Food for 12hr rides?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Food for 12hr rides?

I知 getting ready for a 12hr trail race and need some nutrition advice. Last year I completed my first 12hr and this will be my second. My food intake was poor last year. I was stopping every hour or so reaching for sandwiches and anything else I could get my hands on.

One of the faster riders told me that he was on primarily a liquid plan. I知 interested in trying this. Perpetuem was one recommendation. I知 told that this along with basic snacks should do it.

Does anyone have general advice on food that will provide the essentials for such a demanding ride? I need to stay on the saddle as much as possible since the time is constantly ticking away.

Also seriously considering giving Tailwind a try but they are relatively new and I don't know much about the product or the company.

THANKS!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    For years I have used Hammer stuff and never been let down. Some folks seem to have issues with digesting Hammer (people tend ignore directions for use so please read) and results may vary so you should always give nutrition a few dry runs prior to any event.

I start the race with a 4 hr bottle of Perpetuem (7-8 scoops) with 5 endurolyte capsules mixed in as well. I also carry a 5 serving gel flask in my jersey and maybe some more endurolytes just in case. I still use a camelback - 30 or 50 oz depending on if I have support and maybe another bottle on bike.

Every 4 hours I am in the pit to grab an identical 4 hr bottle and gel flask. And that's it. Nutritionally this will enable you to ride for the entire duration if you are fit enough mentally and physically.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like a good plan. I haven't tried perpetuem but other Hammer products have done well for me.

mtbr member
    Absolutely liquid is the way to go. You want to get the maximum calories you can process, usually about 250 per hour, depending on the person, which works much better with liquid than solids. Many people use Hammer and Infinit is another popular brand. It takes some experimenting to get it right as everyone is different.

I have done 10+ hours on liquid only and it worked just fine. Now I usually add some solids for variation when I am not on a high intensity part of the course.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I get all my calories from gels. This is the only way I can ensure that I get my 60 g of carbs per hour. Trying to get my carbs through the bottle is too uncertain for me. Fluid intake depends on too many variables.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Well you dont want to start something new before a big race, but give Tailwind a shot. It works amazingly well for me.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I go with a combination of Heed, Perpetuem, Gatorade (perhaps the most under rated energy drink out there), supplemented by Shot Bloks and the occasional part of a Hammer energy bar (really easy to chew/swallow, but still, only at the top of long descents to allow some digestion while at lower heart rates).

A little over 300 calories per hour works for me, but I weigh 192, so adjust accordingly.

Good luck!
    Whining is not a strategy.