Anyone try Tri shorts instead of bike shorts for long rides/races?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone try Tri shorts instead of bike shorts for long rides/races?

I have yet to find a chammy that I like. I've tried almost all brands including some of PI's expensive stuff and I have not found one that hasn't caused issues on longer rides. If I go on anything longer than 2 hours I NEED to use Butt'r or I pay the price. The one chammy I had that was close was an older PI that had a real thin/more form fitting padding to it. Which makes me wonder if I'd be better suited using a Tri chammy that is thinner and drier. Any comments?
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Living the thug life.
    I have never liked PI shorts. Usually bulky and not comfortable over the long run. I think they cater more towards the casual cyclist. Most comfortable shorts I have EVER used are Bontrager race x lite bibs. The material is prone to snags, but oh so comfortable and form fitting. Super breathable. I think they be using tougher material this year.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    I have yet to find a chammy that I like. I've tried almost all brands including some of PI's expensive stuff and I have not found one that hasn't caused issues on longer rides. If I go on anything longer than 2 hours I NEED to use Butt'r or I pay the price. The one chammy I had that was close was an older PI that had a real thin/more form fitting padding to it. Which makes me wonder if I'd be better suited using a Tri chammy that is thinner and drier. Any comments?
    I prefer the thicker, larger chamois of road bibs to my Tri suit. Tri suits are generally made to run in...why compromise?

I guess whatever works

I just picked up 3 sweet ass Hammer Bergamo bibs for only 40 bucks a pop

I like Capo Forma, which is made by Bergamo I believe.

I have a Gore bib that I like too

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I use a Tri short (PI), mostly on really hot days or when I wear baggies. The extra layer of fabric is just enough to cut down on friction and I do seem to stay more dry compared to a full chamois. I would probably wear them more often, but they aren't bibs and I like bibs much better than shorts.

Team Awesome
    Performance Brand bibs have nice not too thick padding, too.

Category Winner
    I'd give these a tri:

or these:

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Kenny Souza, great shots. It's too bad they never held duathlon's at Chippendales.

To the OP; of course you need some kind of lube. I'm surprised that you can last two hours without it. You need a seat that agrees with you, shorts that fit and good lubrication and you'll be happy down below for a long time.

Take a look at Desoto Sports 400 mile shorts. Desoto is a tri company. I've used their tri shorts and the pad was comfortable for 112 miles even when it started out soaking wet.
    60; it's the new 40!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Boure...Pro

http://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html

Ned Overend's company...

The pad is relatively thin, no funky seams or different layers to hack you up over the course of a long day.

He speaks against using any chamois lubricant because of the problems it can cause. I've never tried it, so can't comment, but for me at least, these shorts are as comfortable as anything can be after 12 hours in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Keep in mnd too that some tri shorts position the padding more forward than normal cycle shorts (so sitting upright can leave you at the very edge of the padding). So I would make sure you sight the shorts before buying online (if thats how you shop).

Dirty South Underdog
    I like the minimal chamois in tri shorts, but deep down, I'm a vain roadie, so I don't like how the shorter tri shorts don't line up with my usual tan line, and they don't come in bibs, so I don't wear them.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    I vastly prefer bibs to shorts. They tend to fit a little snugger. A good thing since any friction is the enemy.

Grip it and rip it.
    Ive never had any problems with all the Giordana shorts, though not sure if you can get them where you're based.

A good chamois cream is a must, Natures Kiss Chafe-Ease is my favourite.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Perhaps it's not the shorts at all...................SADDLE? Sore after only 2 hours... I'd try a different saddle.

mtbr member
    Have you tried any of Specialized's BG Shorts or bibs? They work really well for me. I like their saddles and shoes as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0