Advice: Road bike or 2nd MTB bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Advice: Road bike or 2nd MTB bike

I need everyone's advice on a dilemma I am having. I race a fair bit with some concentration on 24 hour solo events (usually 4-5 per year). I have always done all of my training on my mountain bike (lots of road only riding included, just on the MTB) as it was the only bike I had. I got a new MTB over the winter so now I have 2 very good full suspension bikes (new bike is a Turner Burner, 2nd bike is a Santa Cruz Superlight).

The question is doing I sell the Superlight to buy a road bike for training. I miss going out on road rides with my friends a lot and subsequently do most of my training alone. I am missing out? Will my fitness improve with a road bike and more group rides?

Or should I keep the Superlight and use it for training....then I will have 2 MTB's for the 24 Hour solo races which is fairly common place. I am doing a bit more travelling this year to races so I'd hate for my bike to break down early in the race and not have the back up bike.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

SP

YEM
    Deadhead Biker

Two better than one

I too have two Mountain bikes and pondered this same question. I would keep both as two four racin can be ruff on a bike. I keep road tires, 26x1.25 city slikers, on my rigid some what fast .Maybe you could look for a larger "BIG" chain rig at your LBS. I too wanted a road bike but put a stumpy on layaway ,it just sound like more fun.

mtbr member

My guess.

So: X amt of times racing a 24 hour race w/2 mtn bikes VS. Alot more times possibly riding road with your buddies? I understand your dilemma, but it would be a no-brainer for me. I ride by myself 90% of the time on the road training for MTB racing, therefore, I got a road bike a couple of years ago (and have since upgraded) and love it. I ride road with my buddies several times during the year; and seem to look forward to those rides as much as I do the races. (Kind of weird, but oh well.)

I would go with the road bike without question. It's not one or the other, as you've already gotten a good mtb. (Maybe you could buy a cheap MTB just in case?)

Trail rider and racer
    Hi,
    I too am an Endurance racer. My calendar of races includes 5x8hrs 2x24hrs, 2x12hrs and a marathon. Training for these events involves lots of different types of rides but rides are never any shorter than 2.5hrs.

The most important thing for any person racing is to enter a race feeling fit and health and not tired and fatigued and by training on the road bike you can train till the day before and feel good in the legs because of the minimal resistance the road bike puts on your legs (Skinny tyres). Also having a road bike will allow you to do more effective training. 2hrs on the road with a MTB will be tyring and you probably won't cover a great distance and also you will end up with times when you will coast. Conversley on the road bike 2hrs will allow you to cover 70Km or so and there will be probably no time when you coast, which gives you an effective training ride ready for the races.

I just got my new roadie and have been training on an old one for a little while and already I ride the MTB much better. I climb like a champion well it seems that way, and tend to last longer on the bike before I get tired.

Sounds like you have a killer new MTB built so get rid of the other one and get a new or second hand road bike, you'll like the impact it will have on your riding.

Trevor!

Trail rider and racer
    One other thing I forgot to mention is the two bike issue. Having the road bike means at this stage I cannot afford another MTB for my 24hr events. I guess this is just something that one needs to suffice with at our level of racing. One very smart thing to do if you can afford it is to have spares ready to go, such as derailleurs, shifters, cables, bolts for suspension (i lost one last race) and a second wheelset to give your other one a chance during the night. This is my plan, and if I reach certain goals this year with my racing then maybe I will be able to justify a second bike....

Trevor!

More than a little slow
    Dump the 2nd FS and go with a good ( but not great ) road bike and then, if you can, get a hardtail ( maybe single speed ? ) as a secondary race bike/ bad weather training. But don't train too hard, I race against you occasionally here in Ontario.

Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good to hear from you my friend!

I thought your alias would be Slow Stowe!!! Maybe I should get a Gunnar!!

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    I thought your alias would be Slow Stowe!!! Maybe I should get a Gunnar!!
    Hey Steve,
    The problem is that the slow part is becoming more than just a nickname eh? Ah well. And all these user names and passwords and secret handshakes are starting to get just a little confusing too.
    Are you doing any local 24's this year? I'll be at Albion Hills in June.
    If you get yourself a road bike we could try to hook up for a ride up in Caledon. I've got an old touring bike that I like to get out on, heavier than the Gunnar.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Drop me an email

Hey Dave,

Drop me a private email through my nickname and we'll set up a ride. I just need to sell my Superlight (for sale on Canadian Cyclist classifieds) first.....know anyone in need?

Feb 2004

road vs mtb for 2nd bike

maybe this just confuses things more...

have you considered a cyclocross bike? with a set of road tires it will definitely make a workable bike for group rides, with knobbies a good bike for smooth trails/fire roads & then it opens up another option for racing.

I have a cross bike & it's a blast, doubles for road rides if for some reason my road bike is out of commission, and when I take it off road on mellow trails/fire roads I get to blow by guys on heavy FS rigs. CX bikes can usually be had for a very reasonable price as well (check ebay now that cross season is over you can probably score)

cheers,
    Karl

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the advice everyone

I have decided to go with getting a road bike. I'm meeting with a buying for my MTB this weekend....so hopefully I'll be on the road next week!!

See everyone at the races!

Trail rider and racer
    I have decided to go with getting a road bike. I'm meeting with a buying for my MTB this weekend....so hopefully I'll be on the road next week!!

See everyone at the races!
    Good choice, you'll probably notice a big difference to your riding and results on the MTB after having your road bike.

Trevor!
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DSkunk...drop me a message with your real EMail

I can't reply to your messages....your account won't allow them.

Mar 2004

Cross Bike

I was in the same dilema and bought a Moots Psychlo-X Ybb. Yeah, it cost a buttload but it was the best money I have ever spent. Now I can ride to the trails (ten miles away) and spend my day riding loggin roads on climbs that would kill most people. Because its a cross bike on the roads it rides like a road bike only better because of the Ybb. I live and train on a lot of chipseal roads and dirt roads and this bike has opened them up to me. If I want to go pure roady I can put on some slicks and lock out the rear and the bike rides like my best road bike. Plus because most of my training is done with cross tires putting on road tires feels like I am able to fly. It is truly an all around machine, enabling me to ride 6 or 8 hours switching between pavement, dirt roads, non-technical trails, you name it. Now I am in great shape when I mtn bike as well.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    SP
    Sell the Superlight frame, and get a Surly Karate Monkey with a rigid fork and some cheapo cyclocross 700c wheels. Get a 28/38/48 crankset, a move other Superlight's parts over. Keep the spare wheelset so you can swap hardpack/ light - mud/huck tires.

Monkey will serve you well.