Favorite sadles- Mtbr.com

Thread: Favorite sadles

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Favorite sadles

I feel like this is a pretty important piece of any endurance bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The one that when you sit down it feels like a kiss on the taint from a chamois angel.

I'm all about Specialized for years but might try Ergon as I ween of the Big S as my LBS no longer sells them.

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    I feel like this is a pretty important piece of any endurance bike.
    What's your favorite beer? The arguments will be about the same :-)
    FWIW my personal choice is WTB Rocket V.

To paraphrase yahsper, the answer is "whichever one fits your ass".

mtbr member
    I switched to a fabric scoop saddle last year, feels great to me. Currently in the process of switching all saddles (road and gravel included) to the scoop.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have enough serious riding friends that when I get a new bike, some one will enthusiastically take that saddle saying it's the best. In return I will take any WTB saddle that others are pretty much ready to burn.

But anyway, my bum likes WTB. I've worn out a couple silverados on different bikes, but I've had volts and rockets on lesser used bikes and always been comfortable.
    Straight outta Rossland

eri
    mtbr member
    Never had a problem with saddles until I got an indoor trainer. All that time seated in the same position. After a week I had a pretty serious problem with numbness - like no more indoor riding. I tried pretty much every saddle I could find in the seattle area: Multiple saddles from Fizik, Ergon, Selle Italia, Scoop (great looking but too soft for me), san marco, etc, etc.

The giant contact sl was a candidate because no numbness (but hard as rock), luckily I happened on the Specialized Phenom, the cheapest one, the comp? Soft enough that I needed no sit bone conditioning but most important no numbness.

On my outdoor bike I have a Chromag Trailmaster LTD - is heavy and has thick baseball glove leather: is really comfy though with lots of different sit positions.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper View Post
    The one that when you sit down it feels like a kiss on the taint from a chamois angel.
    ^ That's pure gold.

My favorite one so far is SDG Bel Air. It's 95% awesome for me. I'm still looking for a saddle that's 100% all the time. I've been through a lot of them. Ergon's don't work for me, I tried two now and I'm over it.

I'm ordering two new saddles in the next couple weeks, I'm giving SQ Labs a try. I like what they're doing, at least in theory. I'm getting one for my cross bike and one for my MTB.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have an upper end Silverado on my mountain bike that I like. I had a sella Italia saddle prior that I broke a rail on and loved. My tri bike saddle rubs my balls raw in endura shorts so I'm shopping for a new saddle. I broke the rail in the middle of an easy ride so they kind of scare me now. Trying to find something for someone that is close to Clydesdale weight when he is asked if he has cancer. I know from the Italia there are better saddles for me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Selle Anatomica. They are heavy, but it's like pedaling on a cloud. I'd love to try their carbon saddle...maybe soon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I agree with eri in that I don't have any saddle issues until I am on the trainer. Outside I primarily ride standing, not as much sit and spin on a single speed as with a geared bike. But my go to for the last several years has been Ergon, I can ride the small Ergon and the medium (FWYW I have about 12mm sit bones). I am giving the SQ Labs a long hard look, I like how they look and the design concept behind them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper View Post

I'm all about Specialized for years but might try Ergon as I ween of the Big S as my LBS no longer sells them.
    I spent the last two years on Phenom and Power saddles from Spesh. Love them. Just dropped an Ergon on my Spark and so far so good.

mtbr member
    I've tried a few but have settled on specialized power. Did a 6 hour ride Saturday, and honestly never even thought about my saddle.

One of the biggest differences it made though was on my indoor trainer. Sitting in one spot on a trainer for multiple hours can be brutal with the wrong saddle.

I have multiple models. Personally, I found their thinner padded versions to be more comfortable than the thicker padded versions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have WTB Volts on all my bikes. Tried some others in the past and none seem to fit my ass as well as the Volts. There may be better ones out there that also fit me, but havenít bothered to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brooks. A b-17 with trimmed skirts.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've been running Spesh Toupes (143mm) for probably 5 seasons or so. Could probably get away without a chamois but haven't been brave enough to try on anything longer than an hour.

have Medium Ergon SME-3 on my cx bikes (SS) and I like them there but am not brave enough to try them for anything else (yet).

fwiw, when I was a roadie I really liked the ISM Adamo saddles. Took a while to figure it out wrt positioning but once you figure out how it "should" feel, they were great. Looking at their website they've revamped/renamed their saddles and added a bunch of new options including a mtb specific version.

Dog Slow
    Another nod to the Fabric Scoop models, all day comfortable for me on the gravel, road and XC race rigs. Just about to put the low spec version on my dedicated stationary bike as that one is really kicking my butt after long sessions of Zwift.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Fabric Scoop is all I use. Shallow on XC, road and gravel bikes. Radius on trail and "all-mountain" bikes. Threw out my box of over-priced Selle Italia and other "high-end" saddles.
    Yeti SB100
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley LS V3
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot 429SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Some bikes with skinny tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I tried the fabric scoop out, and ended up getting three more of them for my regular-use bikes. I've got a steel-railed, ti-railed, carbon-railed, and full-carbon ultimate. All are very awesome. In my opinion - after trying at least 20 different saddles - this is the best saddle out there for all day comfort. I've done 240+ mile days on gravel with it and felt fine. I've even done some over-night tours and 4-5 hour rides without a chamois on it. Highly recommended. Check out the OutdoorGearlab review on it as well.
    Fatbikes tho

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've had surprisingly great luck with the Bontrager Evoke and Monstrose saddles.

Being a saddle snob, I assumed these would get swapped out quickly, but that hasn't been the case.
    Whining is not a strategy.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beluga_ciabatta View Post
    I tried the fabric scoop out, and ended up getting three more of them for my regular-use bikes. I've got a steel-railed, ti-railed, carbon-railed, and full-carbon ultimate. All are very awesome. In my opinion - after trying at least 20 different saddles - this is the best saddle out there for all day comfort. I've done 240+ mile days on gravel with it and felt fine. I've even done some over-night tours and 4-5 hour rides without a chamois on it. Highly recommended. Check out the OutdoorGearlab review on it as well.
    Scoop was the first saddle I came home with, without a doubt the coolest looking seat! Hated to box it up but numbness Is numbnesss, the blood must flow!
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    WTB Pure is my preferred saddle for anything from 10 to 125 miles of mountain biking.
    Tried the whole set of 13 saddles from WTB ($200), Pure was my favorite. Rocket close second. All others waiting to be eBayed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Fizik Gobi xm. I have three, cause I pick them up whenever I find them really cheap.

Happened to come on one of my first bikes I bought off a buddy. I think I might still be on that exact one. Good for rides longer than my legs last. It's got a little padding, some flex, and is good for multiple positions. I ride seated a huge majority of the time.

Saddles are all personal though. I suggest picking up used on Craigslist and eBay to find your fit. Absolutely no use buying used.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    Specialized saddles work well for me. Not a big fan of their bikes, but their other gear seems to be very well thought out.

While I'm likely in the minority, I like the Henge. Its a fairly flat saddle which I like. I've had people give me theirs and they are very easy to find, barely used, and cheap in the classifieds.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I got my SQ Labs saddle, one ride so far. I like it. It's different for sure.

I did a 4 hour ride on the fatbike, no discomfort. It's a little hard to tell exactly how it would be in the summer (currently wearing thick-ish winter pants/layers), or if I stayed seated more, but I think it will work pretty well. Only a series of long rides in my summer gear will tell the story for sure.

I used their fit system and measured my sit bones prior to ordering. I ended up with the 611 Ergowave Active with Ti rails. https://www.sq-lab.com/shop/en/Saddl...ve-active.html

Only time will tell.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    I ride a Selle Nepal and absolutely love it. The only thing I don't like about it is the titanium rails making squeaky noises, but that seems to be common problem among most saddles with ti rails.

The best thing I ever did was measure my tooshie bones. I always just bought whatever saddle was on sale because I am cheap, and they always hurt. I finally got a thick piece of cardboard and did the at home butt bone measuring trick. Turns out I have extremely wide butt bones (save your jokes, I have heard them already). I bought the Selle in a width that corresponded with my measurement and my longer days in the saddle have improved by a million percent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    I've been running Spesh Toupes (143mm) for probably 5 seasons or so. Could probably get away without a chamois but haven't been brave enough to try on anything longer than an hour.

have Medium Ergon SME-3 on my cx bikes (SS) and I like them there but am not brave enough to try them for anything else (yet).

fwiw, when I was a roadie I really liked the ISM Adamo saddles. Took a while to figure it out wrt positioning but once you figure out how it "should" feel, they were great. Looking at their website they've revamped/renamed their saddles and added a bunch of new options including a mtb specific version.
    Anyone try out the ISM mtb saddle yet? Thinking of giving it a roll.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Fizik Aliante.
    Road and MTB versions.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you want plush without getting too heavy... pick whatever WTB saddle fits your bottom... pay more for the version with DNA padding (Pro, Team or Carbon versions). I really like the VOLT.

WTB has models in many shapes, rail options, widths and padding levels. They also have demo saddles in some dealers where you can try before you buy.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Anyone know of any narrow saddles (130-140mm) with a good amount of padding? Most narrow saddles I've found have very little padding and don't work for me for long rides (4-8 hours).
    My current saddles on my MTBs are the bontrager evoke 2. These have worked for me for years, although are getting worn out and need to be replaced. Problem is they are no longer made.
    On my road bike I have the WTB SL8 - which is OK - right width and sufficient padding, but I don't like the slightly upturned "whale-tail" at the back of the saddle.
    I've tried the bontrager affinity (original saddle on my road bike) and the evoke (original saddle on my newer mountain bike), and these have not had enough padding. I've also tried the specialized phenom which at 145mm is a little wide, the Toupe which was a little too hard, and a few more demo saddles from my LBS that didn't work either.
    Would appreciate any suggestions. Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I like the Fizik Aliante XM, which was discontinued. I have spent a little time on an Ergon, and that will likely be my next saddle once the Fiziks are dead.

mtbr member
    I've done well with the WTB Silverado. I run the narrow version which would meet your width requirements. I've broken rails on the chromo versions, but the ti version has been holding strong for 2+ years.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    2018 Santa Cruz Blur
    2015 Santa Cruz Highball
    2016 Jake The Snake

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    I like the Fizik Aliante XM, which was discontinued. I have spent a little time on an Ergon, and that will likely be my next saddle once the Fiziks are dead.
    I've got road and dirt XM's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I run a ISM PN1.1 on my MTB, and the Attack on my MTB. The attack is the older version of PN with less padding. It works for me for 15.5 hour rides with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I've got road and dirt XM's.

I like the older/original road version too, but the new road are just too hard, even for the road bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_poolboy View Post
    I've done well with the WTB Silverado. I run the narrow version which would meet your width requirements. I've broken rails on the chromo versions, but the ti version has been holding strong for 2+ years.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I've tried the Silverado. It's wider than the SL8 at the inner thighs, and I noticed some pressure/slight chafing during my demo. Maybe I just have an odd shaped anatomy, or am getting too picky!

mtbr member
    Specialized Phenom or Fabric Scoop. Both have been great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    For the past year and a half, I was dead set on WTB Silverado's, and converted all my bikes to them. They were good, and if I got the angle right, it was a comfortable saddle. When I ordered a new road bike in the winter, I sat down on the digital Specialized saddle fit system. It told me I was a 155mm width. Ordered a Power comp in that width, and my goodness, it was total taint relief. The silverado is considerably narrower and longer than the Power.
    I also noted that the power keeps my lumbar spine at a much straighter angle, where my lumber on the Silverado was rounded more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I love the SQ Labs saddles, got my first one 3 years ago and have never looked back! I have them on all of my bikes, they have just been so comfortable, I can't imagine riding anything else. They measure your sitz bones and you choose your saddle size accordingly. They do take a bit to get set up just right in the beginning, but once you do, you don't even feel like the saddle is there. My local shop is a dealer, so that really helped in getting them set up right the first time...when you first sit on the saddle if you feel like you need to scoot back, it means you actually need to move the saddle forward a bit to get it in the right place on your sitz bones, and keep the nose tilted just slightly down. This seems counter intuitive, so I was glad to have the help in setting it up.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasSingleSpeed View Post
    Selle Anatomica. They are heavy, but it's like pedaling on a cloud. I'd love to try their carbon saddle...maybe soon?
    Quoting myself for an update...

...strongly considered the carbon Selle Anatomica for my hardtail earlier in March. I read a few reviews that discussed issues with the saddle separating -and that was on road bikes. Whether those were isolated cases or not, I dismissed their carbon saddle as being suitable for use on a MTB (which even they don't recommend).

I spent last week's Pisgah Stage Race on an Ergon SMR-3 pro carbon. Certainly not as comfortable as the Sella Anatomica, but way lighter (helped get my steel hardtail down to 23 lbs), and comfortable enough for 3-4 hours racing on rocky, rooty terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Iím riding on a nukeproof...after a few hours it gets uncomfortable. Being new to MTBing Iíve been looking at Ergon...any model recommendations? Iím 60, 5-10 and 165 pounds. I ride a titanium Why Cycles S7.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The SMR3 is pretty firm, but still fairly comfortable. I've only been on this saddle on a new hardtail for a month...in the last 3 weeks, I've ridden two 10+ hour rides and a stage race in the rocky/rooty terrain in Pisgah, and saddle discomfort wasn't an issue. That said, I still don't have many miles in yet to qualify my opinion; saddle choice/comfort is highly personal; and, what works for me may not work for you. If you think the SMR3 may be too firm for your liking, Ergon's SMC3 model is softer. Also, look up DIY methods to estimate your "sit-bones" width to determine which saddle size to order, whether its Ergon or another brand that offers sizing options.

mtbr member
    Really partial to my Ergon SME3 Pro Carbon...

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    I spent the last two years on Phenom and Power saddles from Spesh. Love them. Just dropped an Ergon on my Spark and so far so good.
    Update: SMR3-Pro doesn't work for me. Too much pressure in the channel area, so I'm going numb after about 3 hours in the saddle or so. I've been trying out an ISM Adamo saddle on my road bike and so far the channel region is brilliant (put in about 18 hours total last week with no numbing) but my pelvic bones are still trying to adapt. The Adamo contacts in a different location so it's taking some getting used to.

If the Adamo doesn't work I'm heading back to the Phenoms.