24 HOA Flexing vs Coolest cancer race???- Mtbr.com
    Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!

24 HOA Flexing vs Coolest cancer race???

I just checked out the calendar for next year on rided 424 dot com, and there might be a mistake, but it looks like 24 HOA is putting it's Laguna Seca #1 the same weekend that the Coolest 24 Race against cancer has used the past two years... Bummer for 24 HOA, alst year I was able to race one and pit another, this year, it'll just have to be COOL. Better race, better course, 3 free meals, no BYO Volunteer BS, Cheaper Entry, and ALL PROCEEDS GO TO CANCER RESEARCH.
    So, The 24 HOA comes to Norcal twice each year, and it's a big outfit, we've all probably at least been to one. And then there's a guy named Jim who has a personal passion for raising money to fight cancer. Why is 24 HOA trying to nudge Jim's smaller race of the calendar?
    I don't want to guess, but having raced both this summer (Cool in May, and 24 HOA in Sept) I know I'm not going back to another HOA event, Ever. Especially if they're pulling this crap...
    I'm pissed...
    Anybody else have any thoughts about this?
    I heard the promoter has barred a few people from racing his races for speaking out about his poorly organized, overpriced events. Fine with me, I'm taking my hardearnd ducats and heading to Cool this May, brinigng my teamates with me.
    Bikes, Beer, Food, Music, Charity...

Does anybody like the 24 HOA races all that much? Are there any redeeming qualities???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Decisions, decision...

well really not a decision. Probably see you sooner, but see you at the Coolest for sure.

mtbr member
    your preaching to the choir bro. Having done both, one was the best biking experiences ever, the other, well, treated me like crap and the organizer was one of the biggest asses I've ever dealt with.

See you at cool!

The only bad thing is that now I have a valid reason as opposed to making it more of a boycot.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    The only bad thing is that now I have a valid reason as opposed to making it more of a boycot

True dat.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    your preaching to the choir bro. Having done both, one was the best biking experiences ever, the other, well, treated me like crap and the organizer was one of the biggest asses I've ever dealt with.

See you at cool!

The only bad thing is that now I have a valid reason as opposed to making it more of a boycot.
    Complete no brainer. See you guys at Cool.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Done both....COOLest 24 hour race is more fun, and for a better cause....so it's a no brainer for me....COOL it is!....plus we'll prolly have 10 or so on our corporate team (Team Slomentum) along with a few 8 hour solos to boot ....gotta slap around Team RagTag again next year
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Feeling a little taller
    This should have been a poll.

I vote Coolest is the Coolest . Count me in, even if I have to hire a babysitter!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Like the others have said, this is no decision at all. I'll see Jim at Cool in '08.

I don't see this as a bad thing for Jim and the Coolest 24. I see it as 24HOA making a dumb move and losing out some customers who might've ridden both. Don't know anyone who'd decide to do 24HOA if they could only do one.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    So if we all have a bad tast about 24 HOA(X), why do we still go? I did my last one ever this past year. But I still went, knowing it was going to be lame... WHY!!!!???
    Last edited by fritzaholic; 10-23-2007 at 10:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Because your a monkey!

Quote Originally Posted by fritzaholic
    So if we all have a bad tast about 24 HOA(X), why do we still go? I did my last one ever this past year. But I still went, knowing it was going to be lame... WHY!!!!???
    Dance monkey dance!

See you in at the next monkey event.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    Nate. 11/3. You're gonna love this course. Right up your alley, but bring your A game, there are some hammers here.
    You got a place on my couch, and I'll make sure we make it to the race with plaenty of time! haha!!
    see you in a few weeks.
    -fdub

I've never had a "bad taste" at a 24HOA...Stu, from his rep, can be pretty much a 'tard.....but i've had a good time at everyone of his events......it's just that the Coolest 24 hours also has a great course, good vibe (grassrooty)....AND is produced to help raise money for a worthy cause...no brainer...Coolest 24 hours wins my support.....

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    I've never had a "bad taste" at a 24HOA...Stu, from his rep, can be pretty much a 'tard.....but i've had a good time at everyone of his events......it's just that the Coolest 24 hours also has a great course, good vibe (grassrooty)....AND is produced to help raise money for a worthy cause...no brainer...Coolest 24 hours wins my support.....
    Chum,
    Well said, and a valid poiint.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As a promoter and local racer there is something I see that we can't really do without - races. Whether good or bad, we need them. Promoters need to see this too, and work together to make sure that mountain biking is not a sport that people fight over but rather something that we foster in as many ways possible. This means not deliberately stepping on other peoples feet - especially if they're trying to do something positive with their events as Jim has done.

mtbr member
    No brainer for me too, Coolest all the way.

Curse you Coe!
    Apr 2005

Forced to choose? I pick...

To be or not to be (a sheep)

Force me to choose and I'll be a sheep on this subject (didn't find "sheep" so here is "sleep" ). Coolest24 is where it's at. Baaah!

Raced on RagTag corporate team at Coolest in May.
    Pitted for semi-pro at 24 HOA Worlds in September.

I don't have any bad experiences at 24 HOA Worlds so I'm not poo pooing the organizer(s) or their event. On the other hand, Coolest 24 is da booomb. Why Coolest? Great on-site community (racers/families/friends/neighbors), energetic and friendly atmosphere, decent race course set in a charming woodsy location, and last but not least the MTBR folks.

Lusus Naturae
    Why not push one of them back two weeks? Hopefully this is just lack of coordination between the two organizers. Either way, I would guess the 24HOA will be finished by 2010 if the organizers remain clueless at this rate.

aka baycat
    I will be drinking and riding me bike @ COOL!

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!

yup

Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Why not push one of them back two weeks? Hopefully this is just lack of coordination between the two organizers. Either way, I would guess the 24HOA will be finished by 2010 if the organizers remain clueless at this rate.

Nobalance,
    this is exactly the problem. Last year, and the year before the two events existed peacefully two weeks apart. I was able to do both, as were many others.
    It seems like 24 HOA moved their date to conflict with Cool. Intentionally, maybe, maybe not. We might never know that, but you can be sure Jim has called 24 HOA and asked why they would want to try to take away from his event, considering he's doing a fundraiser...
    I'd like to see Jimmyboy weigh in, and doesn that guy Stuart ever read this? he should 'cause he's getting some bad press and this is an open forum to defend himself.
    Anybody want to clue him in to this discussion which very much affects his PR.

Nobalance,
    this is exactly the problem. Last year, and the year before the two events existed peacefully two weeks apart. I was able to do both, as were many others.
    It seems like 24 HOA moved their date to conflict with Cool. Intentionally, maybe, maybe not. We might never know that, but you can be sure Jim has called 24 HOA and asked why they would want to try to take away from his event, considering he's doing a fundraiser...
    I'd like to see Jimmyboy weigh in, and doesn that guy Stuart ever read this? he should 'cause he's getting some bad press and this is an open forum to defend himself.
    Anybody want to clue him in to this discussion which very much affects his PR.
    I already sent an email to 24HOA pretty much outlining your concerns stated above......and Stuart posting on this site really doesn't do any good for his rep....but it is VERY entertaining during a dull workday

I also made it clear i will be attending the Cool race......

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    Anybody else feel like writing 24HOA??

[email protected]

That's the email address for the Laguna Seca race.
    I got an auto reply, says they're out of the office till the end of Nov. but I read my email (selectively) when I'm on vacation...

aka dan51
    I'm looking forward to the Coolest almost as much as I am MBO.
    The two greatest MTB events I have ever been to.

Feb 2004
    ROTFLOL - been waiting for this thread to erupt since I updated the calendar

Snowjnky McDreamy
    I did all three this year 24hoa is fun but Cool is a must do on my calender It is right up there with Downieville Classic.
    Plus we won both and got $500 for Cool and only a stinking yellow jersey @24hoa
    Last, charity over profit any day of the week
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Parks Make Life Better
    Play HARD
    QUADZILLA!
    Satisfactory
    “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less.”

Trail Goddess

It's all about the atmosphere.

I've never raced and decided to try for the first time after being pit support at Cool last year. Never felt the interest at HOA. It just seems too much like work there. Coolest had the feeling of riding with friends at race pace with money being donated to a great cause (not some supporter's pocketbook).

Gotta agree with the HOA may not last long statement. I've heard reports from people who've participated at Laguna Seca and at other events and they all say they were left with bad tastes in their mouths afterwards. Maybe he'll get the message and adjust accordingly.

Fiona
    Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Honestly, I'd rather neither Stuart or Jim

post their opinions here. No one walks away from those exchanges without harm. Regardless of right, wrong, etc.

Jim's worked hard and so have the folks involved in the Coolest and Jim should just let the "event" speak for itself. That being the good time, etc. folks have enjoyed from attending and participating.

Just my 2 cents.

Roger

mtbr member
    Since I have not raced the Cool race, please take this for what it is worth. The Cool race definitely sounds like a more noble event. Stuart and the HOA people have been supportive to MORCA, our local mtb advocacy club here in Monterey. I would be curious to find out if the date is the only date they could get at Laguna Seca. I know the Sea Otter had to change their date because of the auto racing schedule and perhaps HOA had to as well. Ideally, perhaps they could communicate together and see if Cool's date could be switched. As things stand now, HOA is shooting itself in the foot...at least for this race, which was one of their most attended races this year.

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

short HOA experience

This thread motivated me to put down my thoughts on Adrenaline. Piling higher and deeper here: http://teamhealthfx.com/blogs/dave_h...0/23/3110.aspx

This isn't to say I'll be at Jim's race although by all accounts it's a good one...
    Dave

Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

2 Epic

3.14159265358979323846…
    I had fun a couple years ago at HOA, but that was due to the company I kept... had nothing to do with Stu. Last year at the Coolest 24 Hour race I had the oppurtunity to to meet Jim. Aside from the good company I kept at that race, Jim's enthusiam for what he was doing and why he was doing it made it that much more fun.

I only get to do one 24 hour event each year... guess which one it's going to be this year.

mtbr member
    both area also on Wildflower weekend. I know, I know -- triathlon! who cares? I do. we fielded teams for both 24HOA and Wildflower last year and will probably do the same this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Wildflower???

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl
    both area also on Wildflower weekend. I know, I know -- triathlon! who cares? I do. we fielded teams for both 24HOA and Wildflower last year and will probably do the same this year.
    Are you talking about the Chico Wildflower? Isn't that just a century road ride?

mtbr member
    No, the wildflower triathlon -- Lake San Antonio. They have both road and mtb tris.

mtbr member

Just to let you know!!

As the Director of the Coolest 24 hr "Race Against Cancer" I did try to move the Coolest 24 race date after 24 hr of Ad put it on the the same date that we have had for the last two years.I must deal with Calif State Parks . That is the date that is set for me every year. I do wish the best for there race.
    If you make it fun , they will come. I see no problem on this end. I look forward to seeing all 1000 of you in 2008. It's OK to stop e-mailing now. Now that this is all said. There are no changes on this end. We are still giving the $6,000 in prize money and 7 full bikes to be raffles along with the free food and showers, live muisc and I-Pods are welcome. Free tents sit-up to the top three fundraisers. We got the Beer booth worked out with the State this year!! Thanks for all your support
    I wish the best to 24hrsofA.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    Velo girl, that sounds fun...
    But not as much fun as Beer and Bike rides all night long...
    As the OP, it's no surprise where I'll be on that weekend. I'd like to say I would wish 24 HOA luck, but they seem to have squandered a good thing, and it's fine with me if they go the way of the DInosaurs, and make some space for the new breed of selfless race promotion.
    Good on ya' Jim. Hope to see you this weekend at Lake Sonoma.

mtbr member

Good on Ya Jim

Hi Jim,
    It was very refreshing to see a promoter who doesn't bad mouth or even down play another event. I appreciate your passion for your race and allowing your event to speak for it self. Without even have been to one of your races I can tell it is a class act and racer driven. I plan to be at your racer in 08. Hopefully we will be able to meet. Have a great day, and keep on keepin on!
    Jason Ranoa
    Race Director
    "12 Hours Of Temecula"
    SOCAL'S #1 ENDURANCE MTB EXPERIENCE
    www.12hrsoftemecula.com

mtbr member

Hey Jason!!

I have have send you a e-mail or two, not sure if you got them? Please contact me at the www.globalbiorhythmevents.com site. I would like to talk. Thanks for your support.

Jun 2007
    I am with all of you guys!!! Cool is the obvious choice for me. Last year I did both the Laguna Seca and Cool and had a great time at both. However, if made to choose I choose Cool. The promoter was awesome and your right it is for a GREAT cause!!!!
    It truly is a bummer these guys can not work together. When are they going to start thinking about who is keeping them going and work together???

Terri Wahlberg

mtbr member

No Brainer of Course!

Coolest it is, of course. No question it is the most fun event of its kind right now, at least compared to other calif events (my limited personal experience). Only question left is 8hr or 24hr at this point

Jim- can you make sure to arrange more sitings of Chewbacca this year, I missed him the last two races! And just go all the way and turn the aid station into a night club now that you have your beer license sorted.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster
    : And just go all the way and turn the aid station into a night club now that you have your beer license sorted.
    Oh gosh, the possibilites...
    Bunnies run from this sort of thing...

Members who have read this thread: 0