Giant anthem vs Titus Motolite - Xc/enduro riding- Mtbr.com

Poll: Keep, sell or wait ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Giant anthem vs Titus Motolite - Xc/enduro riding

Hi!

As some of you may know, I have a Titus motolite and I love the bike. I ride the trails out east, near Quebec (Mont St Anne, etc.), thus lots of rocks, roots, wet, slippery conditions. I want to get back into endurance racing (1 day to 3 days xc riding), and used to do so on a hardtail. I did the Raid Pierre Harvey in 2001 (300 km in 3 days, painfull as hell but so rewarding!) and I would like to do similar races. My kind of xc riding is having fun, train, I like going fast uphill if I can manage it and I am not scared going downhill. So, I'm torn:

Should I keep the motolite and change the wheels and other components to make it lighter ie to my liking (yet that will involve some serious $$$) (My motolite is the 2006 generation, so more of xc geometry angles) OR

Should I sell the motolite (snif snif) and get a Giant anthem XO (4 inches of travel) ?

I wonder if it is worth it and the feeling difference? I'm gessing that with the anthem (it's like the older generation of the Trance really), I will get back to my hardtail feeling (I felt that the acceleration on going uphill with the Motolite where less efficient then with my hardtail; yet again this might be because I was less in shape lol lol)

Let me know! Keep, sell or see at the end of season? :P

ps. My motolite weight around 27 lbs, with very good components. If I change the wheels, I may save up to 1 lbs. Next year, I could change the drivetrain and other bits, and get it even lower - maybe. Money might be an issue.
    pss. The giant anthem x0 is supposed to weight around 23-24lbs with stock components.

You down with entropy?
    while I have never ridden an anthem in any form I do have a motolite.

I have heard good reviews on both. I think what it comes down to is what you are comfortable with and what you are out to do.

For me I ride my motolite everywhere. I have used it on xc races, mid length and endurance races. So from 10 to 100 miles. I am primarily out to race myself/have fun and either finish a challenge or improve on the previous years effort. The one huge difference I made was swapping out the cheap/heavy wheelset that I originally had for something lighter. Lighter tires also make a world of difference (currently loving conti race kings). The rest of my build is not super light, but not over the top either. I do have some further changes in mind, but they are on hold and will come up as funds allow. For me it is the one bike I have that will not beat me to death over the course of long races. I really cannot justify another full susser for racing at the moment so I am sticking with what I have.

now if I were hyper competitive and at a higher level it would probably be worth it to get something else. For me that list includes racer x 29er or the new X from Titus. I would also try to test as many other bikes as I could.

mtbr member
    I have a Titus motolite and I love the bike.
    I think you answered your own question. If you like the bike and are having fun on it, don't get rid of it. That would be craziness.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

Paste eater
    the athem will be a little lighter, but besides that your not going to gain much. I'd put you money into lighter parts and then change over to a XC frame down the road.

Members who have read this thread: 1