paintbucket

Cohutta 100 and Epic 35 Mile MTB Race

Thought I'd get the word out on this. From another board:

Come join New Leaf Adventures for one of the most challenging and rewarding races the south has to offer. Starting at the beautiful Ocoee Whitewater Center in Ducktown, Tennessee, the race course is 100 mile single loop around the Cohutta Wilderness Area in the Cherokee and Chattahoochee National Forests. The race returns to the Whitewater Center to finish. This race will define mountain biking with roughly 14,000 feet of elevation gain and beautiful scenery. The course will cover most of the Tanasi trail system at the Whitewater Center and the gravel roads to complete the loop around the Cohuttas.
    The 100-mile will start promptly at 7:00am. The 100-mile event will have six aid stations, each managed by a different bike shop. Racers will have the chance to vote on their favorite aid station. The winning aid station will win a cash prize.
    There will also be a shorter 35-mile race that will cover the trails at the White Water Center. This race will start at 7:00am with the longer event. 35-mile race will have one aid station and no drop offs.
    CHARITY:
    The American Association of Adaptive Sports is an organization that helps handicap kids get the equipment and coaching they need to participate in the sports they love. Their motto is: "off the sidelines, into the game.” Please check out their web site at AdaptedSports.org
    AWARDS:
    For the 100: Top 10 male finishers, Top 5 female finishers, Top 5 single speed finishers.
    For the 35: Top 5 male finishers, Top 5 female finishers.
    The awards are unique handmade trophies and some sponsor prizes
    DATE:
    Saturday, April 22, 2006

http://www.newleafadventures.com
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

giddy up!
    This is veryveryveryveryvery exciting!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    This is veryveryveryveryvery exciting!

B
    Yeah, I'm psyched to have more enduro options in the southeast. The 12/24hr format doesn't do a lot for me. The Cohutta date of April 22 is pretty busy though. There's a 12hr here in SC, and I think there's one in NC on that date as well. That or a GA State series XC race. Plus the Tour de Georgia will be ongoing.

giddy up!
    I'll likely be there:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I might be there, I think that's the same day as a local 6 hour race here in N.C....

Category Winner
    12 hour in NC?
    Where?

I got to start talking to the wife soon. That 100 miler sounds soooooo good.
    Awfully close to the PMBAR, so it may be a hard sell.

Sometimes I hate you guys for even bringing things up.

How long has this race been going on?? Is this the first year?
    Last edited by teamdicky; 01-27-2006 at 06:33 AM.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    How long has this race been going on?? Is this the first year?
    Yup. First year. There's a pretty long thread on the SORBA board about it.

I checked ride424.com and couldn't find an NC race so I could be wrong. Maybe I'm thinking of the stage race in FL.

Category Winner
    I have to wait for an email to jump in on the SORBA thread. Is the race really mostly 75% gravel?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I don't know of a 12 hour in N.C. The 6 hours is the 6 hours of San Lee put on by the Triangle Cyclopaths. Should be a good, fun race. It'll be a good warm up for the Pisgah Mountain bike adventure race. But man, that race in Ten. is VERY tempting. How do we get in on this SORBA thread action?

mtbr member
    whoa, that race looks fun

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc
    How do we get in on this SORBA thread action?
    http://sorba.org/modules.php?name=Fo...ewtopic&t=5685

TD, I've never been there so I don't know how much singletrack vs fireroad there is. I do know that a bunch of folks have been clamoring for a longer race in this part of the southeast though, so I think its worth supporting for that reason alone. Seems like there's a multi-lap event every other weekend sometimes, but big loops are few and far between.

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    I have to wait for an email to jump in on the SORBA thread. Is the race really mostly 75% gravel?
    It will be a lot of forest road. The route starts at the Tanasi trail system near Ducktown, TN, which has some sweet single track. Then it will head off on forest roads around the Cohutta and Big Frog wilderness areas. That section will prolly be about 65 miles of forest roads. I like the forest road through there, very remote, lots of stuff on top of ridges so you get some views and big, big rollers. There is potenial for couple long climbs depending on which direction they choose around the wilderness areas. Unfortunately we can not ride in the wildness...otherwise we'd have a 100 mile backwoods singletrack ride on our hands. Anyway, the course will finish up with some more single track around Tanasi.

I've got my eye on some other routes, but have not come up with 100 miles so good on them for doing it. Too bad it's a week before the TI 2.0...I may have to opt for the short route or a long slow day.

Eddie

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This WILL BE a first class Race. The folks putting this event on are Endurance Athletes themselves and both LIVE and RIDE in the North Georgia Mtns. Top Five Single Speed....SWEET thanks ya'all
    Last edited by browser; 01-27-2006 at 01:04 PM.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    I'm signed up for the 100 miler. Close to home. 3 hrs away, I don't have to chase my tail on a 8 mile loop for 12-24 hrs. Thats what I'm talking about. See all of you there.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

yo eddie

You helping to put this thing on??? I'm guessing there will be more info forthcoming on the website, but any chance of of post ride meal and copious amounts of cold keg beer?? I couldn't figure out if there was like a huge central area that would allow for camping at the start/finish. anyway, any more info would be awesome. Nick

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Theres been a little confusion on the site.
    The 100 miler is $135
    The Epic 35 mile route is $40

Jeremy

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by nk23423
    copious amounts of cold keg beer?? Nick
    I'm sure I can get Terrapin Beer to pitch in a keg or two and we can keep it cold in the river -- old skool 'frig! There is a camping area at TVA dam #2, I think it's Thunder Rock Campground but I could be wrong.

Charles
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    I'm sure I can get Terrapin Beer to pitch in a keg or two and we can keep it cold in the river -- old skool 'frig! There is a camping area at TVA dam #2, I think it's Thunder Rock Campground but I could be wrong.

Charles
    Sorry to break the news but possession of alcohol is highly illegal in that area and is sought after by the local police. They will take you to jail in a heartbeat over a couple of beers. I highly recommend leaving any brew at home or well disguised in the area. As well the neighboring campground (thunder rock) at Ocoee #2 is heavily patrolled by law enforcement, they even search trashcans in the night. A great camping or cabin rental alterative is OAR (http://www.raft.com/accommodations.htm) not far away and very laid back scene.

I plan to participate in this event, the Ocoee area is my backyard. I ride their about once a week through the summer and have played on the river there for years. I will be interested to see what type of course they come up with. Seams like it will have to be predominantly gravel road to get the mileage.

Category Winner

Hey

Is it a piss poor plan to think I can just drive to the race start Friday night, park, and sleep in the back off my Element? It is sounding like the Gestapo patrols the area.
    Anybody already have better sleeping plans?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    The only camp ground close to the start (Thunder Rock approximately ¼ mile away) is usually about full on Friday evenings that time of year when no bike race is going on. This campground is also the closest thing to the river at what is probably the most popular white water destination in the eastern US. Besides Thunder Rock there are Forest Service campgrounds at the base of and on top of Chilhowie Mountain and at the base of Big Frog mountain. Just about every major rafting company in the area has some sort of campground also.

one less car

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    The only camp ground close to the start (Thunder Rock approximately ¼ mile away) is usually about full on Friday evenings that time of year when no bike race is going on. This campground is also the closest thing to the river at what is probably the most popular white water destination in the eastern US. Besides Thunder Rock there are Forest Service campgrounds at the base of and on top of Chilhowie Mountain and at the base of Big Frog mountain. Just about every major rafting company in the area has some sort of campground also.
    this race looks sweet. posted this question on sorba boards, no answer: any suggestions on where to camp? where a couple honest citizens can drink their reward w/o concern? along the river maybe? coming down from new england, don't know diddly 'bout the area, any help appreciated.

Category Winner
    Is it a piss poor plan to think I can just drive to the race start Friday night, park, and sleep in the back off my Element? It is sounding like the Gestapo patrols the area.
    Anybody already have better sleeping plans?
    Anyone?? Bueller?? Boy, all I hear are crickets. I am all but thinking about going, but I am not looking forward to officer friendly tapping on my glass at 4:00 am telling me to move.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Dicky & whittij,
    I'm not real sure about answers for either of you, but I'll ask around get back ASAP.

Eddie O
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by namrita
    Dicky & whittij,
    I'm not real sure about answers for either of you, but I'll ask around get back ASAP.

Eddie O
    that is mighty cool of ya' - thank ya.

mtbr member

map???

Is there a map of the 100mi? I can't seem to find one on the website or at sorba.org. I am starting to get fired up about this one; I just don't know if I can beat the 12 hour time limit or the $135 entry fee. Cheers, CK
    Truffle Shuffle

paintbucket
    Have any of y'all asking these questions tried contacting the organizer directly?

New Leaf Adventures
    96 Craig Street
    Suite 112-301
    East Ellijay, Georgia 30540
    (404) 217-0041
    bb@newleafadventures.com

Category Winner

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Have any of y'all asking these questions tried contacting the organizer directly?

New Leaf Adventures
    96 Craig Street
    Suite 112-301
    East Ellijay, Georgia 30540
    (404) 217-0041
    bb@newleafadventures.com
    Aw c'mon. The best place for info is heresay, rumors, and conjecture on public forums.
    Man, wher ehave you been.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

paintbucket
    Sorry. I get my info from the Onion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Sorry. I get my info from the Onion.

There is plenty of camping in the area, just not much at the Whitewater Center. Chilhowee (mtb heaven) is right down the road from OWWC maybe 7miles or so, lots of camping. Chattanooga/SORBA holds a mountain bike festival there every year around fall time. I do know there are some bad a$$ trails there and they should be on your list to ride if you gonna be around for a few days. There is Sylco Campground, just up the 45, also not very far from OWWC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New question here. cut off time for the 100

Does anyone know what the cut off time is for the 100? thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supshaw
    Does anyone know what the cut off time is for the 100? thanks in advance
    The time limit is 12 hours for the 100 miler... I can't decide if thats enough time for me to complete the race. That and the $135 entry fee might keep me from riding.
    Truffle Shuffle

H8 H8 H8

Ducktown Copper Inn

10 minutes from the race, $49 per night.

(423) 496-5541

I gots mine !

ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    10 minutes from the race, $49 per night.
    (423) 496-5541
    I gots mine !ZB
    Hey yo,
    You looking for roomies? I am still on the fence about entering until I find a place to stay. Not sure I want to throw down $200 (gas, room, entry) so I am looking at cost cutting. I have NO ONE coming with me. Bunch of Charlotte nancy boys.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

H8 H8 H8

Motel

Hey yo,
    You looking for roomies? I am still on the fence about entering until I find a place to stay. Not sure I want to throw down $200 (gas, room, entry) so I am looking at cost cutting. I have NO ONE coming with me. Bunch of Charlotte nancy boys.
    I've already got two dirtbags sharing the room with me, and my girlfriend might
    be coming as well. Any more and the Fire Marshall might get pissed.

I would imagine that you could probably get another room crew scared up on the board
    here. Hot showers and peaceful beer drinking are powerful incentives.

See you there.

ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    I've already got two dirtbags sharing the room with me, and my girlfriend might
    be coming as well. Any more and the Fire Marshall might get pissed.

I would imagine that you could probably get another room crew scared up on the board
    here. Hot showers and peaceful beer drinking are powerful incentives.

See you there.

ZB

Cool. I was hoping to just drive to the start Friday and park/sleep in my Element. Sounds like the local five-O runs a tight ship and I don't want to hear a "tap-tap" at 3:45am.
    I probably just need to fish or get off the pot for this race.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Nope. I have nothing to do with this one ...though many of my ideas seem to have mysteriously made into this event. No worries, just glad to see some could get an epic together up there.

Eddie O

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Sorry guys. I had to hed to FL for a family ordeal and haven't been up that way. Just give the promoter a call....

Eddie O

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Ducktown Copper Inn; sounds like its filling up. I called in my reservations last night for Friday and Saturday nights, $49 a night as BrouSSard said. The lady asked me what was going on that weekend as she had several people before me call in thier reservations. I called a couple of other places, just to see and most are $89 and up.

Jeremy

giddy up!
    Count me in. I'll be fliying in from CA on Friday.

Looking forward to it.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Category Winner
    Count me in. I'll be fliying in from CA on Friday.
    Looking forward to it.
    B

Flying in from the foreign nation of California? This is turning into an international affair.
    Jeepers.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    It's official......I'm in for the C-100! Looking forward to this backyard race.

I hear Mark Hendershot is coming down as well.

Eddie O

Category Winner
    [QUOTE=Eddie O]It's official......I'm in for the C-100! Looking forward to this backyard race.

Eddie O[/QUOTE

You SS'ing it or running with the devil?
    May have five in the room now (Taylor S).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    [QUOTE=teamdicky]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O
    It's official......I'm in for the C-100! Looking forward to this backyard race.

Eddie O[/QUOTE

You SS'ing it or running with the devil?
    May have five in the room now (Taylor S).
    ...the devil most likely, but I'm undecided still.

I forget what the deal with the room was....are we all sharing or did you reserve more than one room?

Did you get my email about the Pisgah ride?

Eddie O

Category Winner
    [QUOTE=Eddie O]
    ...the devil most likely, but I'm undecided still.
    I forget what the deal with the room was....are we all sharing or did you reserve more than one room?
    Did you get my email about the Pisgah ride?
    Eddie O
    I got one room, two double beds, $49 a night.
    I got the email. I did a similar ride with Jeremy last year. I am trying to get my PMBAR partner to consider going. Thanks for the heads up, and it got forwarded to Karen.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Eddie, Dicky are you guys in for the Goat Ride? Email me if so. Keeping it a faster group this time Dicky. Can't wait for the Cohutta. Its even gotten me to get the road bike out again for the training.

Jeremy

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Eddie, Dicky are you guys in for the Goat Ride? Email me if so. Keeping it a faster group this time Dicky. Can't wait for the Cohutta. Its even gotten me to get the road bike out again for the training.
    Jeremy
    So that thing we did last year was the Goat?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    So that thing we did last year was the Goat?

If I had a nickle for every......

Eddie O

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O
    If I had a nickle for every......
    Eddie O
    First out loud laugh of the day,
    Thanks
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

giddy up!
    Help me out here fellas...

I'm getting ready to box up my bike for the trip out....and the last final detail/decision is tires.

What's the singletrack like? Rocks?

What tires will ya'll be rolling on next saturday?

I'm getting excited.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Category Winner
    Help me out here fellas...
    I'm getting ready to box up my bike for the trip out....and the last final detail/decision is tires.
    What's the singletrack like? Rocks?
    What tires will ya'll be rolling on next saturday?
    I'm getting excited.
    B
    I have heard the singletrack is not TOO technical. I will be running my UST Diesel 2.5 and a 2.0 UST Hutch Scorpion. I was working on on my "What crap am I gonna carry and how?" tonight. There's gonna be a lot of gravel.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

giddy up!
    I have heard the singletrack is not TOO technical. I will be running my UST Diesel 2.5 and a 2.0 UST Hutch Scorpion. I was working on on my "What crap am I gonna carry and how?" tonight. There's gonna be a lot of gravel.
    Alrighty, I'm all set.

Maxxis Ignitor front, WTB Nano rear. 29" of course.

As for the gear carrying situation.....I'll be starting out with everything I need for the day, except for water. Aid bags need to be dropped off Friday night and I just won't have time to make it down there....soo....no aid bags for me.

Does anybody have a clue as to how many riders are signed up?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Category Winner
    Alrighty, I'm all set.
    Maxxis Ignitor front, WTB Nano rear. 29" of course.
    As for the gear carrying situation.....I'll be starting out with everything I need for the day, except for water. Aid bags need to be dropped off Friday night and I just won't have time to make it down there....soo....no aid bags for me.
    Does anybody have a clue as to how many riders are signed up?
    B
    When are you getting in? Are you staying nearby? Barb (at New Leaf) offered to work something out with me when my original plan was to get there kinda late. We are staying in a local hotel and she had a plan. I ended up taking the whole day off so we will be getting there plenty early.
    No idea how many racers, but last week I asked a bunch of enduro type riders I was with if they were going and the general concensus was "yes". Even Mark Hendershot said he was going to be there.
    Tire choice: I always figured a neat part about 29'er riding (presently) is that there weren't too many tire choices so you wouldn't have to think about it too much. If I went to big wheels I figured I would run an Exi/Ignitor combo and glue 'em on (Stan's).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

giddy up!
    I'll be leaving LA at 6am friday morning....arriving in nashville at 2pm. Then we'll(myself and Leslie, aka Madre) be hopping in a rental car and heading to Carol Ann's place in Knoxville where we'll be staying for the night. We're just planning on getting up early saturday morning and heading down.

We'll be leaving sunday night at 7 or soo.

Whirlwind!

As for packet pickup....yeah, Barb was very accomodating and is going to keep our packets at the start for us on saturday morning.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    What's this course like when it's wet?

mtbr member
    How was the race? Stories? ect...
    Truffle Shuffle

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla
    How was the race? Stories? ect...
    Over here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=185224