Bad to race a 4 hour one week before a 12 hour?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Bad to race a 4 hour one week before a 12 hour?

Two races i'd like to do are coming up, 1st is a ~4 hour race and the following weekend there is a 12 hour race. Is one week to soon between long races? Not enough recovery time? I've been racing mtn bikes for 3 years and I never feel that beat up after long races/rides.

This will be my 1st 12 hour solo race, would like to do ok, i'll be racing the open cat. I've done about four 6 hour races with pretty good results.

Mines 29
    I did 3 6hrs like that a couple years ago. Didn't ride in between each race, boy was I hurting by the end.
    2008 Specialized Epic
    2010 Vassago Bandersnatch
    2009 Vassago FistiCuff
    2009 Vassago Jabberwocky
    www.BIGPIGRACING.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It all depends n your fitness level and how fast can you recover........

bicycle rider
    Do both. Ride light in between. Recover harder than you train, maybe even pay for a leg massage. Sleep a ton. You'll do great.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You could use the 4 hour as a training day then rest before the 12. If you normally race long races, I would think you should be ok after going all out for 4 hours if you have a week.

But like others said, it all depends on how you train now and your fitness level.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    It all depends n your fitness level and how fast can you recover........
    Yup... I've done a 12, a 6, and a 75mi marathon back to back. I was hurting bad by the end but I made it. I like to take 2 days off after the race, recovery ride on the 3rd day, short ride (like an hour) with a few harder efforts (to keep legs stimulated) on the 4th day, recovery ride 5th day, 6th day either a short ride w/ openers or pre-ride the course at an easy pace since it'll be a 12 hr race, then race on the 7th day! If you come in having close to peak fitness, you should be flying for the 12hr!

Good luck!
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow, I guess I should be riding more then the 2-3 times a week that I've been doing. I might skip the ~4 hour race and just put some road miles in on that same day.

Registation is $50, plus gas for an hour drive each way. I looked back at last years race fees, it's crazy how much I spent on just the entry fees. Plus I know I did 15-18 weekly races that I paid cash for. The 12 hour entry is $75 I already paid for. Money is a little tight, had some hospital bills I just finally paid off. Trying to build a base back up.

I just feel like I'm in all that great of shape to be racing two times so close together.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do them both with some easy recovery between. If you are in shape you will be fine. Two seasons ago on consecutive weekends I did a 12 hour, a 100-mile (fell and broke my pinky finger around mile 70 - DNFed), and another 12 hour (with my finger in a splint). Did well in both the 12-hours and was on pace for a personal best in the 100 miler. By the end of that month I was just about dead though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have done it two times last year and the year before 24 hour solo.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

!

Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Do both. Ride light in between. Recover harder than you train, maybe even pay for a leg massage. Sleep a ton. You'll do great.

Morgan
    I think the sleep comment is a good point. Due to my family situation I run off of around 5 to 6 hours of sleep a night. As a result my recovery time is longer than most. I find that I am perfectly primed for a long race if I do a hard 6 hour race effort two weeks before, but I couldn't be at my best for a hundo or a 24 solo one week after marathon length race.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Members who have read this thread: 0