2020 Norco Revolver FS 120- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

2020 Norco Revolver FS 120

I originally posted this in the Norco form but thought I may get some informed responses here also.

I am interested in the Norco Revolver FS 120 but have some concerns regarding Sizing/Geo and Norco's suggested frame size.

I am 5' 9.5" tall with a 33 inch inseam, I don't have an opportunity to test the bike as their are none available in my area.

It will have to be ordered from the warehouse and Norco's sizing suggestion states I should ride Large for my size, and I am not on the edge of frame sizing based on their recommendations. They recommend a Large frame starting at 5' 8".

I have ridden bikes with 74 degree seat angles and for reference I am a M/L in a Trek.
    Comparing the numbers on geometreyGeeks with bikes I have owned and felt comfortable on, I feel I would be too extended on a Large frame, even with it's 60mm stem. I usually ride a bike with a 430-440 reach and around a 610mm TTL.
    I am hesitant to order a medium base on the numbers alone.

Can you buy a bike based on numbers alone, or die numbers not tell the whole tale?

Advice or thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm on a 2020 FS 120 (bought the frame - set it up for 100/100 with my 2019 FS components). I am on a medium and I am 32" inseam, just under 5' 9". The medium is right for me, doesn't "feel small". I think you may find the large a better fit tho.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I'm 186cm or 6' 1.5" and find a Large about right in a Cannondale. I can ride a medium and enjoy descending but I tend to loop out climbing the really steep stuff.

My thoughts are a Large would probably be a bit big. Do you have a bike fitter in your area? It would be worth having a chat with them. They will need to see you to be sure, but if you make a booking to get fitted on the new bike they will guide you on what size to buy and what stem you are likley to need.

I eventually got around to getting fitted on my 2013 Scalpel earlier this year after thinking I'd had my fit pretty dialled after almost 7 years of ownership. Bahahaha - after a few small tweaks it was absolutely the best and most comfortable it had ever been, my persistent knee and lower back niggles went away, and I was setting PRs on trail segments my times had been stagnant on for years.

Then two rides later I got a stick in the back wheel and broke the seat stay, resulting in an insurance write-off. :'-( I've since applied the fit diagram to the new bike and it feels every bit as good, and once I get a zero-setback post for my trail bike I'll be giving it the same treatment. Bike fits aren't just good for roadies.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the reply, there are a few fitters in the area, I will have to track down a good one but that would likely be after I purchased the bike.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Can always make a large bike smaller, but hard to make a small bike larger.

I'm 5'9" and ride a large on all bikes - even the Pole that I had.

Get the Large.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by krider View Post
    Thanks for the reply, there are a few fitters in the area, I will have to track down a good one but that would likely be after I purchased the bike.
    My thought with engaging the fitter first is to avoid buying the wrong sized bike. While it can often be worked around, sometimes it can't and it becomes an expensive proposition to fix.

If you can, avoid proprietary "systems" that attempt to MacDonalds-ise the process of fitting (eg Retul, BG fit) so that retail sales people can "perform" a bike fit. If you have anything unusual about your functional symmetry they will not be helpful.

You want a guy who spends most of his day doing bike fits.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

2020 Norco Revolver FS 120 First Thoughts

I noticed there isn't much online posted on the norco revolver fs120. I just purchased one and figured I would write a few thoughts. Sadly it's fall and I'm in Canada so riding season is ending for me. Some context. I love down hill and i'm ex pro motocrosser. I climb so I can rip the downhills. I'm coming off a 27.5 giant trance with 140/160 suspension 2.4/2/5 maxxis Mininon tires. First off I loved my giant trance it is the perfect 1 bike to do it all. I can climb and still enjoy the downhills, xc loops etc. With recent injuries, family and kids i'm trying to not push on the down hills so I figured I would buy less bike and one that would be compatible for stage racing.

Okay so first ride out on the revolver it is love/hate. It did exactly what I wanted but i'm very disappointed. I'm super out of shape and haven't ridden in 2 months but did a 1 hr test loop that I recently sprinted on my trance (2 months previous). CLIMBING - On strava segment my giant trance record is 27:38 minute climb (3.12 Km, 225 meter elevation gain). On the Norco revolver never ridden, guessed on the weight and tire pressure, a little bit more out of shape and I did the climb in 25:19 minutes. DOWNHILL SPEED - Giant Trance 15:00 and 2020 Norco Revolver FS120 15:07

Key Take away points.
    Climbing -
    My Giant Trance I loved the down hill it was a blast! Traction, super plush my bike is dialed (pike 160mm with 4 tokens 65 PSI and fox dpx2 240psi. minions at 18/20 psi on 27mm/30mm rim. Climb is still fun but you know your dragging some extra weight.
    Norco Revolver FS120 - Forekaster front and rear 20/22 psi (pressure seemed good but maybe able to lower .5 to 1 psi). I have never run anything but a minion on the front so I did take it easy in all corners as I typically get tire roll... Would like to try with Rekons never used but guessing they will be faster and are lighter. But climbed awesome compared to the trance. better natural climbing postion on the bike. It seemed if I was in better shape I could just slaughter the up hills. With the 29er and less knob of the revolver it felt like a higher cadence paid off and you just rip up the uphills. On the trance low cadence and you just have endless traction and tractor up everything maybe a couple pre power spins to get up a technical section.

Traverse/Rolling trails
    Norco Revolver - Fast! Carried speed. A few places I hit the brakes where I normally don't with the extra momentum gained. Tires less braking traction. Revolver definitely has you in a more forward stance than the giant trance.
    Giant Trance - Fun, flowy, so smooth and easy on your body! but on less technical, less steep terrain lacks speed and playful ness as the bigger tires and more slack geometry sucks up your pedal strokes.

Downhill
    Trance - What a blast and again just super comfy, loads of traction and just a big smile on your face. You want to keep going faster! Times like this i'm just thinking man I love my bike!
    Norco Revolver FS120 - Carry's speed. Even though I felt slower in the corners again just being cautious not being used to the narrower rims and less grippy tires but man it just rolled right through and at the exit of some of the burmed corners I would have way more speed coming out. I think this is because the trance I'm attacking the corners and coming in with so much speed where as the revolver I come in with a little less speed but carry the momentum through. The bike is only 120mm so super choppy, skiddery and so much more feedback to my hands and wrists. I went down the hill pretty fast but not really at any point was I like man this is so much fun it was more like skectch balls am I going to wash out and crash. This isn't the bikes fault. I believe its the more forward riding position, skinny rims, less knob on tire, less suspension. Trance I have carbon bar and my carbon renthals for the revolver arrive tomorrow... With the more forward riding position I need to run my levers lower so I have less strain on my wrists. Suspension I think I can fine tune it as I just did the base setting from the norco website.

Conclusion
    My giant trance is awesome for owning 1 bike to do it all. The norco revolver is for the stage racing that I signed up for next year which I think will be a awesome bike. The races are 40-50km ride 1500 meter elevation. These races seem to only have a few double blacks and mostly blue. I'm weak in strength but fast on the downs. My strava proved that the bike did what I wanted. 2 minutes faster on the climb and only 7 seconds slower on the downhill in a 48 minute ride! At the stage races if your trying to be competitive you are best to go down hill at %80 to rest so you can power up the next climb. I believe once I dial in the suspension and tire pressures I could get the 7 seconds on the downhill no problem however I do know in racing situation I wouldn't push to the edge as you want to finish the race. Again the uphill I also believe if I was in comparable shape to the trance sprint I did 2 months ago that my up hill climb would be 1 minute faster than what I did.

I think I will love the revolver as it will do exactly what it's intended to do really well. I hate it as I feel like i'm giving up shuttling for the more enduro ish rides. Also now I feel I need to buy the giant trance advanced 29 x and have 2 bikes. Than when I ride with my 1 and 3 year old on the mac ride theres more cushion and again we rip the downhills. The revolver great for the rips I do alone where I need to not crash and not be tempted to bomb the double blacks. The revolver I would say is 70/30 for climb/down hill and the trance is 50/50. If you don't have a steep or technical trail system the 2020 norco revolver fs120 would be more fun and faster.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Try faster tyres on the Trance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Try faster tyres on the Trance.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

I wish I could. I sold the bike last week to buy the revolver. Sad thing is I had new tires 2.4 Rekon and 2.25 aspen to put on the trance just never got around to it.

With that being said I took the 2.35 forekaster front/rear off and tested out the recon 2.25 front and recon race 2.25 rear . Again on the 25mm rim 20/22 psi. Wow what a difference that even made from the forekaster. I'm trying to do some fall testing as it will snow here soon and than I do a fun race in utah in march coming off the couch. Next ride out I will lower the air pressure .5 psi I think I will be able get some more traction on the off camber roots going downhill as I noticed a lit bit if slippage.

Next I will put the dhf 2.3 on the front with the forekaster rear and use this for day to day riding which will get me in a bit better shape and make the trail a little more fun. Than at the race switch to the rekons or if greasy/wet the forekaster.