Building up to 12s, 24s- Mtbr.com
    I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006

Building up to 12s, 24s

Looking for some input in terms of building up to the 12 and 24 hour races. This is an area I'm unsure of in trying to formulate a training plan for next year. My thoughts, as based on accepted practice, other readings, misconceptions...

-In general, 6 hour training rides are the longest you need
    -Having said that, you need a ride in the 8-10 hour range to build confidence & dial-in nutrition
    -Common wisdom holds no more than 10% increase from week to week

So if I'm gearing up for a 12, does my longest ride (week-by-week) look something like this:
    4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 12

Or more like this:
    5, 6, 7, 5, 4, 12

Ditto with the 24. How many weeks of endurance rides do you consider "enough"? How long do you maintain the long rides? 12 weeks of buildup? If I do a 12h race 10 weeks before the target 24h race, what's the best way to maintain between?

My goal is more in line with finisher than podium (as if that wasn't obvious by posting in the first place). I know that a general answer is "ride, a lot." I'm looking for what has worked better (or worse) in people's experience. Or any other comments are appreciated.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    I liked the last link, thanks! I think I'm thinking about it too much, as evidenced by the number of times I've used the word think in this sentence.

Aug 2004

Thanks for the info

I know I wasn't the one who asked, but I appreciate the info. I want to do a couple of 12 or 24 hr races next summer and the last link is a great one.

Members who have read this thread: 0