Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

50 mile vrs 6 hour race preperationa and strategy

I did a 50 mile race and am going to do a 6 hour race. How do they different because mileage will be within 10 miles and time is close. How do you approach the timed race verses the mileage race?

Thx,

Jay

mtbr member
    Jay,

It's all about time. Don't worry about the mileage. Some courses are not as difficult and are faster while some are terribly difficult and the time takes much longer. your prep should be based on how long it will take you to finish.
    MTB Coach
    http://mtbcoach.com
    XC, Endurance Training and Racing

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It depends on the format usually endurance race are lap races while 50 milers may be: laps, a loop, point to point. I'll take the food and fluid needed for a lap during endurance races. For me endurance (6, 12, 24 hour) events are typically water bottle and seat pack races. While most "milers" are camelback events. This will vary by how much support is available.

Feral Roadie
    Mentally, I find timed races a lot harder since there isn't a "finish line". Getting the pacing right is a much trickier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You'll really get to know the loop if it is a typical one hour plus kind of set up.

Good: You'll know where you can relax/recover.

Bad: You'll come to dread certain sections (Oh no, not THAT friggin climb again!).

Plus, what Rover said above about nourishment.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Bad: You'll come to dread certain sections (Oh no, not THAT friggin climb again!).

Second Kosmo...

A rough course can be demoralizing after numerous laps for that very reason...if there are spots that hurt (for me like rough, rooty, super-mega-anaerobic technical soul-crusher sections), it's like..."F--k...here it comes again..."

It's a mental game at that point.

S
    Last edited by RSWMTB; 09-21-2011 at 02:01 AM.

mtbr member
    The training will be the same for both (assuming similar terrain). What you carry with you for a typical lap based race could be significantly different depending on the amount of support on the 50 miler.

I find hour based races to be more taxing from a mental aspect. I find myself zoning out a bit more after 4-5 laps (typical 45 min laps). Then you start calculating how many more laps you will get in which is always interesting in an exhausted state.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    . Then you start calculating how many more laps you will get in which is always interesting in an exhausted state.

if you're like me, you also start thinking a lot about your pace. can i pick up the pace enough to sqeeze in one more lap. can i carry that pace through to the end. do i even want to try to do another lap, or should i just back off and finish the race in a semi-human state??

at least with a mileage based race, when you pick up the pace, you know that finish line is coming at you faster.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride