Base miles question - high elevation change training to low elevation change race- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Base miles question - high elevation change training to low elevation change race

I'm attending an endurance event in early 2018 that takes place in a relatively flat area. The overall elevation change for a 50 mile ride in the race area is about the same elevation I get in a 8-10 mile ride where I live.

I was wondering how I should focus on training? Considering a 50 mile ride where I live will likely be 8000ft+ of elevation change, putting the distance in for base miles would be pretty difficult and time consuming.

What is the best way for me to prepare? I've been told training is "time and effort, not distance", but is that always the case? If I'm putting in 4 hour days that only result in 20 mile rides with 3000ft of elevation, would that constitute "base miles" or does the base milage need to be about the actual mileage vs time on the bike?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    If you're doing 4 hrs at a "base miles" level heart rate, then you should be good.

Rides all the bikes!
    Aim for hours, just be honest without yourself how many of your hours are spent climbing vs descending. If you spend 1/5 (just a made up number) minutes going downhill, then you need to account for that in your training.