mtbr member

Contact Lense Wearers, Help

This weekend is the 24 hours of Rocky Hill in Smithville Texas and it will be my first 24 hour race. To all you that wear contacts and experience with 24 hour events, what are some tips to keeping eye balls happy? Just use plenty of rewetting drops??

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I haven't done any 24 hour events, but I have had trouble with my contacts on longer rides. I absolutely need well fitted sunglasses to keep the wind off.

I've recenttly switched from monthly lenses to 'one day' lenses. These tend to last me a week of normal use (making them slightly more economical than the monthlys), but are cheap enough that if one starts causing trouble on a ride, I can just toss it and put a new one in. Possibly quicker than messing round with eye drops.

Foreign Entity
    Sunglasses with clear lenses to keep junk out your eyes as much as possible.

Take spare lenses if you can, you will be wishing for them.

I just did 24 hours of GA and used disposable lenses which I junked after 3 laps and put a fresh pair in.

mtbr member
    new lenses defiantly makes a difference over just drops. I have month wear but even after a long day they just dry up and no matter how much i rewet them they are uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have raced several 24 and 12 hour races and what works best for me is to have perscription sunglasses for the daytime (Oakleys are great) and then switch to contacts with clear lens glasses at night.
    This way during all the daytime stuff your eyes will be fine and then only have to deal with the contacts at night.
    I got a pair of perscription oakleys with a light tint and they are spot on. I only use them to ride in.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate all of the imput.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by panther1 View Post
    I have raced several 24 and 12 hour races and what works best for me is to have perscription sunglasses for the daytime (Oakleys are great) and then switch to contacts with clear lens glasses at night.
    This way during all the daytime stuff your eyes will be fine and then only have to deal with the contacts at night.
    I got a pair of perscription oakleys with a light tint and they are spot on. I only use them to ride in.

Hope this helps
    I do just the opposite. Contacts and Oakleys with tinted lenses during the day. Then I ditch the contacts and switch to my Oakleys with pescription clear lenses for the night. It's a major relief to your eyes and clarity is so much better seeing through the pescription lenses during the night opposed to contacts.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Wear eye protection at all times, keeps junk out of your eyes and keeps them from drying out. Re-wetting solution from time to time and then I change to a fresh pair at some time deep into the event. Feels real nice.

Dreaming of single-track.
    Along with clear Oakleys that I wear at all times - I have disposable contacts - so I switch lenses every 8 hours or so. Like someone cleaning my windows! I also keep a small bottle of saline solution handy in the pits in case I need to rinse or dig something out.
    Michael.
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a set of Rudy Project glasses with changeable lenses and a prescription insert. I run the tinted lenses during the day and switch them out for clear lenses at night. The insert clips in behind the lens.

likes to ride bikes
    I love the one-day contacts. I wear glasses when I'm training except for big MTB rides and the one-days for racing. Probably the best thing for your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgeboar View Post
    I haven't done any 24 hour events, but I have had trouble with my contacts on longer rides. I absolutely need well fitted sunglasses to keep the wind off.

I've recenttly switched from monthly lenses to 'one day' lenses. These tend to last me a week of normal use (making them slightly more economical than the monthlys), but are cheap enough that if one starts causing trouble on a ride, I can just toss it and put a new one in. Possibly quicker than messing round with eye drops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Team or solo? I use daily lenses. A fresh pair before the first lap, good glasses over them. Re-wetting drops in between naps. I've used 1 pair for 12 hour rides with no major issues, other than having to flush some mud out occasionally.

I've lost probably 2 lenses while riding over 40 years, but like to have a spare set handy just in case.

Also, to see anything within arms length, I carry a pair of reading glasses in case I have to fix anything...

If you're doing 24 solo, hope you've trained with them. I would think if you use good glasses, including at night and drops periodically, you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Well I ended using and having great luck with the daily use lenses. I was able to use only one set and never had any issues. With the rotaion our team (of 4) was using, I took them out on my big breaks and on my smaller one just rewetted them and they did great. I have Oakleys and a pair of Rudy Projects and have looked in to getting a RX insert for the Rudy Projects. It seems like a very sensible thing to do compaired to the price it would cost to get persciption Oakleys.

Thanks for all the imput guys! The race and the weekend were a big learning experience for me.

Btw.. Our team ended up 4th out of the 11 finishing teams and we completed 23 laps. Not bad for four guys who have never race a 24 hr event before and who had very little night riding experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153 View Post
    Wear eye protection at all times, keeps junk out of your eyes and keeps them from drying out. Re-wetting solution from time to time and then I change to a fresh pair at some time deep into the event. Feels real nice.
    Bingo.