Bailey Hundo?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bailey Hundo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bailey Hundo?

Thinking about doing this one this summer. 13k of climbing but the elevation isn't as high as other Colorado 100's which is good for my sea level lungs. Anyone race it? What did you think?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Thinking about doing this one this summer. 13k of climbing but the elevation isn't as high as other Colorado 100's which is good for my sea level lungs. Anyone race it? What did you think?
    Iíve done it many years. Great race with awesome volunteers. Very fun race. Recommended 100.
    Course is a great one with a bunch of single track. The climbs are not bad, a few longer ones but lots of punchy ones too, I do live in Colorado tho. When you hit the second lap you will no doubt feel them for sure.
    Depending on weather, alot of the course is very open so bring lots of water and food or use the aid stations which are spread out quite well. In June it can get very hot. If the spring has been dry, the course in many sections will be very loose too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good to hear about the aid stations. I HATE wearing a hydration pack. Thanks for the info.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Did the Hundito this year, from Nebraska. elevation just kills us flatlanders, and this race is not that high in comparison to some of the races in Breck etc. It was a great race, well organized, and the volunteers were great. But, for me it was a lot harder than I thought. Couple other riders from my area did the 100, and all but one DNF -- and these guys do the Leadville 100 every year. in summary, awesome race, but harder than it looks on paper.

And yes, lots of loose trail, which I hate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beltron2000 View Post
    Did the Hundito this year, from Nebraska. elevation just kills us flatlanders, and this race is not that high in comparison to some of the races in Breck etc. It was a great race, well organized, and the volunteers were great. But, for me it was a lot harder than I thought. Couple other riders from my area did the 100, and all but one DNF -- and these guys do the Leadville 100 every year. in summary, awesome race, but harder than it looks on paper.

And yes, lots of loose trail, which I hate.
    So, in your opinion, what made it harder than anticipated?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Speaking only for the Hundito, the second half of the race was climbing packed. The entire race was fun, but the first half was deceptively technical and had some awesome flow which I loved, and I personally was not ready for that much climbing in the second half. It very well could have been me not ever riding these trails before, and not knowing what was coming up.

I am doing the race again this year, and that is after puking at mile 49.5, and getting an IV upon completion. The race benefits a great cause too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It's a great course and a fun race. It's a fundraiser for for several good causes and it has some great race volunteers, but the race organization definitely isn't perfectly dialed.

The course is a little more technical than some other hundreds with lots of singletrack, but it's more loose corners than gnarly features...just about perfect for marathon racing. And it's fairly punchy as opposed to having a lot of really long sustained climbs. The weather last year was great, but the year before hit 100 degrees...definitely plan for extremes. They do water bottle hand-ups which is nice, but they have regularly run out of sports drink and gels at aid stations, so it's hard to completely rely on the neutral support. They also have a really bad stagger between the Hundo (90ish miles) and the Hundito (50ish miles.) So when you start lap 2 of the Hundo, you're stuck behind the majority of the Hundito field with a lot of extra effort required to pass.

Despite all the downsides, I manage to have fun and keep coming back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I signed up for the 50(Hundito) the other day. I'm looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Iíve never raced the Hundo/Hundito but I live in CO and ride Buffalo Creek often during the summer. After doing LT100 my gut feel is that the Hundo would be harder than than Leadville. Sure itís not as high, but as others have said it gets hot and thereís a lot more proper single track.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    A guy I ride with, who has finished multiple LT100s, could not finish the Hundo last year. Bad day, or it is just that difficult. He was not alone out of our group.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm sufficiently scared now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I know of strong riders who could not finish the race.

That trail system leads you believe all is good, smooth and going as planned - till itís not. Love it out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    I'm sufficiently scared now.
    Hey Lenny no worries on this race man. Just make sure your fitness and nutrition are dialed in and you will do well.
    Leadville is a different race, longer miles and different profile.
    Just as a comparison in 2017 I finished Bailey Hundo in 9:10 and Leadville in 9:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk