mtbr member
    Mar 2006

24 Hours of EROCK

Does anyone know anything about the inaugural 24 hrs of Erock in Castle Rock Colorado this coming June (i think June).....Looks like an 8.5 mile loop, is it technical, fast, muddy, etcetc?????? 8.5 miles seems a bit short for a 24 hour course and the site does not have a ton of info on it.....

Any paticulars out there??

thanks

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I am thinking of head'n out for this one. I think all the info you need is HERE. Course details, cost, etc, etc.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I am thinking of head'n out for this one. I think all the info you need is HERE. Course details, cost, etc, etc.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Awesome! I double posted. I suck.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I'm interested but it's the same weekend the WP series kicks off. Now if WP hill climb gets pushed back a week...
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Looks flat

I havn't ridden down their yet but for the pictures I have seen it seems flat, wide open, treeless and non technical. On the plus side their looks like plenty of room to pass. Its not known as one of the better places to ride on the front range. Does look like their is plenty of space for parking and camping. Here is a link of a discription and basic pictures of the area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmtn
    Does anyone know anything about the inaugural 24 hrs of Erock in Castle Rock Colorado this coming June (i think June).....Looks like an 8.5 mile loop, is it technical, fast, muddy, etcetc?????? 8.5 miles seems a bit short for a 24 hour course and the site does not have a ton of info on it.....

Any paticulars out there??

thanks
    I think its on roads, no singletrack, some of it paved. cyclocross bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

EROCK / Winter Park

If it is anything like last year (8" + of snow in June @ WP) the series will get pushed back......The EROCK course does look flat, but it is nice to not have to drive far from Golden to do a 24 hr race.....seems like it would be fun though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

24 hrs of ERock

The course is not technical (at least it wasn't the last time I rode in that area...) with mostly shortish, steady climbs. It is open, fast, and generally pretty smooth - a CX bike would probably work well. Odds are very good that the course will be dry and dusty, although it does sometimes rain that time of year... As I recall, the dirt around the course is typically hard with a layer of loose gravel and dirt on top. Expect mid 70s during the day, but it will be probably be chilly at night / early morning (like usual). For weather, use the zip code 80133.
    I guess I should also mention that the course is at ~6500ft (those coming from the lowlands may want to arrive early...)

yep...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Brian

This is a true endurance race, with only 500 feet of climbing
    he course is nick named rolling thunder, because it is going to be Soooo FAST!
    We are predicting 30 min laps, hence the title sponsor, GO FAST!
    How many laps do you think you can do?

Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The Winter Park race was rescheduled for June 17th.

http://www.epicsingletrack.com/

mtbr member
    24 hours of Steamboat is a week later, seems like more of a challenge but that is just this man's thought. I am just not sure how much fun a 24hr race would be out there (and no single track??), the century is cool though.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hmm. approx 8 mile laps, 500 ft elevation, all fire road......Almost a wonder if a cross bike might be a weapon of choice. Being that my head has been in the books for an engineering exam, my riding time has been unfortunately limited to the weekend warrior weekends....ugggh...therefore i couldnt venture a lap time.....Also, i cant get my friends to commit to this event, so it is still in the air, seems like it would be a great 24 hr to introduce beginner 24hr peeps to.

mtbr member
    Actually brianmtn you got me, it would be GREAT for a 24hr introduction for sure. The laps are MEGA short though.
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

No good

They sure are charging a steep fee to ride fire roads. I'll pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12wheels
    They sure are charging a steep fee to ride fire roads. I'll pass.
    Ouch, thought it was $40, but $250?? Yes, way too high for that event.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMEVENTS
    Brian

This is a true endurance race, with only 500 feet of climbing
    he course is nick named rolling thunder, because it is going to be Soooo FAST!
    We are predicting 30 min laps, hence the title sponsor, GO FAST!
    How many laps do you think you can do?

Dave
    I'd easily shoot to complete 50 laps then - if I didn't blow my head off from the mind-numbing repetition! Hell, 50 transition tent stops will likely eat up a few laps worth of time alone....

30 minute laps strike me as wrong in a lot of ways - whether on a team or solo, as logistics are going to be taxed with such high repetion. I suppose one could approach it like every 2-3 laps is equivalent to a "regular" 24 hr. race style lap... FWIW I raced the 24HOA course at Fountain Hills in 2004, and with 45-50 minute laps, it was hard to warm up and cool down and eat and so many other things effectively. No doubt, it does present it's own challenges and will be a great place for beginners to cut their teeth though.

True endurance event? Well, there are lot's of those like the GDR, Trans Rockies/Alps, and so many others, a 30-minute lap type event is, well, let's just say it's sure a different style endurance event!!!

Good luck, should be fast & fun.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Members who have read this thread: 0