BT Epic (Berryman Trail Epic)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

BT Epic (Berryman Trail Epic)

Anyone doing it this year? I haven't seen much talk of it here for a few years, but it filled all 500 spots in about a day, so it's still popular in the middle states.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Doing it for my second year in a row, great race. I got a SS recently and debating trying to race it at BT Epic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'll be there for my second time. They throw a pretty good party... and race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roofrack View Post
    Doing it for my second year in a row, great race. I got a SS recently and debating trying to race it at BT Epic.
    Do it. I did BT Epic 2 years ago on a fixed gear 29er and had a blast. I will be there again this year on a single speed (with a freewheel this time).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'll be there for the first time this year. Moving to the KC area next week, so it will be "close." What sort of tires are you guys running? How are the aid stations? There's not much info from the promoter, so I'm not sure if it has stocked aid stations, bring your own drop bags, or fully self-supported.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    I'll be there for the first time this year. Moving to the KC area next week, so it will be "close." What sort of tires are you guys running? How are the aid stations? There's not much info from the promoter, so I'm not sure if it has stocked aid stations, bring your own drop bags, or fully self-supported.
    There are 4 aid stations; stations 1 and 3 are just water, 2 and 4 are nicely stocked. I believe aid station 2 has drop bags also. Be careful with aid station 4, it's at around the 42 mile mark and it's at the resort. A large portion of the DNF's bail at this station because it's about 20 steps from the beer tent and it's at the bottom of a massive road climb.

For tires, make sure you ride something that you are comfortable can survive small, sharp rocks. I have ridden Ardent Race's (EXO is a MUST) and Vittoria Mezcal/Barzo combo with no issue. This is definitely not a race for tires like Schwalbe or anything that's notorious for punctures. If you have ridden Arkansas and dealt with their sharp tire killing pebbles, then you know what to look out for because this is the exact same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    There are 4 aid stations; stations 1 and 3 are just water, 2 and 4 are nicely stocked. I believe aid station 2 has drop bags also. Be careful with aid station 4, it's at around the 42 mile mark and it's at the resort. A large portion of the DNF's bail at this station because it's about 20 steps from the beer tent and it's at the bottom of a massive road climb.

For tires, make sure you ride something that you are comfortable can survive small, sharp rocks. I have ridden Ardent Race's (EXO is a MUST) and Vittoria Mezcal/Barzo combo with no issue. This is definitely not a race for tires like Schwalbe or anything that's notorious for punctures. If you have ridden Arkansas and dealt with their sharp tire killing pebbles, then you know what to look out for because this is the exact same.
    Thanks for the info. I've never ridden Arkansas. I've ridden quite a bit in MD, VA, and WVA, and have been living in New Mexico for the past year. I've also ridden in the KC area a bit. I always ride EXO or GRID casings, but I was curious about the amount of traction, i.e. Ikons or DHF for example. I got to a point where I was running more tire than I really needed because I liked not having to think about tire issues. I'm now considering scaling it back a bit to try to gain a little speed.

mtbr member
    In my opinion, you really don't need a high volume big knob tire for Berryman. It's fast and flowy with the typical southern MO loose gravel, but I have always preferred something with smaller, more tightly spaced knobs like the Barzo and never had any issues down there. If Maxxis is your thing then you would be totally fine with Ikons.

I think a lot of guys run a beefier tire on front since its fairly loose, but I have never ran into any issues with washing out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good to know. I'm really looking forward to this one.

mtbr member
    This will be my 4th year @ BT. It's a great race. No need to overthink the tires as long as you have something with GOOD sidewall protection. I've used ikon, fast tracks, etc with no traction issues.
    Hoping to finally make the sub 5 time this year!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    2018 Santa Cruz Blur
    2015 Santa Cruz Highball
    2016 Jake The Snake

Brant-C.
    Got talked into this race.

First time doing this one.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.