jkg
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Battery management

So, I've been reading for a while and I've done 12 and 24 hour, but still have a question on how people are managing batteries. I have a Niterider HID storm that I love and use it as a helmet mount. Two batteries allow me to get about 3 hour run / 3 hour charge cycles (2 laps usually). I carry the battery pack in my jersey pocket. I used a dinky 1W led bar mount as the required back up light and it did not help much when my headlight ran out juice. I broke it, now I'm looking for what to buy. I can't imagine carrying two battery packs, especially since the HID is more than enough light for me. Is that my only choice? I'd also love not to have to deal with recharging. If I did run a typical rechargable, would I just run both on low wattage and get 4 hours or so? What are you running as the second (only if you're running something that bright as a primary)? How do you manage your battery life and battery placement? What are your recommendations for a secondary?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I have 2 NiteRider HID's

with two batteries for each light. If I run both lights at once (technical courses like Moab, or courses with fast downhills) I am able to get 4 hours of run time from each battery giving me 8 hours of light. If I need more I rely on the charging station of the race, or use an inverter in my vehicle. On courses where I only need my helmet light I then have 4 batteries with a total of 16 hours run time. I like the flexibility of two HID's. I hope that answers your question.

jkg
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Where do you stick them

What do you do with the battery from the bar mounted light? That's about a $1000 solution.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

My Sugar 29" has two water bottle mounts...

and the handlebar battery goes in the cage on the bottom of the downtube. That still leaves an available cage for water or HEED or whatever. I know it is expensive, but I think you can get NiteRider HID's that don't have the LED companion light for a reasonable deal now that the MOAB and other lights are out. My set up is about as expensive as it gets, but it also works better than I could have expected. I have thought about buying another battery for each light so I could ride all night without having to deal with charging. If I was going to ride a 24 without support I would buy the extra batteries. In the past I have been lucky enough to have some kind of support and they always dealt with charging the spare battery. Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0