Gunnison Growler 2018 - Questions- Mtbr.com
    swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009

... and if we just ... Gunnison Growler 2018 - Questions

For those who have experienced this race on a Singlespeed: What gear ratio did you run, did you complete the 32 mile or 64 mile race, and what was your time, and age group? Can I expect to find a place in Gunny to car camp?

No worries you do not have to fret over sharing your hard earned knowledge... I will not be near the podium after the race!
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Didn't do this SS but there are a LOT of places to car camp from up at Hartman Rocks to downtown (I'm downtown typically as I like real espresso in the morning.

It's a pretty punchy course but lotsa fun (at least on the first lap)

mtbr member
    You will love that first hill on the SS. At least you only get that one once.
    Iíve only done geared both on the 64 mile. Tough race but fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    I made the same thread for the 2017 race. This year ill actually be able to make it now that i moved to Tucson. The consensus is that its a SS friendly course.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    As a disclaimer, 2018 will be the first year that I am doing the full Growler as a race. However, for the last five years I have spent several weeks per summer in Gunnison and Crested Butte and have ridden the course dozens of times.
    I ride a rigid 29er, 32x19, with 2.4" Ardents.
    The only "not" singlespeed friendly portion of the course is the ride in from/to town. I'm dreading that aspect of it.
    Hartman Rocks is my favorite place to mtb. Hands down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Done it SS a few times. 32/20. 29. Rough towards the end for sure. Death from a hundred thousand pin pricks. Would do it again. The roll out of town sucks tho. 20-25mph...

Nov 2015
    I made this thread last year. See you there this year! http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=1034304

Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Won the full SS open in 2016 (5:38) and was 10th or 11th overall on a 32/19, doing the course CCW. Two spots I couldn't clean.....one was ~15 miles in coming up out of the stream....but nobody cleaned that whole thing, there's like a 2 foot step up/scramble in the middle of it. There's some other steep parts there that I walked, but minimal time lost. The other spot was that jeep road after the pavement ~25 miles in, got the first half and speed hiked the rest. I didn't lose any time to the geared riders I was next to though, it's so steep that there's basically no advantage to pedaling a granny gear up it. Looks like it'll be run clockwise in 2018 though, so the above is irrelevant.....I bet it's all rideable in that direction regardless of gearing.

Broke wrist last year and unfortunately couldn't compete.

Open dispersed and free camping up on hartman rocks, either in car or tenting. Seems like a lot of people go to that KOA campground instead though.

I'll probably run 32/18 this year.

You will love that first hill on the SS. At least you only get that one once.
    I actually think for singlespeeding the "neutral start" is way more difficult than the hartman rocks climb. They say neutral, but the cop car's doing 22-25mph, and all the geared guys are cruising along in their little cogs drafting while lightly breathing and carrying conversations. As a singlespeeder you have to spin 130rpm and coast, 130rpm and coast over and over and over again just to stay near the front of the pack. By the bottom of the hill my legs were already pretty smoked, but then you gotta do what you gotta do and go full red zone up the hill to get a good place before the singletrack starts.

Other than that it's all about being able to do repeated 200-400 foot vertical foot climbs, recovering in the descent, then doing it again over and over and over. Good SS course, and incredible riding overall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    Won the full SS open in 2016 (5:38) and was 10th or 11th overall on a 32/19, doing the course CCW. Two spots I couldn't clean.....one was ~15 miles in coming up out of the stream....but nobody cleaned that whole thing, there's like a 2 foot step up/scramble in the middle of it. There's some other steep parts there that I walked, but minimal time lost. The other spot was that jeep road after the pavement ~25 miles in, got the first half and speed hiked the rest. I didn't lose any time to the geared riders I was next to though, it's so steep that there's basically no advantage to pedaling a granny gear up it. Looks like it'll be run clockwise in 2018 though, so the above is irrelevant.....I bet it's all rideable in that direction regardless of gearing.

Open dispersed and free camping up on hartman rocks, either in car or tenting. Seems like a lot of people go to that KOA campground instead though.

I actually think for singlespeeding the "neutral start" is way more difficult than the hartman rocks climb. They say neutral, but the cop car's doing 22-25mph, and all the geared guys are cruising along in their little cogs drafting while lightly breathing and carrying conversations. As a singlespeeder you have to spin 130rpm and coast, 130rpm and coast over and over and over again just to stay near the front of the pack. By the bottom of the hill my legs were already pretty smoked, but then you gotta do what you gotta do and go full red zone up the hill to get a good place before the singletrack starts.

Other than that it's all about being able to do repeated 200-400 foot vertical foot climbs, recovering in the descent, then doing it again over and over and over. Good SS course, and incredible riding overall.
    I honestly am having nightmares about that ride in from town on the SS.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post

This sounds like heaven for me. Thanks for the breakdown.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for all the excellent help. I "think" I'll run 30-19,
    Last edited by fat-but-slow; 12-23-2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Too long- irrelevant.

Hairshirt Rider
    2012 was the last time I raced the full. 6:30 and some change for the full. 32x20

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I raced the full back in 2015 with 34x19, second place in 5:59. The "neutral" start wasn't too bad if you can tuck yourself in the peloton near the front, if I recall, coasting at 25ish mph was doable without a ridiculous cadence. The biggest thing to watch out for is the weather, it rained the night before and was in the upper 20s at the start.

HIYAH
    This is one race that I just don't think I would race SS. The ride out of town will suck. First climb will suck, the fast dirt road sections will suck, the climb at the start of the second lap...thats a doozy.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT