Favorite saddle for multi-day events / 7 days a week on the bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Favorite saddle for multi-day events / 7 days a week on the bike?

Hi All -

I'm training for the BC Bike Race and have never had saddle sores before, but being on the bike 15-20 hours a week has resulted in this painful dilemma.

I'm riding the WTB Carbon Volt seat and it's stiff + the rails don't flex at all so I'm wondering if this is part of the problem. Other thing I tend to do is pull myself forward and sit on the nose while climbing which I think is the main culprit (working on this situation too). I do use chamois cream which helps but hasn't prevented it.

That said: Any lighter saddles that are more comfortable on the tush? Heck - at this point I don't even care if it's light, just need arse friendly.

Thanks for your input!

Formerly of Kent

Favorite saddle for multi-day events / 7 days a week on the bike?

Rails shouldn’t flex on any saddle.

The shell? Yes.

Personally, I think WTB makes hot garbage for saddles. I’d never ride one for any real length of time, other than a quick demo. Specialized, Bontrager, and Fizik would be the saddle brands I’d check out.

What shorts/bibs are you wearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I agree with Le Duke, WTB = no go for me! For my body a Ergon SMR-3 medium (measure your sit bones!) is best, I also like the S Labs saddles but it feels very different than the Ergon. I can go for many many hours with no bibs / chamois on the Ergon without issue. But then again I ride a single speed and stand a LOT!

If your on the trainer or doing a lot of miles on the road (where your just sitting and spinning in one static position) you will be more prone to tissue damage. A proper chamois and a well fitting saddle should help a lot, but you still need to "work up to" extended time in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Wow - didn't realize that WTB was at the bottom of the list - but after 10 hours and about 90 miles in the saddle this weekend I'm ready to toss it in the trash. I'm going to get fit on Monday and will definitely check out Ergon, Fizik, Specialized.

I wear Pearl Izumi Pro Escape shorts and Fox ranger shorts on the outside if riding over 40 miles so I have pockets. I'm also beginning to think the baggies may be contributing. From what I read, many of you spend much longer days/weeks riding and don't have this issue so I really think it's a fitment/saddle situation.
    Last edited by edenger; 06-18-2018 at 06:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Don't rule out the chamois, if the bibs don't fit properly or are too loose (so they move around or bunch up) then that is most likely the source of the problem. Also make sure the bibs are CLEAN! Kinda goes without saying but you need to wash your bibs very often, like every ride. I wash mine by hand and air dry, it only takes a few minutes but extends the life of them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Everyone's but is different. Personally I love WTB saddles. The Rocket Pro model in 142mm wide suits me perfect, flex tuned plastic and good padding. I've noticed in 24hr races that tilting the nose down a little prevents most sores.

Wanna ride bikes?
    My long time go-to is the SDG Bel-Air. Great all around saddle, very comfortable after long hours on the bike.

I'm also now using SQ Labs 611 Ergowave Ti saddles. I've been using it on two bikes for a few months now. I really like their fit system, and the design seems to have a lot of science behind it, which focuses on sit bone measurement.

Did a 7 hour ride on Friday, still felt good at the end. I'm undecided which saddle I'm going to use for my next endurance event.

https://sqlab-usa.com/collections/sa...-s-tube-saddle
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Ergon Bike
    The saddle game is a tricky one, as everyone is different. Nearly all saddles that come on bikes are too narrow to support the rider. As others have echoed, get the correct width to support your bone structure. Also be sure to get the right saddle for the intended usage. Saddles come in all shapes and sizes based on how they are to be ridden. Try our Online Saddle Selector Tool. Lastly never rule out a proper bike fit to maximize the efficiency between man and machine.

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike US