Grizzly- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Grizzly

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    742

    Grizzly

    Anyone doing the grizzly September 29th in Big Bear Lake?

  2. #2
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Anyone doing the grizzly September 29th in Big Bear Lake?
    Because I hate myself.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    742
    lol i signed up for the 100 and I'm gonna die but I heard it was going to be fun

  4. #4
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    lol i signed up for the 100 and I'm gonna die but I heard it was going to be fun
    It is fun. The hardest part was getting stuck behind the dirt roadies going down 7 Oaks. I tried to take a conservative pace up from the starting line and got hung up on the descent and again behind a bunch of people on SART starting at Southfork. I was literally yelling from the back of the pack for people to get the hell out of the way! So I am going to go out hard at the start to try and avoid some of that. I like to flow SART to save energy, can't do that when people are braking for every damn corner!

    Second hard part was after Radford. You burn a lot of energy going down Skyline and there was no water for a long time and I ran out. I think the last aid station at the bottom of Radford was the last one until you climb back up the fireroad after Skyline. I'll have more water on me for that part.

    Last hard part was the singletrack near the end. A lot of work, you're tired, and then you have to climb ST when you have used up most of what you've got.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    742
    Good strategy. I'm not in shape to be competitive but I definitely don't wanna get hung up on the descents. That's my strong point. I'm gonna keep my calm and pass people on the safe parts. I just wanna complete it with no injuries while having fun. Wooooo

  6. #6
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Good strategy. I'm not in shape to be competitive but I definitely don't wanna get hung up on the descents. That's my strong point. I'm gonna keep my calm and pass people on the safe parts. I just wanna complete it with no injuries while having fun. Wooooo
    I'm not going to beat Tinker...

    Or Chad (if he races). Or Stefano...

    My goal is to compete with the 40 year olds...so I need to shave off 40 minutes! Ouch!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    742
    What's tinker's (and any mtb xc/endurance pro) secret? How the hell is he still beating a lot of 20 years olds? Surely it can't only be based on experience. Is it solely based off fitness? Mind over matter? Is he just psychologically able to tolerate pain better? Does he build up less lactic acid than most? Something physiological? How do these pros have such a low heart rate? Is it a combination of everything?

    I see tinker's strava and he's always doing road rides, so how the hell is he so fit on a mtb? He is probably riding behind our backs and hitting the gym which I don't doubt.

    40 minutes!?! Josh, if you're serious about keeping up with the rest of the 40 year olds, in a perfect world, what would be your strategy?

    I'm posting this while drinking a double IPA. I'm curious and fascinated by people who have an ultra high level of fitness. Going to sleep soon. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

  8. #8
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    What's tinker's (and any mtb xc/endurance pro) secret? How the hell is he still beating a lot of 20 years olds? Surely it can't only be based on experience. Is it solely based off fitness? Mind over matter? Is he just psychologically able to tolerate pain better? Does he build up less lactic acid than most? Something physiological? How do these pros have such a low heart rate? Is it a combination of everything?
    I'm sure it is a factor of things. For one, genetics. He is still able to recover fast in order to keep a high level of fitness. Something that most people lose. He also has a VERY low BF percentage, which is probably not just through diet (though I am sure he is very strict about his diet). Mind over matter does make a difference. It has been proven over and over that our bodies are more capable than our brains. Some people through training or through natural gift can break through those mental barriers and use a higher percentage of our bodies ability. Look at Chrissy Wellington or Julie Moss in triathlon.

    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    I see tinker's strava and he's always doing road rides, so how the hell is he so fit on a mtb? He is probably riding behind our backs and hitting the gym which I don't doubt.
    Well, when you have been riding off road for 40 years...skills work probably isn't a big deal anymore. Most of my riding is on the road, but I'm still better skills wise compared to my rivals.

    I bet he hits the gym too.

    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    40 minutes!?! Josh, if you're serious about keeping up with the rest of the 40 year olds, in a perfect world, what would be your strategy?
    I think I can easily shave 20 minutes with course knowledge (this is my second year), maybe another 10 with fitness (I'm running out of room to improve).

    My strategy is what I have been doing

    I am hiring a coach here in a week to help me with next season though.

    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    I'm posting this while drinking a double IPA. I'm curious and fascinated by people who have an ultra high level of fitness. Going to sleep soon. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    742
    Awesome Josh. Keep me filled in cause I'm interested man! Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. I'll see you at the grizzly start line.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    27
    Tinker might be doing alot of road riding, but he has 5250 miles so far this year with roughly 385433 ft of climbing. That would do alot for ones fitness and leg strength.

  11. #11
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Awesome Josh. Keep me filled in cause I'm interested man! Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. I'll see you at the grizzly start line.
    If Chad is there, we will see him at the finish before we start

    Quote Originally Posted by Mbcow View Post
    Tinker might be doing alot of road riding, but he has 5250 miles so far this year with roughly 385433 ft of climbing. That would do alot for ones fitness and leg strength.
    That shows either how much base he has...or how much he is hiding from us. That is very little work for a guy of his talents.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    51
    I did Radford/Skyline/7 Oaks and part of SART this weekend to see if I wanted to enter but I think the full race is a bit much for me. Radford is killer on upper exposed sections with sun beating down and sections of softball sized rocks. 7 Oaks descent is really loose in places, dirt roadies are definitely going to be slow there. SART and Skyline seem to be in pretty good shape and should be a lot of fun. Good luck to those who ride!

  13. #13
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by yagr68 View Post
    I did Radford/Skyline/7 Oaks and part of SART this weekend to see if I wanted to enter but I think the full race is a bit much for me. Radford is killer on upper exposed sections with sun beating down and sections of softball sized rocks. 7 Oaks descent is really loose in places, dirt roadies are definitely going to be slow there. SART and Skyline seem to be in pretty good shape and should be a lot of fun. Good luck to those who ride!
    There are shorter versions with I think a 25, 50, and 75k option.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    124
    Debating a possible 100k Fondo ride. I did Radford-Skyline-7 Oaks-SART (south fork to Glass Rd) for 27 mi/4200 one day. Took about 5 hrs at a casual pace. Had energy for more, but according to numbers, the whole 100k fondo is about 2x this ride! Is double this 4200 ride a good estimate for the effort of a whole 100k? Is there a cutoff or sweep worry if I think it would take 10hrs?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    What's tinker's (and any mtb xc/endurance pro) secret?
    Because he rides a lefty. Shhhh...
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

  16. #16
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    Debating a possible 100k Fondo ride. I did Radford-Skyline-7 Oaks-SART (south fork to Glass Rd) for 27 mi/4200 one day. Took about 5 hrs at a casual pace. Had energy for more, but according to numbers, the whole 100k fondo is about 2x this ride! Is double this 4200 ride a good estimate for the effort of a whole 100k? Is there a cutoff or sweep worry if I think it would take 10hrs?
    The last GF finisher last year was 9.5 hours, I am guessing that is near the cutoff. I think you can make it. You'll also have aid stations which will, I think, make you faster since you can carry less.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Because he rides a lefty. Shhhh...
    What is my excuse then?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    124
    Thanks, I wish I were as confident I could make it! I do think I did the harder half since it included Radford, but I also did Radford right at start of ride. Im also imagining Skyline, with its punchy character, is tough on dead legs.

  18. #18
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    Thanks, I wish I were as confident I could make it! I do think I did the harder half since it included Radford, but I also did Radford right at start of ride. Im also imagining Skyline, with its punchy character, is tough on dead legs.
    Radford is more about pacing yourself, in my opinion. There is a lot of work to do after that, so going hard up that climb while a great opportunity to put the hurt on your competitors isn't going to help you physically if just finishing is your goal. So taking your time getting up is a good idea. Skyline has all the work with all the punchy stuff you mentioned, but most of it is fun at least so you can put the pain behind you and just enjoy the ride.

    And honestly, if you can get to Skyline, you are good to go. After that, even if you miss the cutoff, you still succeeded.

    And you never know what you are capable of until you test yourself

  19. #19
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,606
    How'd it go?

    Really happy with my race. Could have done a little better, but not much.

Similar Threads

  1. 1984 Bianchi Grizzly?
    By Muddydogs in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 10:31 AM
  2. Bianchi Super Grizzly 1988
    By Major in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 02:39 AM
  3. 1988 ? Bianchi grizzly
    By Bianchi_Oetzi in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 12:52 PM
  4. EBMUD on Grizzly Peak Blvd
    By Buzz Cut in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 10:54 PM

Members who have read this thread: 28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.