Endurance racing in baggies & no bibs...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Endurance racing in baggies & no bibs...

So all my bibs were getting long in the tooth and needing to be replaced this winter. I have purchased 3 different pair this year and still haven't been able to find some that fit properly (my old bibs that fit the best are no longer made). With my new bibs I am either getting some chafing where you DONT want chafing, or the legs creep up pretty bad. Generally poor fit...

I usually do most of my rides without bibs, as long as they are 50 miles or less. So I am used to riding without bibs, but on all my endurance races 100K - 24 hour solo events I have always worn bibs. I don't have any good reason other than I feel like I should.

But here is my problem: I have a 24 hour solo event this weekend and am not happy with the bibs I currently have (all are good quality and were not cheap). I just got in a set of Cuore silver bibs last night that I wanted to try, but have not had a chance to ride in them and I don't think a 24 hour is the time for a test run. So I am thinking of racing with only baggies and no bibs. This is something I am used to doing on short rides with no issues at all, but this is a long event. Does anyone out there do these long events with out bibs or liners? I may bring a set to throw on if I start feeling any sign of problems (before it becomes a problem), but I am at the point of thinking the ones I have currently may be more of a problem than without.

**I am racing a single speed so the majority of the time I am standing, not like I will be in the saddle for 24 hours. That would be a different story all together!

Any input is appreciated...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've raced multi-day events without any chamois. My bottom was pretty chapped regardless if I had a chamois or not. I was on my fat tire bike in the winter so that experience is certainly different than a mountain bike 24hr solo event. I've only ever used bibs during 24hr or 100 mile events.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wear them for a couple of laps and feel them out? It's not like a quick pit-stop to change is going to kill your race.

mtbr member
    I pretty much always wear baggies. I very much prefer a very thin chamois over kit shorts... unfortunately, with the thin chamois you can see my dingus through the front of them, so I have to wear shorts over the top. I generally race in those and a zip up jersey with rear pockets.

The jersey is a whole other story. I learned early on to wear the zip ones. If your nipple butter starts failing, being able to unzip enough that your shirt is no longer rubbing your chest is necessary. Seen too many guys come through the finish line with bloody nipple spots on their shirts (I have been close...).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Damn, bloody nips... I luckily have never had a nip chafing problem.

I think I am going to go without the chamois and see what happens. Like stated a quick stop isn't going to kill my race. Ill update the thread with what happens. Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I pretty much always wear baggies. I very much prefer a very thin chamois over kit shorts... unfortunately, with the thin chamois you can see my dingus through the front of them, so I have to wear shorts over the top. I generally race in those and a zip up jersey with rear pockets.

The jersey is a whole other story. I learned early on to wear the zip ones. If your nipple butter starts failing, being able to unzip enough that your shirt is no longer rubbing your chest is necessary. Seen too many guys come through the finish line with bloody nipple spots on their shirts (I have been close...).
    Transpore tape works well. It doesn't come off with sweat, but does come off relatively easy when you are done. Still hurts a bit, but its like pulling a bandaid off. Much better than chaffed nipples.

mtbr member
    The only "right" way is what works. Some guys love bibs and others don't. In my experience there is no "right" answer and that it all depends on what works for your butt. It has taken time for me to fun certain shorts/ bibs that I like on short rides and long rides. Do have at least one back pair just in case you need a change. Some times a fresh pair is all you need to feel MUCH better or nip and issue early before it turns into a bigger problem.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    There is no way in hell I'd spent 24 hours on a bicycle without a set of bib shorts on. I've done two 12+ hour events and it would have been hell without good shorts. No way!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Yup bibs for me too, with or without baggies. I've also had the nipple problem, a dab of chamois butter helps a lot.

24 hour race? Chamois Buttr everywhere!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So my race turned out not to be much of a race after all. I was the only male solo rider in the 24 hour event. I rode it without bibs, just baggy shorts (I did however lube up a bit to reduce chafing). I decided to see how hard I could go as opposed to ride my "24 hour pace", which is honestly not that much different than my all out pace **and that isn't to say I am a fast 24 hour racer, more to say that I am just a moderate pace kinda guy.

But long story short I decided around midnight to just do 100 miles and call it so I could minimize recovery time from this race. If there was someone I was actually racing it would have been a completely different story. None the less I ended up with a little over 92 miles (I was tired and did not do the math right in my head to get actually 100 miles in, GPS has a hard time on this course b/c of all the switch backs registering correct mileage per lap so I was stuck having to think ha), around 11,700 feet of climbing in 12 hours and 50 min.

I never stopped to re-lube, I never had any hot spots or tender areas, my whole under carriage was excellent the whole race. After the race I took a shower and cleaned everything up well and felt completely normal, no rash, tender area, saddle sores, or chafeage, all is good to go! I have a 100K coming up and will do that one w/o bibs and see how it goes. Maybe I am going to be a "free man" from now on, certainly simplifies things some.

Wanna ride bikes?
    That surprises me, you must have the perfect saddle/ass relationship.

Next question, what kind of shorts do you use??
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had on nylon Adidas boxers (my normal go to) with Race Face Podium shorts (found them on sale pretty cheap on Amazon), it was actually my second time wearing the RF shorts. I just applied a liberal amount of Chamois Butt'r in critical areas and forgot about it.

I think there are 2 main things that aided me in this endeavor, one I never wear a Chamois during any training rides (up to 50 miles-ish) so you could say that I am "conditioned", and two I am on a single speed so I stand about 80% of the time.

I am definitely not saying this is for everyone, but IMO it is nice for pit stops (especially if your "pushing your limits on duration between them" and to me its just more comfortable / I feel like I am more free to move around on the bike.

Ill update this thread after my 100K in a few weeks, but I expect that to go well too as Ill only be on the bike around 6 hours or so.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I've been wearing triathlon shorts under my baggies recently and for single speeding they're brilliant. Lighter, more flexible and less intrusive when you have to push, but still a little padding.

Will be wearing bibs on Sunday for the mid-winter 6hr though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Maybe I am going to be a "free man" from now on, certainly simplifies things some.

Of course wear whatever is most comfortable for you but how does it simplify things? Either way you have to pull on a pair of shorts to go for a ride.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Elitest thrill junkie
    We have one endurance race around here at around 110 miles or so where there is so much vegetation at points that you need decent baggies. That said, underneath we still have chamois or even bibs I'm sure with other racers, and lots of butter.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Of course wear whatever is most comfortable for you but how does it simplify things? Either way you have to pull on a pair of shorts to go for a ride.
    Oh, I mean it simplifies things because I have purchased 3 different sets of bibs this year in search of a proper fit and really have not been satisfied. Your absolutely correct that the process is no different. I just am just tired of the search, it isn't like you can demo bibs at your LBS...

even riding SS (standing up more than most) i can't imagine riding that long without a chamois.

halfway through my first 24 i put on a second pair of chamois shorts over my bibs and it was magical.