Cover your rear- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cover your rear

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Cover your rear

Chamois brand/model preferences for 3+ hour rides/races?

Cream?

I've got good experiences with Castelli. Longer rides get Morgan Blue hard cream applied to the pad, with some Assos cream on my....well...assos.

mtbr member
    I don't know man. I've been able to get away with pretty much any chamois in whatever bibs I'm wearing: Garneau, Champion Systems, Castelli, Performance. Probably have liked the Garneau the most.

As for cream, I use Chamois Butter, but only once a year at LJ. I don't like the sloppy, slimy feel I get from it. So most of the time (all of the time) I just don't use it. Gooch of steel? I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    team kits are by Jakroo and the chamois is nice and thin. Dries well (or seems to) but the stitching on the bibs is delicate (really my only gripe). Really liked the upper end Pactimo stuff (but ~3yrs or more old so I can't find out what they were, sorry). I'm just glad that most of the new stuff isn't too diaper like.

anyhow, I LOVE the morgan blue solid creme but only use that for 24hrs or if I anticipate rain. That stuff needs to be washed twice IMO. Otherwise, I don't use any.

I am Walt
    Chamois Butt'r...all the time for long rides and races
    Ride more; post less...

It ain't easy being Green
    My absolute favorite chamois was the Capo that used to come with my team kit, I could ride all day in those bibs; they switched to Garneau recently and that's pretty decent too but not the same. For butt cream I'm a cheap bastard, I use stuff called Udderly Smooth, it's good for the dry conditions that I normally race in and lasts at least five hours; if it's wet or humid (or if there's a freebie in the race packet) I'll splurge and use Chamois Butt'r.

mtbr member
    We have nice LG shorts that have been comfortable for long events.

I'm a Chamois Butt'r guy, too.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Not fussy on shorts as long as the chamois isn't too bulky. For 100s I use one of two old pair of PI shorts just because they've never given me trouble, and I'm a bit superstitious.

Hardly ever use cream. When I do, it's usually Hammer because they put it in little tubes, and one lasts me over a year.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Bag balm or Aquaphor
    So many chamois to choice from. The fit of the bibs makes a bigger difference for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Our team kits have traditionally been from Sugoi with the highest level chamois. We tried JL Velo for one year and I did not like the chamois nearly as much. On long rides I use Chamois Butt'r

Rides all the bikes!
    Never tried creams. Haven't noticed a difference with shorts. 12 hours on a hard tail is 12 hours on a hard tail...

mtbr member
    Capo bibs now for 5 years of 100 milers. No creams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    No creamers: ever had trouble with sores? Cream seems to help my rear fight off nasty saddle sores.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    No creamers: ever had trouble with sores? Cream seems to help my rear fight off nasty saddle sores.
    I've used chamois cream maybe 2 times in my life. Hate the feeling of it, never had chaffing or saddle sores.

I've been riding in DNA kits for the past 4 or so years. Love them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    About a year ago I was using Castelli with the Progetto pad and Craft with whatever their top'o'line pad is (C3 infinity or something). I was doing 6-7hr outdoor rides and 4hr rides on the trainer with them. Both are pretty thick and plush but ultimately the Castelli was much more comfortable.

I had a pair of Pearl Izumis Quest or Attack or something and scored a pair of their high end "Pro" line shorts on a 50% off sale. Initially I was skeptical about such a thin, minimal shammy, but over time, it has definitely won out and became my go to short. So while I do still ride my Castelli progetto chamis, I probably won't be buying more unless there's a sale, and I prefer the thinner style now. I also like that Pearl is/used to be a little bit lower key with the crazy ass branding and colors (their 2017 color options on shorts is regrettable to say the least).

So, in other words, I think you've got to find one you like - my recommendation is to buy high end shorts on sale during shoulder seasons. I've never ridden a high end short that fit my body that was a "bad" short. That said, I'm certainly happier with some than others and that just takes a good bit of saddle time.

As for chamois cream, I use Bepanthen diaper cream. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure that a chamois cream is absolutely necessary if you've found the ideal chammy for your butt, but the cream is pretty cheap, widely available and designed to help with chafing/rubbing issues on skin much more sensitive than mine. I used to use Chamois Butt'r and had even picked up a tub of the Assos stuff, but, honestly, can't tell a difference between those and Bepanthen.

If you have to ask...
    My favorite bibs for long days in the saddle are my Castellis, but most high end pads are pretty good these days.

My chamois cream of choice for extremely hard events is white Tiger Balm. I've tried the red, but it just doesn't work for me.

Seriously, I'm not picky about chamois lubes, either. My current choice is Mad Alchemy, but I've used Butt'r, Chamois Sammy, Assos... they all work.
    It's 7:09 California time

mtbr member

Cover your rear

Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    I use a little baby powder but never trouble with sores. Only problem otherwise was a wet chamois during a 2 hour downpour at the Breck 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Louis Garneau or Pearl Izumi for good budget bibs. Noxzema for the soft stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Chamois Butt'r...all the time for long rides and races
    This, and the longer the ride, the more aggressive the chamois that I need it seems (as in more padded). I've been doing 50-100 mile races more frequently and a good chamois+butter and I never think about my a$$ during the race, any anything you don't think about during such a race over that much time (like yesterday's 60 miler) is working perfectly.

For my last 100 miler, I went and bought a nice triathalon set of shorts, the chamois is fairly large and nicely padded, worked awesome.

I find that on shorter rides, the chamois isn't nearly as critical and I can go without, but those longer rides can really tear your a$$ up and generous butter on a decent chamois is the way to go.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    from my experience if you train without the butters it toughens up the grundle a little. a good daily commute does wonders to toughen you up down there!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just got a pair of POC shorts and the chamois is amazing for log rides.

I am also a fan of Assoss chamois cream, applied more liberally depending on the length of the ride.

EAT MORE GRIME
    back in the day the only way I could survive 230 mile road rides was about a full ice cream scoop worth on my grundle and worked into the shorts. quite a sloppy greasy mess but the last thing bitching on these death marches was my cooch.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    back in the day the only way I could survive 230 mile road rides was about a full ice cream scoop worth on my grundle and worked into the shorts. quite a sloppy greasy mess but the last thing bitching on these death marches was my cooch.
    Nothin worse than a bitchin' cooch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Cream... DZ Nuts Pro works for me.
    TTUB - Ventura County California