Cooked my bacon yesterday... advice please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Cooked my bacon yesterday... advice please.

I hadn't raced in a while and I was using a local 4hr for practice if you will. I have a 50 miler on the 15th that I have been gearing up for. My intention was to use the 4hr as a light training ride. Well, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." First lap I had a solid crash thanks to someone who stopped in the middle of the trail for unknown reasons. Then my crank arm came loose so I had to walk back about 3 miles to the staging are to fix it. Then had to retrace 3-4 miles. The first lap that I was looking to do in about 45 min, took me 1:30.

Like a dummy I tried to make up time and short story long, I blew up pretty bad. Last lap, was filled with cramps and nausea. I was in one of those "dark places" I often hear about form other races. 100 degree temps weren't helping either. This morning I feel like a bus hit me. Obviously, everyone reacts/recovers differently but will this affect me 2 weeks out from my other race? Should I stay away from high intensity rides? Kind of a 2 week taper or just sell my bike and take up golf?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

livin' the dream......
    Don't sell the bike and take up golf.....

You learned some good lessons here that should help you in your 50. First, stick to your plan and ride your race, no matter what happens. Second, if your race is going to be in the same weather conditions, review how you hydrated, and maybe increase your electrolytes for the 50. Third, maybe one more short, hard effort in a few days, once you feel like you are up to it. With a two week window, I don't think you are going to make any real gains in fitness, so just do some easy spins and enjoy your race.

Good luck!
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    doping
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What were you planning on doing these 2 weeks before your 50? Go for an easy spin tomorrow...you might feel fine by Wednesday. Or you might not. Few of us have the clairvoyance to know what your fitness is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasSingleSpeed View Post
    What were you planning on doing these 2 weeks before your 50? Go for an easy spin tomorrow...you might feel fine by Wednesday. Or you might not. Few of us have the clairvoyance to know what your fitness is.
    Thanks for taking the time to say you don't know.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Don't sell the bike and take up golf.....

You learned some good lessons here that should help you in your 50. First, stick to your plan and ride your race, no matter what happens. Second, if your race is going to be in the same weather conditions, review how you hydrated, and maybe increase your electrolytes for the 50. Third, maybe one more short, hard effort in a few days, once you feel like you are up to it. With a two week window, I don't think you are going to make any real gains in fitness, so just do some easy spins and enjoy your race.

Good luck!
    Yeah, that. Lessons that hurt are the lessons you remember.

I'd take a couple days off and ease back into riding at moderate efforts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Did you blow up or was your hydration and nutrition way off? Sounds like maybe you needed more gas in the tank, especially if you feel really cooked the next day...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Did you blow up or was your hydration and nutrition way off? Sounds like maybe you needed more gas in the tank, especially if you feel really cooked the next day...
    This occurred to me as well, it was the hottest race I've ever done by far and I don't think I was ready for it. I'm feeling a lot better this evening. I'm gonna do a few recovery rides then stick to my "plan" for the rest of the week. My race on the 15th will be in CO. So better weather, less oxygen. Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    First off, you don't need to sell your bike to take up golf. You can do both!

My armchair analysis is heat and chasing too hard. Don't let it get in your head. Go back to your plan once you recover.

My endurance motto: The week before an endurance race is too late to gain anything, but leaves plenty of time to eff things up by going too hard!

Report back, please!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    100 degree temps weren't helping either. This morning I feel like a bus hit me. Obviously, everyone reacts/recovers differently but will this affect me 2 weeks out from my other race? Should I stay away from high intensity rides? Kind of a 2 week taper or just sell my bike and take up golf?
    Sounds like the temp played a large role in it. If you are used to training in a certain temp range, and it swings 10+ degrees higher cone race day, that has a HUGE bearing. Fluids and electrolytes. I know a few people who have said Salt Stick or Endurolytes have saved their arses in times like that.

As for recovery, go for a long SUPER EASY spin. I'm talking, flat tourist paved path spin. Spinning after an effort like that should help... with lots of water.

Elitest thrill junkie
    50 miles in 100 degrees is going to be brutal for most anyone. Generally, when it's that hot, I tend to limit my ride distance, whereas I don't usually shy away from putting in 50 miles in a day. Electrolytes are going to be critical, as well as staving off cramps, you are going to have to find out what works best for you, potassium, sodium, etc., how to deliver it, etc. Some people can "sprint" 50 miles when they are in good shape, with minimal hydration and energy, in other words they are skin and bones and just way way more efficient than most of us. If you try to ride like them, not just in terms of speed, bu in terms of nutrition, you will blow up.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for taking the time to say you don't know.
    You're welcome. Now, unless you provide more details, such as the unknowns I've pointed out, all the best any of us can do is take a stab in the dark. And then what good is that...inconclusive advice based on a lack of information?

So, what was your game plan for the next 2 weeks? If you had no gameplan and you were just going to ride by feel leading up to your event, then carry on. Your last three sentences of your original post suggest exactly this (i.e. you have no plan), which is perfectly fine if you have a solid base and know how your body responds and recovers from hard efforts like you've described.

If you don't know how your body responds, then go for an easy spin and see how you feel, gauge your recovery, and go from there. If you actually had a gameplan to taper into your next race, then adjust accordingly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Your symptoms sound very much like heat exhaustion. If you also found that you were irritable, your speech was muddled, and your heart rate was higher than normal for the effort level, it's probably a good bet. Ease back into your normal routine and focus on getting the hydration back up. If your urine was clear/pale yellow then you fell behind on salts. If it was dark, you fell behind on water. You didn't damage any of your prep for your 50, 2 weeks is plenty time to get back on track.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks everyone. Monday I did a recovery ride and my urine stopped looking like a pint of Guinness. Today I did my hill repeats at 100% of my FTP and felt pretty good. Looking back and taking everyones comments into consideration, I think it was mostly heat/nutrition with a little overextending myself after I fell behind. I'll report back after my "race."

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks everyone. Monday I did a recovery ride and my urine stopped looking like a pint of Guinness. Today I did my hill repeats at 100% of my FTP and felt pretty good. Looking back and taking everyones comments into consideration, I think it was mostly heat/nutrition with a little overextending myself after I fell behind. I'll report back after my "race."
    Agree that heat was undoubtedly an issue. Get some rides in with similar temperatures can make a huge difference and help your body adapt ahead of time.

Prehydrating on a day like that is also key. I usually take something like Hammer Endurlytes Extreme about 30 - 40 minutes before heading out for a ride in the high temps. During riding I use Skratch but sometimes supplement with additional Endulytes if very hot. I also weigh myself after to see how dehydrated I am and continue to take some electrolytes in. On a really hot, long day it really is amazing how much fluid deficit you can have despite drinking a ton.