mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Best bike for Canmore 24 hour race.

I would like to know a few things about the Canmore 24 hour WSC race. I ride and race a HT 29er but I'm thinking about building-up a 29er FS Salsa Spearfish and trying to get down to 24 or 23 lbs. I race only one race that I fell that a FS bike would be better For Me!
    so it has not been worth it yet but I have a few new races on my list this year and the Canmore is the most important one. So what is best for Canmore a;
    1. 29er HT
    2. 29er FS
    3. Having 1 & 2 there
    4. 26er FS
    5.26er HT

Also what tires are you guys and gals using up there on that course. I have been happy on the RR on the rear and a Maxis Aspen on the front I ride & race in MN.WI. MI. & Iowa
    Thank-you
    Dean.
    Last edited by idinomac; 01-18-2012 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Hmmm. It depends on what trails they will be using for this years race. Mostly the 24hrs in Canmore uses a mix of everything from double track, tight single track, flowy single track, rocks/roots, loose stuff, etc. Typical mountain riding. I ride/ race their often and have been doing so for at least 20years. I plan to take a 26er dual suspension and a ht 29er. I did race the event on a 29er dually a few years back but I don't have that bike anymore. But if I did have a 29er dually, that would be the only bike I'd take. If its muddy I use nobby nics, dry and fast-rocket ron's. Just when you've got things figured, a chick on a SS rigid blows by you. Later on you find out that she got in 6 more laps than you did. Ouch!!
    If I were you I'd prepare more for the weather. In Alberta at that time of year it could be +30C or we could be riding in the snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bikesinmud Thank-you,you are very kind! and I have seen that girl on the SS pass me at every race that I have raced.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    I would like to know a few things about the Canmore 24 hour WSC race. I ride and race a HT 29er but I'm thinking about building-up a 29er FS Salsa Spearfish and trying to get down to 24 or 23 lbs. I race only one race that I fell that a FS bike would be better For Me!
    so it has not been worth it yet but I have a few new races on my list this year and the Canmore is the most important one. So what is best for Canmore a;
    1. 29er HT
    2. 29er FS
    3. Having 1 & 2 there
    4. 26er FS
    5.26er HT

Also what tires are you guys and gals using up there on that course. I have been happy on the RR on the rear and a Maxis Aspen on the front I ride & race in MN.WI. MI. & Iowa
    Thank-you
    Dean.
    I've raced that course a few times as a 24hr Soloist, all of them have been on a FS with the exception of last year.

I raced 29'er hardtail SS all last year including the Canmore 24 Solo. Things were going pretty good in that race until I hit a tree in the middle of the night on a tight section and paramedics put me in an arm sling (lame) for a sprained wrist (did I mention lame?). This year I'm doing my first two 24 Solo's on a 29'er rigid SS, both of them are easier courses than Canmore but they should be a good test of rigid racing (as it is new to me) prior to the Canmore 24 Solo in July. Depending on how the Canmore Jul 24 Solo goes I might stay on the rigid for WSC in Sept, though I think the Canmore course will be a little too much for a rigid setup and I'll end up throwing my Terralogic back on for it.

So all of that to say, if you are used to racing 24 Solos on a 29'er HT, on really rugged courses, then go for it. I think it's definitely doable. In the perfect world I think a 29'er HT as primary and a 29'er FS as backup is the way to go.

For tires, I really like the Ikon EXO's and I think they suit Canmore. I also have athletes that have raced Ikon EXO's at the Canmore 24 Solo and did very well and they were happy with the Ikon's.

Having said that, I'm a bit concerned about all this recent noise about batches of Ikon's forming external bubbles if using sealant. I put thousands of miles on a single set of Ikon's and Stans last year and never had a problem. Fingers crossed that the new set on the way will be as good as last year's set.

Hope that helped a bit.

mtbr member
    Subscribed
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I've done the race on a 26 HT twice, a 29er HT twice, and hopefully this year on a 29er FS. 29er FS all the way. The 29er HT was good for about 60% of the course, but on the rough downhill sections, I was on the verge of being out of control to keep up with the 26 FS person I had in my sights. On the climbs and level single track, I would pass the 26 FS, but get passed myself on the choppy downhill areas. The 29er FS should be ideal for this course.

I say a 29er FS hopefully as I have the bike (2012 Anthem X29er 1), but no team. I've posted on the website as a rider looking for a team to join up with, but nothing yet....

mtbr member
    Dually. It's an awesome course and has some fairly technical sections. It's not overly bumpy-----many riders do fine on hardtails------but personally I'd like to take less of a beating with a dually. Some sections start out smooth but the whoops build up as the hours go by.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I re-read my response above, and just to be sure I made my point clearly enough, I only recommend the 29 HT if you are used to racing it on 'tough courses'. Canmore has a way of wearing you down, more than the typical 24hr course, it is a mentally challenging course if you are on a hardtail. Sections on this course that are easy lines on a FS, require a lot more of your attention on a HT, and Canmore has a lot of hard lines relative to other 24 courses I've been on. Not a big deal if you are only doing a few laps but as soon as you start heading for 15+... it gets interesting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor View Post
    I re-read my response above, and just to be sure I made my point clearly enough, I only recommend the 29 HT if you are used to racing it on 'tough courses'. Canmore has a way of wearing you down, more than the typical 24hr course, it is a mentally challenging course if you are on a hardtail. Sections on this course that are easy lines on a FS, require a lot more of your attention on a HT, and Canmore has a lot of hard lines relative to other 24 courses I've been on. Not a big deal if you are only doing a few laps but as soon as you start heading for 15+... it gets interesting.

I second this, Canmore is much more technical than the WC24HOA at Whistler or Silver Star that were held a few years back.

mtbr member
    ...forgot to add, Racing Ralphs for my tires. I agree with what Staylor said above too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Again thank-you,Staylor I remember talking to you last year about going to a Rigid bike last year,and I also did that with my Salsa El Mar I had two bikes the other was My Mamasita with a rock shock but I started the race (24 hours of Wausau WI) on the El Mar and hit the ground hard and it did not put me out of the race but it put me out for the rest of the year. I did most of my laps in 2010 on the HT in four 24 hour races,in 2011 I had two fast bikes but they where the wrong bikes for me at Wausau good in other races but I feel that a FS bike would be better for me there, I had thought before that having both FS and HT is the best but when I went to a 29er and I had both but only used the HT most of the time so I sold the FS 29er.

So yes you guys did get your points across CLEARLY I am keeping the HT 29ers and I am going to build a FS bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Dually. It's an awesome course and has some fairly technical sections. It's not overly bumpy-----many riders do fine on hardtails------but personally I'd like to take less of a beating with a dually. Some sections start out smooth but the whoops build up as the hours go by.
    Hey Vic: Is there any comparable Norcal course to Canmore? Whiskeytown?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbne1 View Post
    Hey Vic: Is there any comparable Norcal course to Canmore? Whiskeytown?

Thanks!
    Sorta. The effort per lap is on par. But the soil is much different. W'town is hard and rocky, while Canmore has moist soil. Weaverville is probably closer, especially the first couple of miles of W'ville singletrack.
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sorta. The effort per lap is on par. But the soil is much different. W'town is hard and rocky, while Canmore has moist soil. Weaverville is probably closer, especially the first couple of miles of W'ville singletrack.
    Thanks & looking forward to your races this year...especially Humboldt as that is the only one of yours I have not raced previously

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Vic,have you been down to Socal like Hurky Creek or Big Bear if so how is Canmore in conparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    Vic,have you been down to Socal like Hurky Creek or Big Bear if so how is Canmore in conparison.
    I lived in Big Bear for 10 years. I'm not sure what they're using for a course there but Big Bear has very little of the flowy kind of singletrack that Canmore has--at least on the ski resort side of the lake. And in Big Bear you're riding on hard-pack, decomposed granite and moon dust---Canmore soil has much more moisture and much more traction.

I haven't been to Hurkey Creek.
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"