Aspen 50 bike?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Aspen 50 bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Aspen 50 bike?

Signed up for the aspen 50. Good excuse to get out of the Texas heat. Anyway I've never ridden in the area, is a hardtail a safe choice. Have a 22# carbon hardtail with 100mm of travel . Thanks.
    Last edited by Lenny7; 08-10-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hardtail it is! I guess...
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

Notbychance
    Mar 2009
    Yeah that will work fine. You may want to pre ride government trail though, its pretty chunky. The rest of the course will be fine.

Notbychance
    Mar 2009
    p.s the bike I'm riding right now looks very similar except I have a 120mm fork on. Funny thing is i broke my dual suspension on government trail....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Gracias!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I haven't ridden the Aspen 50, but have ridden many of the trails in the region. Government Trail definitely has some pretty rough sections. My personal bike of choice would be a short travel full suspension with a 120mm fork such as a Niner RKT or a Yeti SB100.

Notbychance
    Mar 2009
    You end up having fun out there? BBQ was pretty good after...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    BBQ was good. I opted for the 50k. The elevation killed me. Those first 10 miles of straight up baked my cookies. Had a good times tho. Finished in 3:30+/- which was in the ballpark of what I was shooting for.

mtbr member
    Love that "race." Great trails. Although it was friggin hot on the Rim trail. Glad I was riding my Stumpy, because I was totally gassed by the time I reached Government and really needed that extra travel to help negate the exhaustion-induced crappy line choices.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbadger1977 View Post
    Love that "race." Great trails. Although it was friggin hot on the Rim trail. Glad I was riding my Stumpy, because I was totally gassed by the time I reached Government and really needed that extra travel to help negate the exhaustion-induced crappy line choices.
    The temp was the only advantage I had coming from Texas. Felt fine compared to 100+and 99.99999% humidity. It didn't offset the elevation though. They posted the results and I actually finished middle of the pack which I was happy about. Such beautiful vistas. Worth the drive. Look forward to next year and hope to be in better shape and do the full 50.