolyte formulas end up getting stomach problems and not enough sodium. I definitely have problems with getting enough electrolytes in without feeling bad.

His cook book is pretty good. The Feed Zone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No I haven't but here is a link to his site. I might try it I have tryed crborocket and I like it for racing the hammer perpetuem & sustained energy make me sick when I'm racing but I can use it for training.
    Exercise Hydration Mix (aka Secret Drink Mix) | Skratch Labs

Just ride.
    May 2011
    Interested to see how you like it, now I want to give it a go, but just got a jar of GU Brew.

banned
    Feb 2012
    I haven't tried it myself, as I tend to avoid pushing myself to the point of extreme exertion, but some of my buddies that race on the GNCC Motocross circuit swear by it. I suppose if I ever put the racing shoes back on, I'll try it, but that's a few months down the road. Back in the day, Cytomax was my go-to drink, with the occasional round of Accelerade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well I did compair it last night with thw carborocket and the CR has more of everything per serving the Carborocket has like 28grams of suger and the Secret Drink Mix has only 20 grams.. I know that the Hammer endurance stuff doesn't work for me but I did try the Carborocket at a race when I was felling like crap and it got me going again. LW, I was a motocross racer I did GPs and that's where I found the Cytomax Grape! and it works better that the Hammer stuff, Cytomax with a little food is way better for me than any perpetuem & sustained energy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have about a pound of it sitting in my pantry right now. I haven't used it for any long rides yet though it does taste really good.

Carnivore
    I have a pound of it on the way and will report back.

I guess the main issues are that for really long events where replacing electrolytes is required the traditional drinks had too much other junk in them to consume large quantities without getting gastrointestinal issues so the riders started diluting them but then they weren't getting enough sodium. I always run my electrolyte drinks about 1/2 to 2/3 of the recommended concentration for the same reason. This mix deliberately has less sugar and no artificial colors etc. so that riders won't dilute it. That plus the higher concentration of sodium ensures that the riders will get enough sodium.

I usually don't have issues with cramping but have had problems that I associate with low electrolytes and since I'm trying to get into longer and longer endurance riding/racing I figured I better start experimenting.

The only time I really had an issue with cramping was when I did a 6 hr endurance single track motorcycle race and used Cytomax for electrolytes. I have never had such bad leg cramps in my life so I'm looking for something different. I've done mountain bike rides with thousands of feet of climbing that lasted between 5-11 hrs and never had any cramping. I guess moto riding is harder.

Team Velveeta™

sea salt crystals

Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    ...I guess the main issues are that for really long events where replacing electrolytes is required the traditional drinks had too much other junk in them to consume large quantities without getting gastrointestinal issues so the riders started diluting them but then they weren't getting enough sodium...
    For years I've been in the habit of carrying a little film canister of sea salt crystals. Takes on the problem of not enough sodium head-on. Sea salt crystals (or kosher salt crystals) are desirable because just dumping regular fine table salt on your tongue is kind of nasty. I just drop a dozen or two crystals into my palm, toss them in and wash them down.

I've used HEED, Endurolytes, Sportlegs, etc. Perpetuum and Sustained energy have never worked for me; instant gassy indigestion. Lately I've been using tums for the calcium rather than paying a premium for Sportlegs--the calcium is really the ingredient that helps with lactic acid metabolism.

I'm sort of evolving away from synthetic phewd. Mainly because I don't work at a shop any more so it isn't quite so cheap. Medjool dates. Breakfast burritos. Ham Sammitch with extra mayo. Tums. Salt crystals. Day old baked goods from the coffee shop.

Can of SPAM in case I get desperate. It's nasty but it has protein, salt, and fat. And you can pull a can of it that you've had for three years out of the pack and eat it. Can of Red Bull in case I need a kick in the junk.

But I'm not racing. I think the synthetic stuff is probably necessary if you don't feel like you can just stop and eat once in a while.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Make sure not to overdue it with the Tums! Last year I ate several within a 2hr window before a race. Probably like 7-10 of them. I started out feeling fine but each time I climbed a hill I was just getting more tired and unable to recover regardless of how much I backed off. Finally had to stop and found myself very dizzy and felt as though I were gonna pass out right there in the middle of the trail. I basically OD'd on Tums and neutralized my entires digestive system. I almost went to the ER that night but held off. It took me at about 3 days to fully recover.

mtbr member
    Gila; I would be interested to hear what your(or anyone else's) thoughts are on the Dr. A's drink mix. I've been using mixes from Infinite Nutrition up here in Canada. It's a customizable mix depending on your intention of use.
    You can customize the flavour; sodium; caffeine; and strength depending on the 5 step Q&A page. I've found this to work for me so far. I was using (sort of sounding like an addict here :-P) e-Load before but I like that I can control some of the aspects of the flavour. I have a bag of mix for short races and hockey then I have a mixture for anything longer than 3 hours where some proteins are included in the mix.
    Anyhow; I am interested in Dr. A's mix since to do enjoy his cookbook.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    Make sure not to overdue it with the Tums! Last year I ate several within a 2hr window before a race. Probably like 7-10 of them. I started out feeling fine but each time I climbed a hill I was just getting more tired and unable to recover regardless of how much I backed off. Finally had to stop and found myself very dizzy and felt as though I were gonna pass out right there in the middle of the trail. I basically OD'd on Tums and neutralized my entires digestive system. I almost went to the ER that night but held off. It took me at about 3 days to fully recover.
    Not sure why you would take that many Tums before a race. Your body wasn't done digesting them and then needed to focus on using all it's energy for your muscles and heart.

For me, I might take one, an hour before a really hard, short training session or race. Or, for longer rides, I'll take 1 after an hour, and each hour after. Maybe going to 2 per hour on a really long ride after 2 or 3 hours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoroos View Post
    Not sure why you would take that many Tums before a race. Your body wasn't done digesting them and then needed to focus on using all it's energy for your muscles and heart.

For me, I might take one, an hour before a really hard, short training session or race. Or, for longer rides, I'll take 1 after an hour, and each hour after. Maybe going to 2 per hour on a really long ride after 2 or 3 hours.
    I'm sorry if I have to ask but this is the first time I've heard anything in regards to taking Tums for racing. What are the benefits if any or is it to stop any GI issues?

Team Velveeta™

Calcium helps metabolize Lactic Acid

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjohn64 View Post
    I'm sorry if I have to ask but this is the first time I've heard anything in regards to taking Tums for racing. What are the benefits if any or is it to stop any GI issues?
    You may have heard of a product called SportLegs. Its main selling point is that it makes your muscles feel better when they are producing or have produced lactic acid through exertion. I started using them 5 or 6 years ago with very positive effects. I used them for both on-the-bike relief and for recovery.

The ingredient in them that I understand directly effects the lactic acid metabolism is calcium. As I recall they also have quite a bit of vitamin D, and I don't claim to understand completely what effect that would have.

I heard a couple years ago from some of the Great Divide Racers that tums (which of course you can find at most any convenience store) also work to reduce effects of lactic acid. Tums are pretty much calcium with a little sugar and flavoring to make them taste OK.

I keep them in a little container and pop 2 or 3 every time I think about it when I'm on a long ride. I got home from snowshoeing yesterday and my legs were burning and I ate three before I made dinner.

GI issues are in no way involved in my usage of them. Purely as a cheap replacement for sportlegs.

(btw, if you buy Tums check the label. Some of them use artificial sweetner rather than sugar. Since I'm convinced that satan created aspartame to destroy our livers I always avoid that. And a little extra sugar never hurt an endurance rider)
    Last edited by TomP; 03-05-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Tom; thanks very much for your informative explanation in that matter. Very interesting to hear. I will have to look into that aspect of (in my case) pain control LOL !
    Thanks again.

mtbr member

Back to the OP...

I'm still experimenting, but just used SDM for the first time yesterday.

I'd used Gatoraid (waaaaay too sweet) in the past and have recently been using HEED. The Hammer stuff is great in cooler weather and for moderate length rides, but I find I have a harder time drinking enough when it goes over 4 hours (or when it's hot). I started doing 1/2 HEED and 1/2 tablet of Fizz to up the electrolytes and make it easier to drink. Unlike Nuun, which is uber carbonated, Fizz is only mildly carbonated. It works well for me off the bike, but I still don't like the fizzies on the bike.

SDM was everything I read about - it was very light and easy to drink, it's more salty, I ate way more other food than normal (since there were fewer calories in the fluid), 500 ml IS an odd serving size, and it's not cheap. I do think I drank more as a result of the lightness, and I might have actually been able to eat more calories (however it meant I had to keep busy eating stuff more often). One thing I do like is that the main ingredient is basically freeze dried fruit juice. That is, it's closer to actual food. Like Tom I'd like to get away from the robot food if I can. Mostly because, well, I'm not a robot. I make concessions for when I act like a pedaling automaton on endurance races/rides. I only used SDM for a two hour ride so time will tell if it works for the really long stuff and if it works better in different weather (i.e. hot DK200 weather).

I have a 105 mile ride planned for Sunday and I'll see if I can score some to try there. I just made Allen's rice bars last night and I'll be trying them too. I was a skeptic about bacon and eggs in a rice bar, but damn those are good! Eating them on the bike may be a wee bit tricky though...
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

Just ride.
    May 2011
    Curious to know how it goes. I just ordered the cookbook and am anxious to try their food on the bike. Look forward to hearing how the eating and drinking goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I bought the secret mix after reading this thread. I tried it for the last few days and I am sold. I have zero effects from it and the drink seems to do the job. Without rambling, i don't have the after taste that I get with Heed. It's almost refreshing as you feel you are drinking a real, yet mild lemon/lime (the flavor I have). Apparently this mix absorbs in to the body much easier per an email exchange I had with Scratch Labs and I would agree. This was tested on 1.5 hours of interval hill climbs on dirt as well as long hard road interval work out. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

I also bought the cook book and I'll begin playing with recipes over the next 4 days.

Just ride.
    May 2011
    Any more reports on this stuff? I've still been using Gu Brew, was waiting to hear back from others on this one

mtbr member
    I have a few centuries and a 150 under my belt using this stuff and I'm not giving it up. It works fr better than anything else I've tried. I did a bit more thorough write up on the blog:
    Gravel Quest: Testing: Secret Drink Mix and Allen's Rice Bars
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I second the above comment. I am not going back to the multitute of other products I was trying in order to get to this drink mix. It may be a little pricer but worth it to me. I also bought the cook book and have been using the rice cakes for over a month now. From long road to endurance mountain biking events, the drink and food is solid. Good luck and give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

SDM User

I have tried both the orange and lemon/lime flavors and can report I have had no GI issues with it. I have used it on 4 and 6 hr rides. Nice light flavor that leaves no aftertaste. It seems to work pretty good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Tastes good but I like Heed for the lactic acid buffering effect. If you do not struggle with lactic then go for it. I am going to buy some Tums now...

Carnivore
    I have not given it a serious try in a really long event but I am happy with the fact that it hasn't caused GI issues. I'll be using it in the Whiskey Off Road 50 this weekend.

djrez4
    1:1 ratio of chocolate whey isolate to rice solids w/ electrolytes from proteinfactory.com with 1/2 tsp of LoSalt (sodium chloride/potassium chloride mix). Keeps me going as long as necessary, up to 8 hours so far.

Just ride.
    May 2011
    Have you guys used in bottles, or in camelbak, etc? I just ordered my first batch to try next weekend.

This past weekend had GU Brew in bottles and water in my pack, but was thinking i wanted something more then plain water. Just ordered a new camelbak as well and don't want to infuse the reservoir with any extra flavors yet..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Novice View Post
    Tastes good but I like Heed for the lactic acid buffering effect. If you do not struggle with lactic then go for it. I am going to buy some Tums now...
    I am concerned about this as well. I am making the switch from HEED over to Skratch SDM.

Does anyone have a supplement for lactic acid buffering they use in conjunction with Secret Drink Mix?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

SDM is the real deal

This is reposted from my blog at chasing120.com. I will be adding to this over time, so keep an eye out there for updates in the coming months.

I read about Skratch Labs Secret Drink Mix in a magazine. Everything about it made sense to me, and while it was expensive, it warranted an honest evaluation. I needed to try this stuff.

Since 2005, when I began running and riding with any kind of regularity, my biggest enemy has been proper fueling. I've rotated through many different products and have never really figured anything out. What I know for certain is that there are few products I'm able to stick with for any length of time. I get worn out on the taste, to the point where I don't want to eat or drink. Which begins a cycle of not eating and drinking enough, which leads to doing shitty and bonking. I go through this for a season or so, then I migrate to some other product. Rinse, repeat.

I bought the SDM single-serving assorted 20-pack. This was a good way to try the different flavors without committing to a huge bag of pricey mix that I may not like.

I took SDM on a two hour technical single speed mountain bike ride, and was very confused...this kind of riding is pretty demanding fuel-wise, and halfway through I felt GOOD. I could sip on SDM and supplement with gels, and there was no cloying flavor conflict at all. I was working my butt off at times, but never had that feeling that the bottom was going to drop out and I would fall off a cliff into the bonky abyss.

I then took it on one of my 5am before-work rides; about 27 miles and just over an hour and a half of effort. Fueling really early is challenging. It's tough to find what works for you when you're rolling out of bed and getting right on the bike. I drank SDM on that ride and felt pretty good, right up until I sabotaged myself by eating too much gel. Stomach got kind of sloshy. The thing is, SDM is so light tasting, you have to trust that it's getting you what you need. It works, and it doesn't punch you in the face to make sure you know.

Then, another 5am ride; the same route as before. Only this time, something different. I fueled with Cytomax instead, which was something I started using last summer and seemed to do very well with. After an hour, my stomach was in a knot and I felt like throwing up. I couldn't believe it. I had NEVER had a problem with this stuff before; in fact, it had been very good to me. But much like when your body switches over to healthy eating after a lifetime of ingesting crap, the engine room tends to protest when you try to go back. Rolling into the driveway before 7am, I definitely wasn't feeling that good, the way I did the time before with SDM.

It all seems so basic - textbook healthy eating. Why should on-bike nutrition not work the same way, and why should we live our lives aspiring to some standard of clean eating when we jump on the bike and guzzle down highly processed sports nutrition. I think Allen Lim has cracked the door on this huge contradiction.

I have been a sponsored evangelist for nuun for several seasons, and I'm bowing out now. By comparison, it is a nutritionally inferior product and I can no longer support it, knowing that SDM is the right path.

SDM is not the cheapest stuff out there, so use discount code "plum" at checkout on SkratchLabs.com and save yourself 15%. It's not much, but it will at least take the edge off. Skratch is a very new, small, and lean operation, so the stuff isn't going to be cut-rate cheap with deep discounts to be found.

There's no doubt - other products cost less, but like food in general, eating as cheap as possible is likely not your best play nutritionally. Make the investment in clean fuel. It's one of the best upgrades you can make.

-cp

mtbr member
    If you add 30-40g of maltodextrin to your NUUN you have a very cheap alternative
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cheap is about all that solution is. Nuun is full of preservatives, artificial sweetener, and highly processed additives. These are not things the human body was designed to ingest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you have basic knowledge of chemistry and can work a spreadsheet, it's pretty easy to reverse engineer the SDM just using the label and save a boatload of cash if you're going to use it regularly. Just don't screw up any of the equations or you could end up with a potentially-fatal amount of potassium.

Probably not worth the trouble for most, fun though.

XCdude

Coconut water is were is at, I drink a couple

a day or so before the race or a long training ride and one after. I know is a liitle bland, so I add manuka honey a teaspoon.

mtbr member
    I've been trying the Skratch labs SDM this week and have had good results. Even eating a tiny Cliff bar and chugging half a bottle of SDM before long downhill was not upsetting to my stomach. The SDM also doesn't tend to sugar up your mouth and require a water chaser when used with other energy products. I've been eating Honey Stinger gels and Cliff bar minis with the SDM and this combination with Cyto, or Heed, or Gatorade has always left me with a gut ache. I know not to mix too many energy products at once, but sometime during races I don't have the luxury to choose when I eat what due to trail comditions or course layouts. I figured I would try to overload my system during training rides, I've been able to do it before with other drink mixes, but not SDM. The SDM is tops for me. Thanks Lim

What day are we riding?
    I am going to give it a try. It will require some adjusting in the nutrition plan as it looks like it doesn't have any protein - been a big fan of my Accelerade/SportsLegs combo.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I'm a big fan of SDM. Been using it about a year now and it's gotten me through more than a few long days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had a chance to put it to the test in a race a few weeks back. The whole writeup is on my blog, but the short of it is that I could go about 2 hours at race pace on SDM alone before bonking. It was a very hot day, and there wasn't a hint of salt on my face at the end. That has never, ever happened before. My sweat is typically very salty, even for the shortest of efforts in the heat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i had a chance to try it for the first time yesterday with it being my second bottle of a 3.5 hour ride. I had the orange and it is a very mild taste and was surprisingly still refreshing even though warm. As noted by others there is not a sugary taste to it at all. So far so good for me but we will see what happens at the Lumberjack 100 but I will hedge my bet by alternating on bottle of SDM to one bottle of water.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well some of you are talking about the money,well as for cost look at it this way, I did not try this stuff, I went with the Carborocket 333 but I did not get it (I steel wating) my race was last weekend (the Race to Sunset in ND) a 10hr solo. I had got some Hammer stuff again so I would have something in case the 333 did not show up, so again I got sick on Hammer :{..

Cost?
    Race a little over 500 miles away gas? (I drive a Dodge mini van) $200.00 worth of gas maybe?
    Camping at KOA. $80.00
    $ 35.00 entry fee
    Eating out cost?
    The money wasted on the Hammer stuff $60.00
    $150.00 worth of stuff I'm forgeting about
    I payed! over $500.00 to go out and bonk on lap 3 and get sick!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hopefully this doesn't upset anyone for an old thread resurrection.

Been trying Skratch for a week or so and comparing it to my usual Ultima Replenisher.

Ultima takes two little scoops for about 22 oz.
    Skratch takes 5 of the same little scoops.

Ultima is considerably more sweet in comparison. I've never had GI issues with Ultima and it was my "secret" liquid. Friends took a sip of my Skratch and thought it was too sweet. Odd. Then again they find anything other than water too sweet.

Buying Skratch online with a 15% off coupon and free shipping helps the cost, but Ultima is about $24 for 90 servings. Skratch is about $16 for 20 servings.

Maybe I need to go on longer or harder rides or in higher temps, or just give it more time, but I don't see any "whoa, this is much better" findings compared to Ultima in my body.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    On liquid nutrition:

- If a rider has eaten sufficiently (correctly) leading up to a ride or race, they should typically be holding approx 90mins of available fuel in their system (glycogen) and should typically be able to ride/race on water with nothing in it. Secret mixes not required.

- A liquid fuel (or fuel of any kind) isn't really necessary for any ride/race of an hour or less. Secret mixes not required.

- If the ride or race goes longer than 90mins the rider can typically get by on quite a few different fuelling products as long as the ride/race pace doesn't exceed the riders fuelling uptake ability and the caloric load and protein dose isn't too high on a per hour basis.

- Most gastro issues occur due to (too) high protein fuel levels or (too) high caloric fuel levels.

A 1hr or 2hr ride/race is barely a blip on the radar as compared to the endurance racing nutrition puzzle. All things nutrition start to get complicated at the 6-8hr mark... and even more complicated at the 16hr mark.

I'm not posting in here to beat down on Skratch Labs products. It's good to hear the product is working for folks out there. I guess the reason for my post is to get this point across:

"Focus more on the science of what works for you, rather than focusing on a magic product."

I know great ultra-endurance racers that fuel in-race on all kinds of things that I wouldn't touch but it works for them and they've come to that solution through a lot of trial and error. The key being trial and error. Some of the things I stated a few paragraphs ago seem to be poo-pooing liquid nutrition but that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm a firm believer in liquid nutrition, pre-race/in-race/post-race and for all kinds of reasons.

So I don't get bombarded with 'what do you know dude...', here's some quick facts:

- I've done twenty 24hr Solo races on liquid nutrition.

- I've lost count of how many other races I've done on liquid nutrition, and my simple brain can't account for how many trg hours have been spent on liquid nutrition.

- During a 48hr Solo mtb race I spent the first 32hrs on nothing but liquid nutrition, then my two young boys insisted I eat some of their peanuts and pretzels, then I went back on liquid nutrition.

- I've coached loads of racers through countless endurance races on liquid nutrition.

- I'm not new to liquid nutrition.

I'm a fan of liquid nutrition. But I'm a bigger fan of approaching liquid nutrition smartly - identifying the reason for it's use, using a trial and error system best designed for the reason of use, replication of event pacing and hours (on the fuel) prior to an event, etc, etc, etc.

Liquid nutrition is great but it's not a magical solution. It won't immediately solve all your problems and it may create some new ones if you race long and hard enough on it. Don't be afraid to ask the manufacturer some questions if you are having problems.

Again, I'm not beating up on Skratch Labs, I've never tried the product and I don't know anyone who races on it so these comments aren't directed at their product. These comments are generally directed at new liquid nutrition users.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have been using it and find I do better with it. Why? I don't get lack-of-electrolyte headaches. I have also found I can drink MORE without stomach problems - stuff seems to absorb more quickly. I got through a hot 100 miler using this plus 2 bites of PB. Is the stuff ideal? No. But it works for ME.
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It is too bad we can't do chocolate milk because that crap is good after a ride. A guy can probably mix up some salt, brown sugar, water, and orange juice and have a great drink. It isn't rocket science as long as you can tolerate it. That Heed makes me sick.

Wannabe Endurance Racer
    I have been using SDM for the past two months while training for Leadville. Lots of intervals sessions and 2-3 hour rides with a lot of intensity. I used PowerBar mix the last three Leadvilles but suffered leg cramps in each race and had to have a steady supply of S-Caps to go with the PowerBar liquid.

I recently did a 140 mile ride from my house in DC to the Eastern shore in 98 degree heat and used SDM and Honey Stinger Waffles for the entire 9:30 ride. My legs never felt an inkling of a cramp and I feel that SDM is a great buffer for lactic acid build-up. I never grew weary of the SDM taste (I used pineapple for the 140 miler but have also tried and loved lemons and limes and raspberry) which is a departure from my disdain of PowerBar's too sweet taste after four or five hours of consumption.

I am sold on SDM as an electrolyte supplement. Between it's 80 calories per 16 ounces and a waffle or two an hour or a Bonk Breaker Bar, I will have my 280-300 calories I need for steady energy and, hopefully, solid legs for Leadville which is a hell of a lot simpler than my nutrition plan in past years.
    "The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi

mtbr member
    Just gave Skratch Labs a try during a 6 hour MTB race this weekend. I also ate Stinger waffles and gells. I felt great right to the end of the race. I find the taste of the Skratch Labs Lemons and Limes to be very subtle and palatable after hours of riding and drinking. I can't say the same for Cytomax which I tried the previous race and felt horrible at the end. Cytomax was too sweet and thick tasting. It felt heavy in my stomach and I had to force myself to drink. With the Skratch, the drink felt as good as water going down.

I also really like the Stinger waffles. They're easy to eat on the go and taste good. Some of the other bars are too dry and hard to eat in the heat of battle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Drink for hydration - eat for fuel.

The biggest value I find in Skratch is it helps you absorb quickly your liquid intake. I've read that products with maltodextrin actually slow down absorption. This is why I switched from Heed to Skratch.

Depending on what and how I am riding, I eat gels or Cliff for carb (fuel).
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO (Tang, XTR groupo)
    2011 Giant Reign 2 (XT groupo)

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor View Post
    On liquid nutrition:....
    Great comments staylor! And you clearly speak from experience that many of us wish we had.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Has anybody experienced stomach cramps post ride? Decided to compare Skratch to Tailwind. My personal preference is Tailwind but I can't explain the post ride cramping I experienced after trying SDM. Not blaming SDM but I had never had that issue before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Love this stuff

I had tried various products for two years of 6-hr racing and nothing was working for me, then I tried the SDM last year and it has been awesome! No more sick gut from all the chemicals and suger and no more bad taste when it gets warm! Plus, I can stop 'trying to find and answer' by buying another product every few months.

This stuff is clean to taste and clean in my system and I counldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

15% off code, good until Thursday 11/9/2012 at midnight

For anyone still reading this thread between now and 11/9/2012, we have a new discount code available. 15% off product at SkratchLabs.com, and the value of all discounts is donated back to the Krempels Center (krempelscenter.org). Krempels is a non-profit committed to helping those who have suffered traumatic brain injury (TBI).

The code is "KrempelsKing2", born from a code we recently issued for the Krempels King of the Road Challenge (kingchallenge.org). Have at it! And next year, come out and ride with us.

Members who have read this thread: 0