Can't train, won't train.- Mtbr.com
    Grip it and rip it.

Can't train, won't train.

Well that's how I feel now .

Nothing physically wrong with me. After the big race I was building up to all year got cancelled (same boat as a lot of others with the WSC 24), I haven't found the motivation. I don't want to dig up a can of worms with the whole WSC 24 thing as I've put it to bed. But I don't have any other races entered in for this year, and I find it very hard to train if I don't know what I'm training for.
    There is/was a 24 in the first week of October I could maybe get to, but the logistics/planning would still be a night-mare, and I also found it hard getting my head around the idea of entering and getting mentally prepared for a different 24.

At the same time I don't want to lose all my fitness gains from the season, but the thought that my next big race might not be until April 2013 is making the idea of training quite hard right now.

Well i'm in Whistler in Canada where Ive been for nearly a year, and I've been really enjoying doing downhill biking in the bike park, I'm here for another three weeks and kind of just want to have fun on the trails! Thats the positive side of it that appeared for me anyway as I probably wouldn't have done downhill much if i was still training for a big race.

Not sure what I'm after here in terms of feedback or advice or suggestions, guess some people here might understand my situation. As I said before I dont want to lose all my fitness and hope to improve my results in 2013. My head is just a bit up in the air right now, not sure what to do. Any harm in taking a few weeks off training?
    Thanks.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Either find another race in the next few weeks, or call it a season and get some rest. You will really be better off taking time off and going through your winter routine. I am sure you know this, but you can't maintain your fitness level through April. Enjoy the fall, do some cross training and get back at it in Jan.

AZ
    banned
    Or take a couple of weeks and start training for the 24hrs. in the Old Pueblo.

Epic Rides : 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo : 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo Information

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    you can't maintain your fitness level through April .
    I know that's why I sort of feel in limbo. My head says its too early in the season to stop racing, but at the same time its too early to start training for a race in April. And finding it hard to think about any other races now.
    My only main worry is that I've only done two other big races this year, TR4 and a 24 solo.

And thanks for the link AZ.MTNS, but I won't be in North America anymore come February.

I'm aware there's much bigger problems in the world and I don't want people to think I'm looking for sympathy. Just wanted to get it off my chest really!

mtbr member
    Everyone is different, but if you don't feel like training, I wouldn't call Sept too early. Even if you are planning on doing cx, a week or two off would at least help mentally.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

More than a little slow
    My two cents? You've been given an opportunity to spend a bit of time off the training treadmill and work on some amazing skills. The skills will carry over and help your racing for years to come. If you keep on doing some moderate riding the fitness will come back and then some.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Why not ride for fun?
    When competition is the only drive, I think you loose sight of the whole reason biking still exists.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How about pack a rucksack, book some hostels and head off on an epic adventure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    dude, sorry your race got canned and all but you are in whistler for three weeks! You know how many mtbers would love to be there for three weeks let alone a whole year?? Go get yourself some nice BC nugs and slay some trail!

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    dude, sorry your race got canned and all but you are in whistler for three weeks! You know how many mtbers would love to be there for three weeks let alone a whole year?? Go get yourself some nice BC nugs and slay some trail!
    Yeah I hear ya, i just had another amazing day in the bike park, only my 5th day but I feel like a bit of a downhill God already haha.

And nugs??

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    life is a journey, not a destination.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    And nugs??
    nugs/nuggets: an American slang term for high grade marijuana, which BC is well known for.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I'm burnt out and have a tough 55 mile race in a couple weeks. I am doing it because it is in Oakridge, Oregon and should be awesome but I just want to cruise around and chill. I did a training ride yesterday and am going to do a casual 50 mile road ride today. I think there is some genius in doing most of a guy's races in a two month period and then chill the rest of the summer....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Dude, just go out and ride. Find a new trail!

Members who have read this thread: 0