24 Hours at Northstar-Tahoe is cancelled. :(- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

24 Hours at Northstar-Tahoe is cancelled. :(

SUCK! I was planning on this race. Ah well. Maybe I'll head down for Hurkey Creek Part 2 instead.

From the website:
    http://www.twenty4sports.com/90.cfm

Dear Adrenalin Participants,

At the Sea Otter Classic in the spring of 2002, employees of the ski resort Northstar-at-Tahoe approached us at our booth. They suggested that we should take a look at hosting one of our events at Northstar-at-Tahoe, stating that the relationship with Granny Gear Productions (GGP) was not the best. The “Events & Promotions Coordinator” (EPC) for Northstar-at-Tahoe, then contacted us at our offices. At this time, we discussed with the EPC that we were not interested in pursuing any relationship at a location that GGP was then involved with. A follow up call was received from the same EPC for the resort, again stating their interest in hosting an event at Northstar-at-Tahoe. We again stated that we were not interested in becoming involved with any ‘turf war’ with GGP, however the EPC suggested that they were not moving forward with GGP.

That same EPC traveled down to our Hurkey Creek, Idyllwild event in the fall of 2002 to see our event up close and personal. After the visit, we again insisted that we were not interested in the opportunity, unless Northstar-at-Tahoe had severed their relationship with GGP for good. For the better part of the spring and summer months of 2003 not a great deal of communication took place, however two separate onsite visits were scheduled. First our Road Crew, including our trail designers spent three days on site with the people from Northstar-at-Tahoe. Second, The founder of our company flew in for a venue visit. We also received a letter of intent to hold the event, including the following: “ Northstar-at-Tahoe excited to take the next steps towards hosting the 24 Hours of Adrenalin here at Northstar on Saturday, August 7, 2004. At this time we have approval from Marketing, Operations and the General Manager.”

Starting up any new event is very costly and cannot be taken lightly and thus our next step was cancellation of our Winter Park, CO (due to a very heavy mtb schedule for the August 04 period) event and replacing it with the event at Northstar-at-Tahoe. This was a financial risk ($80,000.00 - $90,000.00) that Northstar-at-Tahoe was aware we were about to take, if no one showed up for the 24 Hours of Adrenalin at Northstar-at-Tahoe.

The next releveant and very difficult communication came as a voice mail message left on our office system, from someone that we had never heard of. The message told us that unfortunately someone from Northstar-at-Tahoe found a contract with GGP that excluded them from hosting any similar event and that they would not be able to host our event for 2004. We received this message February of 2004. At this time we contacted the EPC person to get an explanation of the voice message. Simply put, the EPC at Northstar-at-Tahoe had not contacted and severed the relationship with GGP until 2004. As you can imagine this came to us as a total shock, as we understood that Northstar-at-Tahoe had severed the relationship and knew what contracts it had entered into. Someone had not done their due diligence. We then tried to communicate with the GM at Northstar-at-Tahoe, however he took weeks to return our calls and has taken a similar stance throughout the process, with the exception of us suggesting that we would need to get legal advice.

In the end the GM at Northstar-at-Tahoe takes no responsibility for the almost two year process from the time they (Northstar) approached us. We have spent a considerable amount of time and money only to be left hanging. We are also in a situation that revenues that were to be lost at Winter Park, CO and picked up in Northstar-at-Tahoe are now lost completely. This is a very large blow too any small organization. Sponsors are now disappointed and all of this could have been avoided if someone over the two-year process would have checked the contract; after all, it was Northstar-at-Tahoe who pursued us.

Team twenty4 sports

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    the problem with granny gear's tahoe race is that no one shows up to race it. i had a chat with the granny gear guy at one of the thursday night races last summer. we mostly chatted about sensible things like riding dirtbikes, but the whole 24 hr thing came up. he was baffled as to whay the tahoe race was so ill-attended when the other ones are often sold out well in advance.

sounds like a sucky situation for all.
    mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

mtbr member
    That's too bad.

I can't speak for previous years, but last year we had a team at Granny Gears 24 Hours at Northstar-Tahoe (the one mentioned above is by twenty4Sports, btw), and the attendence seemed great! Lots of people racing, lots of parking lot camping.

So it looks like this year neither Granny Gear, nor twenty4sports will be having a Tahoe 24 hour race.

Granny Gear still hasn't announced their NorCal race venue or dates. I wonder where/when/if it will be? I emailed them over a month ago and they said the dates would be posted to the website within 2 weeks.. Still haven't seen any updates though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Likewise, did GGP/Northstar last year

and it did seem fairly well attended. Even though I've been to more localized 24 hour events that seemed to have more teams, there were still what seemed to be over several hundred teams there. Shame, I really like the Tahoe venue-and last year it was even better because there wasn't any dust! Sounded like the base village was torn down and being redone-that was the supposed reason why GGP didn't hold the race there this year. Just got an email from Laird stating they have 3 different venues to look at right now and he was asking for feedback. DOn't know what's going to happen.

PattD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It's an odd occurrence but I think...

it has to do with distance from large metropolitan areas, and the fact for the average have fun 24hr racer, the course was brutal.

I raced in 2001, and there were I believe close to 150 teams (including Solos), and they were claiming that they were just breaking even, and were basically pleading with teams to round up more teams for the event the following year. I raced it again in 2002, that year I believe there were only 90 teams a huge drop off.

It's too bad really, because personally I liked the venue and loved the course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I raced northstar in 2000 and thought that the course had some of the fun (standard GGP) technical sections, but wasn't anything special..... other than the phenomenal amount of dust. I lost my voice by the end of the first lap.. Camping on pavement in the parking lot wasn't too much fun either. The event was run well, but the venue, IMHO, wasn't too impressive.
    I would argue that proximity to a population center, while somewhat important, is not crucial. Tahoe is only 3-4 hours from the bay area and thousands of people do that commute every weekend. Besides, Moab is 4 hours from SLC and twice that far from the next closest population center and it is the biggest event that GGP has and shows no signs of waning.
    Canaan was incredible.......then it moved to snowshoe..... peaked out a couple of years later and is now experiencing a decline that is certainly due the weather over the past few years and possibly also due to the "feel" of being at a ski resort. Personally, I don't like it. I'd rather be somewhere a little more "homegrown" and a little less "commercial."
    I'd rather go to a race staged at a "mom & pop" ski hill than one at a "glitzier" resort.
    I can't comment on Temecula, b/c I haven't done it and don't know the venue.....
    In general, the trend seems to be............the smaller you try to keep it, the bigger it will grow. And, converSSely, the bigger you try to grow it, the smaller it will become.. It seems to have to do with the feel......... smaller = more intimate = more fun
    That's just my $.02 though...............

rr
    I don't do PC
    We got hosed on the WP race so we scheduled the Tahoe race and now thats cancelled. Maybe we'll try Gunnison in Sept.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

24 Hours of Tahoe......

If I may put in my thoughts---

For those of you that say you rode '03's Tahoe event, you may recall seeing me riding solo with my daughter's seat on my bike for a couple of laps. I was doing it in honor of her trip to Heaven. I thought Northstar was an excellent venue, and my first try at a solo 24-hour event. Yes, I'm doing it again this year, even though a venue has yet to be picked. For what ever reason, it's a shame that Northstar won't host an event this year from either of the 2 mentioned promoters. It did appear that the lots were full of riders and support, and yes, there's always room for a few more teams to join in the festivities. Regardless of the reasons, if people want to race, they'll find a way to make it happen.

As for GGP's "3 other venues", I got a recent email that stated the consideration of doing the Donner event again. Apparently, the course will be just as fun as before, though the camping will leave something to be desired. Again, if riders are interested, they'll make the adaptations needed to enjoy the weekend. I know I will, and though I may end up last again, it's about my daughter's memory that'll get me through the 11 laps I plan on completing.

Thanks for letting me share.

mtbr member
    Hey mantispf2000,

I remember seeing you there at the event, and hearing of you from others as well. Good job on the laps. I think it's awesome what you are doing and why you are racing these events.

I hope to see you at the next one.