Is this a good strategy for a 12hours race?Please help me!- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Is this a good strategy for a 12hours race?Please help me!

Hi.

IŽll be maybe riding with a partner in about a month and a half a 12 hours race, starting at 12:00am.
    The detail is that IŽm not trained for riding more than 5 or 6 hours at a "good pace", I can make 3 hours very well an then need to rest. But my friend can handle too much time on the saddle but at a slower pace (obviusly). We are planning to do the follow:
    At the beginning IŽll be riding like a normal race for 3 hours, then will he come and ride 6 hours non-stop, at the end IŽll be finishing with the last 3 hours.

Is this a good plan? Anyone else have doing this?

Thanks a lot!
    bye

Jan 2004

2 hours

It gets really monotonous after a few hours of solid riding. I like to break it up, 2 laps each or two hours then switch. This gives you a nice break every couple of hours to rest and eat to keep the energy level high. This is what works for me. good luck and have fun.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by francisco
    Hi.
    Is this a good plan? Anyone else have doing this?
    bye
    How long are the laps? Unless the laps are really short (<40 minutes), you should probably switch as frequently as possible (every lap). This would enable you and your partner to push the pace each lap and recover in between. If you can't handle that frequency of laps, move to double laps sometime during the race.

baker

Out There
    Jan 2004
    Agree with Baker. I'd switch riders more frequently.

So many variables can go wrong in a long race, especially at night (flats, lights, other mechanicals, falls, dehydration, nuitrition). To maximize the odds of keeping it mostly together, it works best for me to keep each rider on the course as little as possible, preferably less than an hour (maybe up to 2 hours) and then switch.

So, if the laps are much over an hour, I'd stick with riding single laps. Especially at night.

If the laps are about an hour or less apiece, I'd start with riding single laps (even as a duo), but would consider switching to two laps, depending on our team and the conditions. I would not ride three consecutive laps, unless really backed up against the wall.

Switching every lap does require discipline to get yourself ready to out again. But the race becomes more of a team effort, with more interaction between teammates. And if something goes wrong on a lap, the next rider should be ready (and not just laying down for an expected 3-6 hour rest).

Oli

Jan 2004
    I think one or two laps each is the best tactic.
    I won two 12th race last year and we switched each lap (20min/lap). but some of our opponents (friends with about the same training) tryed to ride 3h/3h/3h/3h... and they were really dead after the first relay! they were first during the first 6hours but they finished 4th...

(sorry for my bad english... I'm a little frenchie)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd switch as much as possible. We lost a 24-hour race cuz we decided to do 2 laps each at night. This cost us about 5 minutes a lap as you tend to slow down a tad when you know you're riding twice as long. This allowed the other team to catch and pass us during the night before we even realized it.

Talked to them later about it and they said THEY lost a race before because they didn't change riders often enough.

Jabberwocky Jockey
    You definitely want to switch riders more frequently (unless the course is ridiculously short). This way everyone is more fresh for each lap and your body's ability to recover after each lap is better than doing 2or 3 laps and then resting.

I've done five 24's and two 12's and have found that it's much better this way.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

THANKS for all the imput!

IŽll try the two laps per person strategy.
    Thanks!

Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=francisco]Hi.Is this a good plan? Anyone else have doing this?

I would suggest you check out results of past races. The Wisconsin Endurance Series race had a lot of the results posted with individuals lap times. It gave a great deal of information on how the duos strategized. YOu can look at others past performances and make decisions that way on what is a good one for you. I hope they still have them posted..They already have the new series posted for this summer! yay!
    I got to know a nice couple that did the whole series of the 12 hour races. They had a basic strategy to win. By the end of the series they had a pretty good system where they would each go out for a few hours and switch off while the other fully rested.
    I did the 6 hour event solo so I didnt have to stop..... but I have done these types of races before where you switch off. YOur legs just get coughed up with Lactic acid and it seems harder to take more frequent breaks. I would not switch off each lap. You get a longer rest when the other person goes longer. just EAT. Rest. Then start the massages and drink lots of fluids..you know the routine. ....
    GET yourself a leg massager like those 'sticks' you see advertised on runner stores. And get a TRAINER you can bring with you and have it set up so you can throw your bike, knobbies and all, on it to warm up those legs.!
    These races are so fun. I really prefer them sometimes over the more intense and more crowded state series. THey just dont seem to attract a lot of folks right now but maybe that will change in the future!.

Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Switch often

Switch every lap. If you do multi-laps, the second lap will probably be slower. Also, if ONE of you has a mechanical during your 1st lap of 2 and has to limp your bike back to the transition area, it won't cause a panic when you tell your partner they've got to go OUT since your bike needs a new derailleur cable. With 1 laps, your partner is ALREADY prepared to go out! (I learned).

Members who have read this thread: 0