Ely Monstercross!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ely Monstercross!

I got this crazy idea and decided to save $120 and do this instead of the PCP2P this year.

There's a few guys over on the 29er and the AZ board who are big into these big loops, doing them as loosely organized races/rides with a fellow group of masochists.

This got me thinking that with a little connecting of routes I could combine the best of the Ely, NV trails into one big loop (three leaf clover really).

What I'm planning around Ely would definitely fit the description of a Monstercross. Around 70-75 miles and 10K'+ of climbing.

I've completed the route and am planning a loosely organized ride for Saturday Sept 5. Leaving my house at 6:00 am.

Any other masochists want to join me? There's no entrance fee, no waivers, no support, and no course markings. Sound like fun?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Tucson, AZ
    I know it seems a little late in the year, but I would love to in December. My cousin has a wedding on the 19th in LV and would be able to do anytime from the 20th of Dec on.

It sounds like a blast!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    I know it seems a little late in the year, but I would love to in December. My cousin has a wedding on the 19th in LV and would be able to do anytime from the 20th of Dec on.

It sounds like a blast!
    A December event...how novel. I'd agree with Chad on this one. Ely and me have nothing in common unless it's a big freaking ride when my trails are under snow.

mtbr member

Vegas around Dec. 19

I'll be in the area visiting in-laws around x-mas... Would love to get out on something like this if it goes down. Hopefully I'm in the loop by replying to this joint.

mtbr member
    Well it did get postponed so maybe you're not too late yet. I got a chance to go to Park City today and did a mini epic of my own there instead.

However it would be a rare year when all my local trails are still rideable in mid to late December..... that's why I head to AZ and Vegas and St. George in December.

A couple years ago I was still riding all these trails in early December but don't count on it.

Anyone up for October 10th?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Tucson, AZ
    Hmmmmm....I have a better October 10th option that you can do Check it out.

mtbr member
    Hmmmmm....I have a better October 10th option that you can do Check it out.
    Wow. Makes my little 75 miler seem like an afternoon warm up ride. I'm not sure I could do that. You guys are animals.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Wow. Makes my little 75 miler seem like an afternoon warm up ride. I'm not sure I could do that. You guys are animals.
    I could possibly do the trip during Thanksgiving weekend also.

mtbr member
    I drive through Ely several times a yr on my way to/from California for work. I usually have my bike with me and try to get in some rides as I travel. I will probably be thru Ely area again early Oct (unfortunately it might be on a week day).

Time allowing, I would love to ride some or all of your proposed loop.

You don’t by chance have a GPS file of your route? Maps? Links?
    Suggestions for a partial or full ITT?

Thanks
    ---------------
    me have blog

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

mtbr member
    Yes, you should stop and ride. Here's a good place to start for all the local trails.

I can usually ride during the week early morning or later afternoon/evening and also Friday afternoon. Let me know when you're coming through.

Edit: I just realized looking at that map of the area trails that I could extend the Squaw Peak loop to 30+ miles by connecting it up with the Eagan Crest trails. That would make it close to 100 miles. Now we're getting there.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-10-2009 at 10:40 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I could possibly do the trip during Thanksgiving weekend also.
    We're heading to Vegas to the in-laws for Thanksgiving so won't be around that weekend. Besides it may still be too late to ride many of the trails. We're almost as high as Flagstaff and way further north.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Tucson, AZ
    We're heading to Vegas to the in-laws for Thanksgiving so won't be around that weekend. Besides it may still be too late to ride many of the trails. We're almost as high as Flagstaff and way further north.
    I think I am going to Vegas too over Thanksgiving. Wanna ride then? I have been meaning to hit up some of the trails by my Uncle's house in Red Rock.

mtbr member
    I think I am going to Vegas too over Thanksgiving. Wanna ride then? I have been meaning to hit up some of the trails by my Uncle's house in Red Rock.

Let's plan on it.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Edit: I just realized looking at that map of the area trails that I could extend the Squaw Peak loop to 30+ miles by connecting it up with the Eagan Crest trails. That would make it close to 100 miles total. Now we're getting there.
    Did this option today to see if I should include it in my monster loop (three-leaf clover) of Ely but I think that's going to up the difficulty of the ride several levels.

This Squaw Peak to Egan Crest loop ended up being about 37 miles but it was brutally difficult with no real place to relax and cruise, lots of long, slow climbs, and tons of loose rocky single track. It took me 5.5 hours (5 hours of actual moving time) to complete despite being in the best shape of my life. Pretty sure I couldn't do this loop after doing the first two which are 40 miles and 26 miles respectively.... at least not in less that 12 or 13 hours. That's a long hundred miles.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0