mtbr member
    Sep 2010

First time endurance race in the northwest

Hey, I am thinking about entering my first endurance race next summer (2012), and I am wondering what the best endurance race in the Northwest would be for a beginner. I think the perfect one would not have a massive amount of climbing, maybe a 50 miler.

I ride a Titus Racer X, 20 years old, 165 lbs. Never raced endurance before, but am starting to do longer rides, and planning on training pretty hard this winter and spring. Based in Boise, ID

Thanks!
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member
    What are your "longer rides"? How much climbing on these rides? It may be better for you to start by doing a 5-6 hour enduro events. If you look you will probably find one close to your area, and you can get an idea of what endurance cycling is about.

Dialing in nutrition is the most important thing (aside from training of course).
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    test of endurance is a 50 miler, easier than the Fat55, which is easier than High Cascade 100 which is easier than Cream Puff, That about it for your choices in Oregon. I started with the Puff, but didn't complete it until my second year of training.
    THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcanride View Post
    test of endurance is a 50 miler, easier than the Fat55, which is easier than High Cascade 100 which is easier than Cream Puff, That about it for your choices in Oregon. I started with the Puff, but didn't complete it until my second year of training.
    Thanks, the test of endurance was one of the ones i am looking at. Any training plans recommended for a race like that?

I am planning on starting training pretty soon, with 30 plus mile rides once or twice a week to start and then building up slowly to long rides like 50 plus miles

I should be out riding
    I would look at the nwepic series, which last year was a three race series here in WA. The first had 30/60 mile options, and is NW of Seattle, with tight singletrack and damp woods. The next was another 30/60 in June, near Lake Chelan, and was much faster and more open. This was a surprisingly fun course. The finale, and best mtn bike course I've ever ridden, is the capitol forest 50/100. This is in August, when trails on this side of the mtns are prime, and of the 50 miles, probably 42 or so are singletrack. It's one big loop with 5K or so of climbing, the 100 milers do it twice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Lake Chelan 30/60 is the closest to you and I heard great things about it this summer.

Keep in mind that the amount of climbing doesn't always tell the whole story. The Creampuff has 16k+ while the Capitol Forest 100 "only" has about 11k. I personally don't think the Puff is that much more difficult since most of the climbing is on smooth forest roads. Also, more climbing also usually means more time available coasting downhill while recovering.

If you want tough, head up to Butte for the Butte 50, which has nearly 10,000 feet of climbing and tons of great single track riding on the Continental Divide Trail -- but it also has quite a few miles at nearly 8,000 feet of elevation.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by mzinn23 View Post
    Hey, I am thinking about entering my first endurance race next summer (2012), and I am wondering what the best endurance race in the Northwest would be for a beginner. I think the perfect one would not have a massive amount of climbing, maybe a 50 miler.

I ride a Titus Racer X, 20 years old, 165 lbs. Never raced endurance before, but am starting to do longer rides, and planning on training pretty hard this winter and spring. Based in Boise, ID

Thanks!
    I would say sign up for the Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5 endurance race. Held in Avimor, yes right in your own back yard. It is a course loop format makes for easy replenishment of your liquid and dietary needs. You can easily do 50 miles in the 8 hour time span. They do not have next years schedule up yet but here is the web site for future use.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid View Post
    I would say sign up for the Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5 endurance race. Held in Avimor, yes right in your own back yard. It is a course loop format makes for easy replenishment of your liquid and dietary needs. You can easily do 50 miles in the 8 hour time span. They do not have next years schedule up yet but here is the web site for future use.
    ok, thank you very much, i will keep my options open, and that seems like a great option due to the fact i can replenish water, etc for my first race.

mtbr member
    while not an endurance race, the Echo red to red is held in early March outside of Hermiston, OR. Thats about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Boise. I think the long course is 27 miles. Keep an eye out they do not have next years race up yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i think i am going to do the avimor 9 to 5 in boise solo, and then do the jug mountain ranch marathon (42 miles) in mccall, ID in July

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    while not an endurance race, the Echo red to red is held in early March outside of Hermiston, OR. Thats about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Boise. I think the long course is 27 miles. Keep an eye out they do not have next years race up yet.
    No details, but the date is set for March 3 (OBRA Schedule here: 2012 Oregon XC Series presented by Rivercity Bicycles | Mudslinger Events - Oregon Bike Racing).

Only 4 or so hours from Boise, true, but you do have to drive through Ladd Canyon and over Meacham on the way. Winter isn't always over up there at the beginning of March!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    +1 for Echo Red to Red - it's a really fun course and a great season opener. Staging is really important though as it's rather hard to pass once you hit the singletrack.

On the NW Epic series: If you're in Boise non of the races are close to you, but I did Stottlemeyer 60 and Echo Valley 60 last year to prep for the High Cascades 100 - they were complete opposites. Both were four laps of 15 miles, but Stottlemeyer was very technical twisty, rooty, muddy and slow. There was however very little elevation gain. There were a couple of short fast fire road sections, but all in all not my cup-o-tea. Echo Valley was also four 15 mile laps but at least 80% of each lap was fire road. There was only a very tiny portion of singletrack it was not at all technical. Echoo has about 6700 ft elevation gain if you do the 60.

I'm not sure if Marathon Nationals will be in Bend again, but that would be 50 miles and the trails there are hands down my favorite in the PNW. Fast, flowing and only moderately technical, but mostly singletrack. The Coast range stuff and the rides outside Oakridge are more twist rooty muddy and will have more fire roads. They're different so it depends on the type of riding you like.

s
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    No details, but the date is set for March 3 (OBRA Schedule here: 2012 Oregon XC Series presented by Rivercity Bicycles | Mudslinger Events - Oregon Bike Racing).

Only 4 or so hours from Boise, true, but you do have to drive through Ladd Canyon and over Meacham on the way. Winter isn't always over up there at the beginning of March!
    That's for sure. Looking at Red to Red as well as my first ever race on a MTB, depends on if I have a new bike before then or not. Only have to go over Meacham but it's still pretty iffy that time of year.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    As another pretty new endurance racer (only two under my belt) who is moving to Oregon I appreciate this thread.

The Butte 50 is definitely crazy tough. No rest on that course. You can tell how hard it is by looking at the times. Most people are around the 7-8 hour mark. But it is amazing mountain biking and they seemed to have worked out all the kinks from 2010 this past year. I dunno if I could honestly recommend it if you don't have any racing experience at all, but if you've at least done some XC it is great. Also pretty cheap. If my season goes well and I can get the time off I'm going to make the long drive back there next year, maybe for the 100.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I will see you at the races! It will also be my first time racing endurance. Road cycling is also really great to help build your endurance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Another option is the 12 and 6 hours of Capitol Punishment at Capitol Forest, just outside of Olympia. Fun race with a great course. Lap format races are a great intro to endurance racing. You could also form a team for the Round and Round 24hour in Spokane.

12 & 6 Hours of Capitol Punishment
    Round and Round