Flat Bar vs Riser Bar? Bar ends? No Bar ends?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Flat Bar vs Riser Bar? Bar ends? No Bar ends?

I'm building up a 2nd enduro bike and trying to decide on the cockpit configuration. Right now I'm running an FSA low rise carbon bar with Ergon grips (no bar ends). Over the past year my climbing style has changed a lot and I do a considerable amount of climbing out of the saddle. I'm a masher and it just suits my style better. As a result I've started thinking if I would benefit from bar ends or not. I've never really used them before, never saw the need for them...and only would worry they'd get caught on a branch and throw me. Also thinking of moving to a flat bar. My current FSA bar is 630mm wide...not flat carbon bars available that width or wider that I can see except for Salsa Pro Moto (which I could cut down) but they say no bar ends can be used on that bar. The widest flat carbon bar I can find is the FSA flat bar is 600mm which is pretty close. A little worried about going narrower because I ride a 29er and it might slow the handling down a little. Still, thinking of going that route with Ergon grips/bar ends. I have the winter to train and get used to the set up but looking to find out what other endurance riders are using as a set up.

Thanks!

starker als alles
    Sep 2007

a little late, but...

Check this guy out- I read his page from time to time and apparently he's very particular about tweaking his cockpit with stem/bar combinations. So, he might have something to say about it if you ask him directly. I know he posts here on MTBR from time to time as well.
    http://teamdicky.blog.com/
    [exsequor]

conjoinicorned
    are you so obsessed with carbon? there are lots of wide, wide flat/risers in aluminum that aren't that heavy...and would go very well with bar-ends. another option (my personal preference) is high sweep bars like mary bars, they offer a similar climbing position to bar-ends and are quite wide (and heavy).

if you are a masher then bar-ends are invaluable, they offer so much better leverage and upper body comfort when standing. the myth of catching them on trees is just that, a myth IMO.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    On a related note, is there a noticeable difference in lower back fatigue when switching from risers to flats? I used to have flats and bar ends when I was a kid, and I remember loving them, but my last two bikes have both been risers and didn't really catch the endurance bug until recently.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I switched out the riser that came on my Epic to a flat bar with barends. Just more comfortable to me and seems more efficient -- I'm an out-of-the-saddle masher too. I find myself constantly shifting my hands around to different spots. I use the Cane Creek barends, FWIW.

Oh and a good pair of gloves with generous gel padding is a must for hand comfort in an endurance race. I'll get a new pair prior to a 24-hour race and they are trashed by the end.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm running the Ergon grips with ends on my 29er singlespeed at the moment, and I absolutely love them. Far and away the best grips I've tried to date. And no, they don't get caught on trees.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    I'm building up a 2nd enduro bike and trying to decide on the cockpit configuration. Right now I'm running an FSA low rise carbon bar with Ergon grips (no bar ends). Over the past year my climbing style has changed a lot and I do a considerable amount of climbing out of the saddle. I'm a masher and it just suits my style better. As a result I've started thinking if I would benefit from bar ends or not.
    I can lend you a set of the Ergon grips with bar ends to try out if you want. I think you'll be sold on them, but it's a fair chunk of cash to shell out just to try eh? I would have a hard time going to a bike without Ergons now ( although I'm going to spend the winter using an OnOne Mary bar just to see what it's like and I don't think the Ergons will work with that ).
    You know how to contact me, we need to get out for a ride again soon anyway.
    Cheers, Dave

Members who have read this thread: 1