Dakota Five-O- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dakota Five-O

mtbr member

Dakota Five-O

I'm racing the Dakota Five-O for the first time this year. Does anyone know if they offer drop bags for the aid stations? I'm trying to get my nutrition plan squared away and I'm hoping I don't have to carry everything on me. I prefer to race without a pack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    just in case no one else chimes in... I did it about 4-5 yrs back and don't recall a bag drop but I also don't mind a pack. Fun event (imo) and cute little town. Have a great time!

mtbr member
    Ive done it a few times. Honestly don't remember. A few of the pros had people at each aid station that did their stuff.

Find their facebook page and ask Perry or Kristi if they do.

They did have a ton of stuff at each station. Surely you can find something. i just carried what I needed that they didn't have. All my stuff at the time was Hammer nutrition and they were a sponsor so it worked for me.

Have fun. It's a blast. The after party is great. Spearfish city park is a really nice place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    No drop bags, but plenty of food at the aid stations. Also some floor pumps and likely find someone with basic tools.

Even years are clockwise on the loop. Aide station #1 approx 60-90 min; aide #2 at the top of all of the climbing will be 2:15 if you are fast up to 3hrs. Aide #3 is maybe an hour after that, and then the bacon station is 45min or so of climbing after #3 (if I remember correctly, but part of me says #3 has changed locations.

Fun race, especially in this direction. Aide stations are helpful and fast. Enjoy a gulp of beer and slice at the bacon station.

mtbr member
    I don't think so, but bring a 12 pack of beer the day before the race and find who is working the aid stations, I'm pretty sure they could be bribed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    As was mentioned above, no drop bags, but the aid stations are really well-stocked and everyone is really fast at filling bottles. The course runs really fast after Aid 2 in the clockwise direction.

Have a great time at Five-0, it's my favourite race I've ever done. Fantastic trails and racers, and Perry and Kristi are amazing organizers. Was supposed to be year six for me, but I managed to badly separate my shoulder and fracture my clavicle 4 weeks ago, so some lucky person on the waitlist got my entry!

mtbr member
    Did it last year and am doing it this year. They have water and their own electrolyte drink. They are super fast at refilling. There is oranges, cookies, cucumbers at every stop.

Last year i did 2 bottles and hit a wall 3 km out from old baldy. This year is reverse from that but im wearing a camelbak classic 2L.

I didnt drink much up the gravel or tinton, then had no chance to up the switchbacks. Drank my 2 way too fast on the doubletrack to old baldy and i guess it wasnt enough... hit old baldy and drank and drank and ate 3-4 whole oranges then i only drank 2 bottles on the way down.

The race is a blast. The street fair is awesome. The whole weekend and days leading up is so much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How did it go for you?

Looks like the times were a little slower once you get outside the top 50-75 people when compared to what I remember from years past. I heard that Perry had to make a few reroutes due to storm damage. Perhaps that added some time?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    How did it go for you?

Looks like the times were a little slower once you get outside the top 50-75 people when compared to what I remember from years past. I heard that Perry had to make a few reroutes due to storm damage. Perhaps that added some time?
    Added 10 minutes to what the podium guys were expecting. I did horrible compared to last year... im not a long double track climber, they suck the life out of me.

I prefer the last years direction for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    This was my first time doing the event. I thought the course was fast. I heard the same thing regarding the reroutes and adding time. I had no basis for comparison so it wasn't a factor for me. I enjoyed the event thoroughly and thought the trails were in great shape especially considering the work they had to put in because of the storm damage.