Dakota 5-0 2014- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dakota 5-0 2014

mtbr member

Dakota 5-0 2014

Who's going? Any advice for a first timer? I've done plenty of endurance events just not this one. If I've been in the top 20 at the Laramie Enduro, is it safe to put myself into the first wave? If I start in a later wave, how do they adjust the results for the different start times? I guess it's possible to be beaten by someone in your class that's in a later start wave, and finishes after you, but with a faster time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I believe that they time each wave seperately, so in theory you can go fast in wave 2 and still place high in the overall. Go look at past results for 2011 and 2012 (2013 was opposite direction on the course). If you see names you recognize and normally compete with in the top 100, then jump into the 1st wave.

Only advice is although it is 90% uphill to checkpoint 2 at 22miles, every person that I've talked to can double their time from that point to the finish and be accurate to their finish time. You'd think that it is all downhill from the top, but that goes to show that the remaining 26miles are just as tough as the first 22.

I'll be there, one of the many on the Rassy Red team. It is a great race.

mtbr member
    Anyone else going? Just me, my wife and iowagriz?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    3 guys and myself from the east side of SD will be there. If you have done some 50+ mile races with a good amount of climbing in the past and can finish under 4:30 I would get in the first heat, but what heat did you sign up in? I know you can't transfer registration any longer but I don't know about heat. The timing is from when you cross the start line to when you cross the finish line so technically you could win regardless of the heat. Last year I started in heat 2 but ran into a bike issue just getting into the Tinton Trail single track. It put me to the back of the pack and I got stuck in a traffic jam shortly after getting going again. There are some technical climbs in the first few miles of the single track and it only takes a few riders to dismount to cause everyone behind them to start stacking up, so I would try to get up front coming into the single track. I think part of the issue last year was guys running heat 2 that should have been in heat 3 or 4. If they get rain a few days before the race it should be great dirt, if not it gets pretty dusty so set up your bike accordingly. I forgot my chain lube and borrowed some stuff that was really wet and sticky which was a magnet for dust and caused me issues. Its a really fun race and great event, some of the climbs in the second half of the race make you ask yourself why you decided to do it but the music, beer, food and atmosphere after the race makes it worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    zach is right - you are already in a wave (chosen when you registered) and you can't change. Generally speaking it's not a big deal, and things even out pretty quickly. But a bottleneck can develop at first single track - so if you are really concerned put in a hard effort during initial road climb. Last year I found there were a lot of people who weren't in the proper wave - so when we got to some early sections we were catching up to earlier waves and it was a real headache. But overall things are good, and besides a few moments in the first 30-40 minutes or so passing etc. is a non issue. And for the most part people are cool about letting you by etc.

It's great fun - love the race and I think this will be about my eighth time. Can't wait to get down there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I did my first Five-0 last year. I had originally registered in the 5-6 hour wave, but came to my senses that I'm actually slow and changed to the 6+ hour wave at package pickup. So yes, they do let you change waves if you want.

It was my first ever marathon type race, and I'm fairly new to mountain biking. I had so much fun that I'm going back this year (again in the slow rider wave). The riding was amazing, and all the riders were super supportive and plain fun to be around. Looking forward to Sunday!

mtbr member
    We made it to Spearfish, and are camped in the city campground. ready for fun. Look for my grey f-250 w/ CO plates (wz). stop by and say HI.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have fun, I did it once, great time!

File a report later....

mtbr member
    Report. Epic Fail. My daughters caught made it into my lungs while we camped in the cold rain. I couldn't breath deep without Hugh coughing fits.i One of which sent me into a tree. I dropped out at aid#2 to save my health, 2 of my friends in steamboat had this morph into pneumonia, andI don't want that. Have to try again next year. My wife did this as her first 50 miler, had a blast sothat's a plus. Great event, with lots of good trails, awesome prizes. I 'm disappointed to have to bail, but oh well, next year year.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Report. Epic Fail. My daughters caught made it into my lungs while we camped in the cold rain. I couldn't breath deep without Hugh coughing fits.i One of which sent me into a tree. I dropped out at aid#2 to save my health, 2 of my friends in steamboat had this morph into pneumonia, andI don't want that. Have to try again next year. My wife did this as her first 50 miler, had a blast sothat's a plus. Great event, with lots of good trails, awesome prizes. I 'm disappointed to have to bail, but oh well, next year year.
    Sorry to hear of your illness. Too bad, too.

It was a fun race and chilly this year for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can't call my race a fail, but I certainly had lots of mistakes that I knew better and shouldn't have made. Also had a chest cold show up the night prior to the race so that limited the output somewhat.

I think that my biggest surprise was how my lack of endurance racing this year screwed with my head after aid station #1. I purposely delayed racing this year so I wouldn't be burned out. However, when the going got tough, I gave in a little and had thoughts on how to "salvage" a good result. In hindsight, and looking at Strava stats, I was still in it and could have pushed through to be closer to my goal time. Still happy with the finish and 20th in the age group, just wish I would have known it at the time and pushed a little harder.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I can't call my race a fail, but I certainly had lots of mistakes that I knew better and shouldn't have made. Also had a chest cold show up the night prior to the race so that limited the output somewhat.

I think that my biggest surprise was how my lack of endurance racing this year screwed with my head after aid station #1. I purposely delayed racing this year so I wouldn't be burned out. However, when the going got tough, I gave in a little and had thoughts on how to "salvage" a good result. In hindsight, and looking at Strava stats, I was still in it and could have pushed through to be closer to my goal time. Still happy with the finish and 20th in the age group, just wish I would have known it at the time and pushed a little harder.
    Hindsight doesn't count!

Nice race, T!!! The mind game and continuing to push is a huge one for sure.

I'm not calling mine a fail either as I did trim time from my previous attempt. I did find it easy to settle in behind other racers and ride at their pace during hours 2-4, rather than pushing through at what I know I can do. However, my fear of blowing up riding at the longer duration held me back from tapping into the top end as much as I do in an XC race because I don't have that much experience going race pace for 5+ hours.

So, yes, hindsight for me would probably be to walk away with the lesson that next time I should keep the push on a bit more than I did in the middle hours of the race. And, of course, train for that. RAGBRAI experience at least helped me be able to digest a beer and bacon before the final section.

That being said, it was a great ride and well worth the effort no matter what the end result was.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The weather sat night really made me nervous for what Sun had in store for us but besides a little chilly start you couldn't really have asked for a better day to do a long endurance race, a little sun would have been nice but visibility was still OK. I carry the small camelback and it basically took the whole course to polish it off. I was really happy with my finish, shaved over an hour and 20 min off last years time to finish around 5 hours, can't wait until next years race. The other guys in my group that were behind me said a gal went down hard between the first and second aid station, sounded like she was unconscious and could have had pretty serious head trauma. Anyone else hear about it? Hope it all turned out OK.

mtbr member
    My neighbor in the campground was close when the girl fell, said she had some head trauma, and they brought in a chopper and lifted her out.