Early season 50s?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Early season 50s?

The 50 mile I wanted to open my season with (Syllamos Revenge) just announced that they won't be doing the race early season anymore. They aren't sure if it will even happen this year, but if it does theyre moving it to the fall... which sucks because the fall is already chock full of racing.

I'm looking for a March-ish 50ish mile race, something to open the season with before Mohican100. Preferably not on the coast, as I'm in the Midwest. With all the grassroots races taking place this days it's hard to know what's out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    True Grit Epic near St. George, Utah is March 9: truegritepic.com

Student of the Bike
    If you've done Syllamo, then how about Ouachita Challenge instead this year? I can't recall exact date, but I think its late March/Early April. Not quite as rocky and technical, but its long enough, some decent climbing and handfuls of chunk along blowout mtn.

-CJB

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It looks like there's still spots open for the Saturday event at the Ouachita Challenge. 65ish miles. The Sunday race is sold out, but can maybe get a transfer?

mtbr member
    I was looking at Ouachita but didn't really understand what it was. It says it's a tour or something?? Is it just a race with a fun ride on the side or something?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm not really sure what the "Tour" is either. The main race is on Sunday, but they do time the Saturday tour and results are posted on their site... so I think it's more than just a fun ride, at least for a portion of the field.

April 13th is the Peddler's Bash (45 miles) in Bentonville.

Student of the Bike
    Its my understanding that the promoters can only have so many people out on the course each day. So they choose to do 1 day "tour" and 1 day "race". The differences are that on the Tour they skip a section or 2 of some of the more sketchy stuff (as I recall), and I think they may not have the same categories (which on "Race" day payout $$).

I've known many people who've done both sides of this (Sat and/or Sun) and they are pretty much both races....times, rolling start, fast riders, etc.. Its just that the "Race" event has a little more prestige and slightly better competitors. I'm certain you wouldn't be disappointed either way. Its a good group who put on a long-standing well run race on some very scenic AR trails. The only caveat can be the weather on occasion.

Later,
    CJB