mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Endurance Saddles

I am new to endurance riding and look to up my level this next year. I just completed a 55mile, 13.5hour, 8400' vertical, one day ride. I am male, 44, 200lbs (on my way to 185lbs).

I ran into a medical issue with blood in my urine after about 35 miles (sorry about the graphic story here). The doc says to look for a saddle without a horn, as this is the latest news from the medical side to help with trauma to the prostate and the urethra on long rides.

I have been looking at the new Fizik saddles that have a lot of movement in them, i.e. the fizik kurve or the fizik alainte gamma xm.

Any ideas on the best saddles for long endurance rides and maybe some without a horn on them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Selle SMP

mtbr member
    Saddles are so personal, what one person finds absolutely, all day comfortable another might not even be able to ride for an hour. Personally I'm a WTB fan and use the PureV and LaserV saddles on my bikes - think I like the PureV better, but the LaserV works alright. Best bet is to try to find a shop with a demo/rental saddle program and demo/test some saddles - I know WTB offers this through shops, not sure what other brands. BTW, I don't like all WTB saddles, can ride the Laser, Pure, Rocket, Speed, but hated the Silverado I got with one bike.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    +1 on that. I would strongly suggest you would try the saddle first (if possible).
    Also, when you would loose weight the saddle you get now, might not fit you then...
    Been there, done that...

Ofir

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Saddles are so personal, what one person finds absolutely, all day comfortable another might not even be able to ride for an hour. Personally I'm a WTB fan and use the PureV and LaserV saddles on my bikes - think I like the PureV better, but the LaserV works alright. Best bet is to try to find a shop with a demo/rental saddle program and demo/test some saddles - I know WTB offers this through shops, not sure what other brands. BTW, I don't like all WTB saddles, can ride the Laser, Pure, Rocket, Speed, but hated the Silverado I got with one bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Saddles are extremely personal. +100 on finding a LBS that has a demo program. I kept trying saddles this spring until in a fit of utter frustration emailed Flite directly about my love for the original Flite seat. my joy cannot be overstated when I learned they had re-released it! My MTBs have a road saddle on them, as I can spend 8-10 hours on it w/o too many issues. Others I know put MTB saddles on their road bikes. What works for you may or my not work for others.
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

mtbr member
    Koobi

No other words necessary.

If you don't like it, they take it back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Check out ISM saddles. I have a friend who had similar issues and an ISM saddle was the fix.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by helifitz View Post
    Check out ISM saddles. I have a friend who had similar issues and an ISM saddle was the fix.
    This. Adamo saddles remove the front pressure point entirely.

mtbr member
    2 saddles I highly recommend, Aliante Versus or Bontragers Evoke saddle. The cool thing about Bonty is you can try them out for 30 days at your local dealer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    2nd the IS Adamo saddle recommendation.

I've tried all sorts of saddles. And I mean all sorts. The money I've spent finding the perfect saddle ...

Selle SMP Extra was my most recent fave. Tried quite a few other models in the SMP line but this one worked the best for me. Relatively inexpensive too. But I just recently switched to the IS Adamo Podium model &, so far, it's my current fave. Considered the Koobi but chose the IS Adamo instead.

Two notes about the IS Adamo: Some of the models, including the model meant for MTB'ing, have a 'hook' on the rear underside (used by tri-geeks to stage bikes) that I've read some users have caught their shorts on when going off the back of the saddle. The other is: The saddles tend to be on the short side, which is why I chose the IS Adamo Podium instead of the MTB model (didn't want to deal with the 'hook' either). The IS Adamo site has a saddle selection tool as well very good pics & specs of the various models.

Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    +1 for the Bontrager Evoke. I would also recommend the WTB Speed V. Or hit a Specialized dealer and have them measure the width of your "sit bones". Then get a saddle with similar width.

viva la v-brakes!
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I too am considering a new saddle after a 70 mile road ride on my monstercross bike with a SLR left my hip and sit-bone area pretty sore.

I'm really happy with the Fizik Arione on my road bikes, but the back end of the saddle sticks out too much for MTB use. Does anyone know if any of Fizik's MTB saddle fit/feel like the Arione?

Also, I have been riding the WTB Rocket V on my regular MTB (also gets a lot of endurance rides), and have been thinking of trying the new Volt saddle. Anyone riding one of those yet?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

parts leftover
    Everyone's recommendation will basically be what fits them, which may not fit you. Personally, for endurance riding I have better luck with saddles that are concave in the middle rather than convex. How a saddle is shaped determines the degree that you are sitting directly on your sitbones vs more uncomfortable areas. The Fizik Aliante Gamma is an example of a more convex saddle, and I found it didn't put enough of my weight on my sitbones.

Personally, I prefer a more spread out distribution and the WTB Pure V fits my backside nicely, along with the Specialized Romin. For me, that's about it for what works. The new Specialized Phenom felt ok for a 2 hour ride, but I can't say how it would be for endurance. I've heard Cobb saddles work well, and they have a money back guarantee, but I haven't tried them.

The ISM Adamo Peak actually bruised my sit bones on a short 30 minute ride and the residual pain caused me issues for weeks after I got rid of it. It was beyond terrible for me. The Selle SMPs were promising, but after trying the Dynamic, Pro, and Lite 209 the saddle sores weren't worth it. Of all the saddles I've tried, I think the Dynamic certainly looked the best of any of them. Too bad it didn't work out.

Finally, you'd be amazed at what a slight amount of saddle tilt does for weight distribution and comfort. WTBs feel good tilted slightly forward. The SMPs were best tilted slightly back. The Romin is best for me when nearly flat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim View Post
    The ISM Adamo Peak actually bruised my sit bones on a short 30 minute ride and the residual pain caused me issues for weeks after I got rid of it. It was beyond terrible for me. The Selle SMPs were promising, but after trying the Dynamic, Pro, and Lite 209 the saddle sores weren't worth it.
    If the Adamo caused so much trouble for you, then that should tell you how much other saddles determine "the degree that you are sitting directly on your sitbones vs more uncomfortable areas". Adamo puts the load on your sit bones by removing the other contact areas entirely. It's a good thing though there is an adjustment period where your sit bones will be sore. That is true for all saddles, we're just adjusted to other saddles already. Adamo saddles need more than a spin around the block and a b*tch on the internets; they are actually different rather than a permutation of the same old thing. I would guess that few people like Adamo saddles after the first ride.

The problem with the Selle SMPs and MTB riding is they don't allow any fore/aft movement on the saddle. They are also especially sensitive to setup. I think they are useless for MTB but comfortable for road.

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    Adamo saddles need more than a spin around the block and a b*tch on the internets; they are actually different rather than a permutation of the same old thing. I would guess that few people like Adamo saddles after the first ride.
    Good thing there's one of them review forums on the internets for people to say what they think about bike stuff after they buy it. Turns out, my disclaimer still applies - what may fit someone else may not fit you. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Good thing there's one of them review forums on the internets for people to say what they think about bike stuff after they buy it. Turns out, my disclaimer still applies - what may fit someone else may not fit you. YMMV.
    How would you know after only a 30 minute ride? You spent more time dreaming up your exaggerated recovery.

By all means, though, tell us how saddles are shaped to load your sit bones and then criticize a saddle for doing that better than any other. People love to pretend they have expertise.

parts leftover
    How would you know after only a 30 minute ride? You spent more time dreaming up your exaggerated recovery.

By all means, though, tell us how saddles are shaped to load your sit bones and then criticize a saddle for doing that better than any other. People love to pretend they have expertise.
    So, given your expertise, how long should a saddle cause extreme pain before deciding it's not right for you? If the residual pain makes it difficult to ride any other saddle for a few weeks while in training for an endurance race, how long should you keep using the saddle that caused the problem? I'm hoping for a good recommendation so I can get it right next time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So, given your expertise, how long should a saddle cause extreme pain before deciding it's not right for you? If the residual pain makes it difficult to ride any other saddle for a few weeks while in training for an endurance race, how long should you keep using the saddle that caused the problem? I'm hoping for a good recommendation so I can get it right next time.
    If any saddle causes you "extreme pain" and injury in only 30 minutes then there's something wrong with you. The same goes if your residual pain lasts a few weeks. More likely you are prone to exaggeration and prejudice and feel the need to spread it here.

With any saddle, your body needs time to adjust and that means more than a few minutes. This is especially true for Adamo saddles since they actually deliver on what other saddles promise. They take all the load off your taint and put it on the sit bones. As knowledgable as you claim to be on saddle fit, it seems you aren't accustomed to a saddle that works as it says it does.

parts leftover
    If any saddle causes you "extreme pain" and injury in only 30 minutes then there's something wrong with you. The same goes if your residual pain lasts a few weeks. More likely you are prone to exaggeration and prejudice and feel the need to spread it here.

With any saddle, your body needs time to adjust and that means more than a few minutes. This is especially true for Adamo saddles since they actually deliver on what other saddles promise. They take all the load off your taint and put it on the sit bones. As knowledgable as you claim to be on saddle fit, it seems you aren't accustomed to a saddle that works as it says it does.
    Yep, there's something wrong with me. Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into that.

I don't recall saying I'm knowledgable on saddle fit, I just said I've tried a bunch of different saddles and have some preferences now.

It seems pretty important to you that what I say isn't true. Is your experience of ISM saddles being comfortable also imagined and exaggerated? I didn't realize that you'd take a different opinion so personally, maybe you should talk to someone about that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It seems pretty important to you that what I say isn't true.
    It seems pretty important to you to come off as knowledgable on saddle design while you express experience with a saddle that you don't have. You're the only one that's seen fit to take a cr@p on a saddle that someone else recommended even though you clearly have inadequate experience with it. Why is that?

Most interesting is the irony of your explanation of how saddles work in light of it clearly needing to be explained to you regarding the Adamo.

Is your experience of ISM saddles being comfortable also imagined and exaggerated?
    I have actually ridden one long enough and objectively enough to have an actual opinion of it, and unlike you, I don't resort to saying things that can't be true of any saddle. I know how they work and what they require of a new rider. If you really tried one you'd know it too.

Any saddle needs adaptation. New riders know this all too well. Most saddles require little additional adaptation for experienced riders. This isn't true of Adamo's.

I didn't realize that you'd take a different opinion so personally, maybe you should talk to someone about that?
    It's not that it's different, it's that it is dishonest. You lie and exaggerate to make your point and for what purpose?

parts leftover
    Does having a different opinion of a product than your own opinion make me a liar? Do personal attacks make you feel more credible?

Interestingly, the evidence that you say is insufficient to validate my opinion is the same degree of evidence that you say makes your statement apparently irrefutable and conversely makes me a liar. In other words, you rode one and now have an "objective/actual opinion". I rode one and am a liar because I said it was painful *for me*, "which can't be true of any saddle". In effect, you are saying that I didn't spend enough time on it while it caused me increasing pain to adequately determine if it was painful for me or not. Excellent bit of reasoning. Further, because you have supposedly spent more time on the ISM than me, how does it follow that there is no way I could have honestly disliked it?

I stand by my original statement, "Everyone's recommendation will basically be what fits them, which may not fit you."

Also, if you look carefully, at my first post, did I say that I prefer to sit directly on my sit bones or that I prefer a more spread out distribution of weight? You might want to check.

viva la v-brakes!
    Why don't you two get a room and let the rest of us get to the subject matter at hand?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Saddles are so personal, what one person finds absolutely, all day comfortable another might not even be able to ride for an hour. ....................................... can ride the Laser, Pure, Rocket, Speed, but hated the Silverado I got with one bike.
    To +1 that point, the silverado is the only WTB saddle i like.

The other saddles i have liked most have been the Phenom & Aliante.