2020 Mohican 100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

2020 Mohican 100

Right or wrong, if anyone is looking to actually get in a race this year the RD has posted that the Mohican 100 MTB Race is in fact happening on May 30th. They are working with local officials to get a mitigation plan approved to ensure safety for participants and volunteers.

Pending approval of the mitigation plan...the current holdup is getting permitting from the state DNR for an event in the park. However, the RD says that even if this is denied the race will still go on because only about 20% of the mileage is actually in Mohican State Park. The rest is on state forest land (different permit, already approved), public roads, and private land, so their is a contingency route if they can't use the park's trails.

Event Page: Mohican 100 Mountain Bike Race ‚Äď General Info on OMBC

Facebook page with updates*: https://www.facebook.com/MohicanMTBTrailRace

*Facebook page is for the mtb race and the trail run 100 that takes place two weeks later, so comments are from both runners and riders. The entire run takes place in the state park, so that would definitely be cancelled without a permit.

mtbr member
    Yeah I will likely do the MTB race if it goes. Not sure if I want to do the 100 mile or have some fun and just do the 100k. I'm not signed up yet and it will be a final week decision based on two conditions. Curious to see what their "mitigation" changes to the race will be as well as the weather. I don't feel like racing in the mud.
    ďIf youíre not first youíre last"- Ricky Bobby

mtbr member
    If they don't get the permit for state park then it will just be a gravel race. State park is the 22ish miles of single track after the initial 7 mile road section.

Evolution Training Cycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    If they don't get the permit for state park then it will just be a gravel race. State park is the 22ish miles of single track after the initial 7 mile road section.

Evolution Training Cycles
    Yep. The only singletrack would be Mohican Wilderness then.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    I'll take an entry if someone is selling.

mtbr member
    I'm honestly surprised that it's even a possibility. Every other race I had planned for this season has been cancelled, and this shiz is in 2 weeks!
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I'm honestly surprised that it's even a possibility. Every other race I had planned for this season has been cancelled, and this shiz is in 2 weeks!
    I wonder how they will handle the start... Mass start from downtown seems unlikely. Maybe small waves? Also, Mohican Adventures website says closed until June 1st. Would that still be the finish??

I plan to go, but haven't registered yet. If transfers are allowed I'd be glad to buy if there are any registered folks looking to sell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by teamssr View Post
    I wonder how they will handle the start... Mass start from downtown seems unlikely. Maybe small waves? Also, Mohican Adventures website says closed until June 1st. Would that still be the finish??

I plan to go, but haven't registered yet. If transfers are allowed I'd be glad to buy if there are any registered folks looking to sell.
    They said there will be no mass start, but didn't give details on what the start will actually look like. They did send an email to racers last week with more info, but I'm not racing this year so I don't know what all was in it.

Camping at Mohican Adventures is open May 21st. Just their canoe livery and other fun stuff won't be open until June 1st.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Has anyone who registered received an email containing the mitigation plan which the RD has mentioned multiple times on the event FB page? If so, could you please share what you received here? I'm not going to register until I see a mitigation plan and I can't find it anywhere on the event website or FB page, which I find odd. Thanks and enjoy the Mohican trails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerinthenight View Post
    Has anyone who registered received an email containing the mitigation plan which the RD has mentioned multiple times on the event FB page? If so, could you please share what you received here? I'm not going to register until I see a mitigation plan and I can't find it anywhere on the event website or FB page, which I find odd. Thanks and enjoy the Mohican trails!
    I agree, the entire way they are handing this is a bit odd, but then again, we're living in ridiculously "odd" times. Giving them them the benefit of the doubt I imagine the "mitigation plan" is developing and evolving. They don't even have the proper permits and I'm sure there are lots of opinions from all parties involved on how things should proceed.

It will definitely be a week of decision for me based on both the mitigation plan and the weather. Which is annoying because I don't have lodging figured out and it's a 3 hour drive for me. Also makes it difficult to properly taper into the event, which makes me think I'll just do the 100k instead of the 100 mile as it's sure to be much less demanding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-XC View Post
    I agree, the entire way they are handing this is a bit odd, but then again, we're living in ridiculously "odd" times. Giving them them the benefit of the doubt I imagine the "mitigation plan" is developing and evolving. They don't even have the proper permits and I'm sure there are lots of opinions from all parties involved on how things should proceed.

It will definitely be a week of decision for me based on both the mitigation plan and the weather. Which is annoying because I don't have lodging figured out and it's a 3 hour drive for me. Also makes it difficult to properly taper into the event, which makes me think I'll just do the 100k instead of the 100 mile as it's sure to be much less demanding.
    I agree. No back-up plan mentioned on the website nor mention of a full refund (I'd guess they'd do that, though).

Over 3 hr drive for me with nowhere to stay, so with less than 2 weeks out it's hard to make plans. Great race, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    His tentative start plan is to send a racer every 1-2 minutes. It will be a time trial, like The Snake. Other plans are coming together to eliminate clustering of people a the start, during the race and at the finish. Hoping all goes well, debating attending. Weird times for sure....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    His tentative start plan is to send a racer every 1-2 minutes. It will be a time trial, like The Snake. Other plans are coming together to eliminate clustering of people a the start, during the race and at the finish. Hoping all goes well, debating attending. Weird times for sure....
    Less fanfare, same price. Unmanned aid stations, no post-race partying...meh. 180$ is a lot without the extra fun built in (I get it, but drop the cost). Part of the cost is the total experience, at least for me. Maybe I'm in the minority.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I just want to see the detailed mitigation plan. Is this the extent of it (posted on their website yesterday)? "This week, The Mohican 100 shared details of its mitigation plan with registered racers. The race will be abiding by social distancing guidelines to insure the race is safe for both racers and volunteers. Some examples of the changes to this years race include: There will be no downtown mass start. Racers will be assigned start times and depart from Mohican Adventures in small groups every one to two minutes using electronic timing. Aid stations will serve pre packaged and single serve items only. The post race party including expo and food vendors has been cancelled to prevent grouping."

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is strictly a case of being money hungry and by saying it will happen 100% even without state park trails is a way to keep your money unless you defer to next year. If you are doing the 100K and those opening trails are not in the race i guess it will be just a gravel race like someone earlier mentioned. I am not sure what Ohio's state plan on large gatherings is but this would be a large gathering no matter how you try and mitigate the exposure of closeness. By reading all the FB posts it would seem the RD doesn't really care what the Governors office says and the show must go on.

Also why do people really go do these events? isn't it for the event, socializing and hanging with your friends and talk about the race after? None of this can happen. I guess if you go for the race only then split then have at it but remember people are coming in from all over for this and from areas with high numbers of the virus.

mtbr member
    The latest:

Latest OMBC News on OMBC

"The Mohican MTB100 is ON for May 30! Ohio Governor Mike DeWine has taken steps to open the state of Ohio. Local campgrounds are now open and the Mohican State Park campground is set to re-open on May 21st. Racers have been made aware that the race is still waiting on a park permit but will exclude the state forest trails if a permit is not received by May 30. The Park/Forest trails account for about 24% of the course meaning the 100 mile and 100k races will be effectively shorter if our permit is not approved on time.

This week, The Mohican 100 shared details of its mitigation plan with registered racers. The race will be abiding by social distancing guidelines to insure the race is safe for both racers and volunteers. Some examples of the changes to this years race include: There will be no downtown mass start. Racers will be assigned start times and depart from Mohican Adventures in small groups every one to two minutes using electronic timing. Aid stations will serve pre packaged and single serve items only. The post race party including expo and food vendors has been cancelled to prevent grouping. Racers may still register but online only at bikereg.com. There will be no registration offered at packet pickup. International Racers have been deferred and racers are able to defer to 2021."

So this is turning into something that sounds less desirable. I've never done the Mohican and I wouldn't want some watered down version to be my first experience. Not to mention at the same price and all the hassle of making arrangements. This will probably be a pass for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-XC View Post
    The latest:

Latest OMBC News on OMBC

"This week, The Mohican 100 shared details of its mitigation plan with registered racers."

This is the part I donít understand and kinda bugs me in a way, why is it such a secret? The 100k was going to be my ďA raceĒ this year but Iím sitting this one out. Just seems too big too soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There is absolutely no way in hell people are not going to gather and shoot the shit after the race. He can say that all he wants but he is contributing to the problem and this is irresponsible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I for one will be there, along with all my training buddies. I commend them for making an effort even in the face of extreme challenges. Is money driving it? I don't think so. I think people are driving it. For as many people that have come out against running the race, I've seen and talked to just as many that are for it. Personally, the motivation to ride and train for the Mohican 100 is what has got me back into serious MTB after a 6-8 year hiatus. Full email below:

Good News Mohican Racers,

Ohio Campgrounds, Pools, and Gyms Reopening May 21

Mohican Adventures is now open and accepting reservations online beginning today. Don't miss out, there are a few cabins that have become available for rent since several racers have needed to defer to 2021. Please make your reservation online if possible.

Click here to make your reservation

The Mohican MTB100 is still awaiting our park permit. However, since this announcement from Governor DeWine, we hope it will be forthcoming. As a registered racer, you will be among the first to know.

We think this is unlikely now, However, in the event that our park permit fails to arrive on time. The Mohican MTB100 would be forced to implement a contingency route that would bypass the Mohican Park and Mohican MTB Trails within the park. Both courses would effectively be shortened by about 24 miles. That may be welcome news for those who quit training when locked down. (;

Below is a discussion of our proposed mitigation plan. It continues to be a work in progress and has been submitted to ODNR, Dr. Benson, and our local Health Department. We have welcomed their advice and suggestions

We are counting on YOU and all of our volunteers to observe social distancing guidelines, staying 6 feet apart and and avoid forming groups of 10 or more.

YOU have an opportunity to be among the first in the USA to demonstrate that we can race our bikes outdoors while observing the social distancing guidelines designed with both our safety, and the safety of others in mind. I am counting on each of you as a Mohican MTB100 Ambassador to help us make it happen by observing those guidelines, and perhaps, offer a blueprint for other races who will follow. Our local community loves Mohican MTB100 racers! We have received many positive comments about you over the years demonstrating how you shown respect to the land and the Mohican community. That is why I know I can count on you this year. We can enjoy or sport and do it in a manner that is safe for you, your fellow racers, and Mohican volunteers who have all eagerly agreed to return to serve you. All MO Captains, volunteers, Mohican/Malabar Bike Club, and New Hope Church course marshalls and aid station volunteers welcome YOU.

Racers must register online. There will be no registration at packet pickup this year.

As you are aware, we must avoid large gatherings anywhere in the race this year as Mohican plans to follow state guidelines regarding social distancing. The Race will not begin downtown this year. It will begin and end at Mohican Adventures. This has been the traditional finish line this year and will become the start line for the 2020 race. We will be using chip timing this year that you will receive with your number plates at packet pickup. Racers will be sent in small groups, seeded by last years finish times. You will receive an assigned race time that will activate your clock when you cross the start line.

Extended Packet Pickup Times to help socially distance: We will be extending packet pickup times to Noon to 9pm on Friday and beginning at 6am on Saturday. We are encouraging racers to socially distance, 6 feet apart, and please avoid congregating. Packet Pickup will be located at the door of the conference center. The conference center will be off limits to racers. Packet pick-up Volunteers only this year. There will be tables located at the entrance that will be used to distribute race packets to racers outdoors. Our registration director is a nurse who will use a touchless thermometer to check each racers temperatue. Although this is not a failsafe, it is a method of screening used by hospitals. All volunteers will also receive a temperature check before entering aid stations or touching anything.

Forget Something? Chris Kaylor will be offering items such as tubes, CO2s and other items you may need from a tent outdoors near packet Pickup.

Approaching Aid Stations: At Mohican, we are fortunate that all, but one, of our seven aid stations have access to running water, allowing our volunteers to wash and keep things clean. Food and Water tables will be separated and regularly sanitized. We request that racers approach one at a time in the order of arrival, six feet apart.

Food tables will include single serve items only. For example, there will be no grab bag items like big bowls of chips for example. Please be sure to take what you touch.

Water and Hammer Heed Refills: We are asking that racers remove water bottle and/or Hydration pack caps and place on the water table so volunteers can fill them with water or heed from pitchers while distancing.

Volunteers, as always, will be using food grade gloves. Volunteers will not be preparing peanut butter and Jelly Sandwiches or cutting Oranges this year. Racers should place items they need in their drop bags (labeled one gallon ziplock bags or hydration pack)

Crews and Spectators: No Crews and Spectators should be at the aid stations this year. This could give the appearance of a large group, something we need to avoid for this year. Please be sure to alert anyone who will be traveling with you.

Finishers 100k mugs and 100 mile Growlers: Racers can pick up their finishers mug or growler from the bartenders near the finish line. If you wish, they will fill them with your favorite Great Lakes Beer. Racers are asked to social distance from our bartenders and leave the finish line area to prevent the appearance of a large group. Racers may return for brew but it will be served in a disposable cup. There will, in effect, be no large finish line party that has been the hallmark of race festivities. However, we hope that we can return to a more social situation for 2021. Please be sure to stop by since they will not be mailed. There is no charge to racers for Great Lakes Brews. However, there will be a tip jar should you wish to offer a gratuity to our friendly local bartenders, some who have been out of work since the lockdown in Ohio.

Podiums: Podiums will still occur, but without a large grouping of spectators. Each podium will be positioned 6 feet apart. Top Five in each division for cash payouts and photos as shown on the race page.

Results: Will be available online with the link publicly posted so your friends and family can follow as well.

We want you to be safe and feel safe while you are here. This plan is an effort in that direction that is subject to change, if necessary. No plan is perfect and life includes risk. You have the option to defer to 2021 by sending an email to [email protected]. When registration opens in 2021, simply send an email to receive a code you can use to update your registration.

More race specific information will be forthcoming soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    A bunch of people paid them to put on a race. They're able to do that with the necessary approvals so that's what they're doing. Although it sounds like it may not look exactly the same as years past, but at least they tried to fulfill their end of the bargain.

My opinion is that RD's no longer have any say in if their races can take place or not. Either the state or local authorities will allow the event or cancel it. I'd be sort of upset if a race was allowed to take place, but the RD decided to cancel.

mtbr member
    That's a good email and I hope it does serve as a blueprint for other races. Some race promoter has to be first and I hope all goes well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for posting the email! Itís nice to see the plan and I would think that would be info everyone should hear, not just registered racers. I hope the event goes well, I just personally donít feel ďreadyĒ yet about it.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    areeves, thanks for posting the email. It has multiple changes that would make me more comfortable about doing the event than what I've read on the website. I'd like to know more about the size of the starting groups and the gaps between groups. I'm unsure whether volunteers should be handling participant bottles. I didn't read any mention of masks for the volunteers or participants wearing them pre or post race when on site.
    I think the mitigation plan should have been posted, and should be posted now, for all to read, ask questions about and give feedback. My impression from reading the FB comments in recent weeks is that there are, as you write, a certain percentage of registrants who have never questioned potentially not doing it. Because of some of the comments I've read on the FB page, I have doubts regarding how seriously a portion of participants will follow the social distancing suggestions mentioned in the email. It doesn't matter what the RD writes if the participants don't follow the suggestions. If the entry fee was lower, I might be willing to just bail if I didn't like what I saw pre race or early in the race, but there are still too many questions for me. The decision to not post the mitigation plan on the website and FB page and only send it to registered participants also has me less excited about potentially signing up for the race in the future. Enjoy the Mohican trails and take care!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think you gotta give them kudos for making an attempt. This could be the new normal, this could be the blueprint for what racing looks like in the future. I have a hard time believing we're gonna flick a switch and 2021 will have people clustering at the finish and your buddy's wife will be giving you a kiss. Those days are probably gone, at least until there is a proven and available vaccine.

With social distancing, viral transmission in the outdoors is almost non-existent. Read the Erin Bromage blog post.

The water bottle comment, it works like this. You roll up, place your bottle on the table with the cover OFF. The volunteer takes a pre-filled pitcher of water and fills your bottle without touching it. Then you re-cap it. Pretty simple, and should be safe. If that stresses you out can always wear a hydration pack and take a bottle on bike for 100k, won't have to stop. Probably doesn't work for most in 100 miler.

Anxious to hear how this go. This is likely the norm in the short term at least

mtbr member
    May 2020
    That water bottle protocol makes sense now. Thanks! The RD will certainly get a lot of kudos from those who race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'd also add, for full disclosure and those that don't know, the RD of Mohican is also the head of all NUE races. I am probably out of school here, but I don't think he is getting "paid" by anyone to make this race happen. However, as NUE Director there could be some financial component for him. I also help produce another NUE race (Carrabassett). Since the beginning of "all shit going sideways" he has been determined and patiently waiting to host Mohican in a safe manner, if allowed, to show how it can be done and for it to be a blueprint. I wish him and all races good luck. I haven't ruled out attending.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I like those odds. I should know today if I will be off work and able to make the trip from NC. If so, I will be registering tonight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looks like good weather on race day! High of 67 and partly cloudy for the day. Two days of thunderstorms leading up to it though. Should make for a slick course like last year's race.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Thread clean up to remove personal attacks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I'm pumped for the weather. I've got WTB Ranger front and rear right now, but will make a decision to go more aggressive based on Thur-Fri rainfall. I'm anxious to see when we'll hear whether this is a MTB race or gravel race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I came across a Facebook post about this race taking place and I was pretty surprised by how much negative feedback there was. According to that string, the locality was pretty strictly opposed to the event taking place and they would NOT be providing any support (ambulances on site, police at intersections etc.). The general sentiment seemed to be that folks were worried that having the race in spite of these objections could hurt future events.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    I came across a Facebook post about this race taking place and I was pretty surprised by how much negative feedback there was. According to that string, the locality was pretty strictly opposed to the event taking place and they would NOT be providing any support (ambulances on site, police at intersections etc.). The general sentiment seemed to be that folks were worried that having the race in spite of these objections could hurt future events.
    Any chance you can share where that post is?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    To the people that have done it before; if the state park singletrack is removed what's the preferred bike? Is it all gravel/two-track, or would there still be some singletrack?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Gravel bike would do pretty well with some 45-50c tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Youíll still have to contend with the Mohican Wilderness section, but what you lose barreling downhill there, do you gain in the other 35 miles? Honestly, weíve had the same thought about a gravel bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    Any chance you can share where that post is?
    thanks
    It was on Gordon Wadsworth's page.

mtbr member
    Without the state park and associated connecting trails, I'd go for a rigid hardtail with lots of gears and fast rolling tires, even if their traction is terrible offroad. There's not enough trail left for that to cannibalize all the gains you'll make on the gravel roads. I think there's JUST enough technicality that having flat bars will help so I'd leave the gravel bike parked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by a a r o n View Post
    Without the state park and associated connecting trails, I'd go for a rigid hardtail with lots of gears and fast rolling tires, even if their traction is terrible offroad. There's not enough trail left for that to cannibalize all the gains you'll make on the gravel roads. I think there's JUST enough technicality that having flat bars will help so I'd leave the gravel bike parked.
    I agree with this. Hardtail

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Itís official, no State Park. Still waiting on route map.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Everyone get your gravel bike ready!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by areeves08 View Post
    Itís official, no State Park. Still waiting on route map.
    20 less miles per route.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Meh, I am here with FS MTB only. Will see how it goes...

Oh, and, I guess because I registered late I was put in the next to last wave. Advantage? Disadvantage? Waves start 1 minute apart with 6 riders per wave. There should be plenty of passing opportunities, so maybe it's a good thing to have to chase all day? Not going for the overall by any means, just trying to rival the pointy end of the old guys class.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I built the course (roughly) in RideWithGPS last night and I'm missing a good 10 miles for the 100k course. AID 3 is at Mohican Wildnerness (22 miles). It's pretty straight forward on how to return to the finish from there, but I'm only coming up with about 10 miles to the end? Ride cut in half?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by areeves08 View Post
    I built the course (roughly) in RideWithGPS last night and I'm missing a good 10 miles for the 100k course. AID 3 is at Mohican Wildnerness (22 miles). It's pretty straight forward on how to return to the finish from there, but I'm only coming up with about 10 miles to the end? Ride cut in half?
    20 less mile per website

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    20 less mile per website
    I know what the website says, what the emails have said, what Facebook has said. What I'm saying is the course directions don't come anywhere close to 42 miles for the 100k. The 2020 course jumps on to the 2019 course around the 30-mile mark, but only adds a handful of miles beforehand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Was kinda muddy today. Glad I brought the MTB and not the gravel bike. My Wahoo got me at slightly over 100K for the 100 mile route. The race was executed well. They didn't post a results hardcopy (to avoid the inevitable cluster of folks). The results were online and I didn't find them until after I left, so I missed out on the wide angle podium shot. All-in-all I think everything as well as can be expected. Glad I raced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by teamssr View Post
    Was kinda muddy today. Glad I brought the MTB and not the gravel bike. My Wahoo got me at slightly over 100K for the 100 mile route. The race was executed well. They didn't post a results hardcopy (to avoid the inevitable cluster of folks). The results were online and I didn't find them until after I left, so I missed out on the wide angle podium shot. All-in-all I think everything as well as can be expected. Glad I raced.
    Congrats and thanks for the report!

kk2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Less fanfare, same price. Unmanned aid stations, no post-race partying...meh. 180$ is a lot without the extra fun built in (I get it, but drop the cost). Part of the cost is the total experience, at least for me. Maybe I'm in the minority.
    100% Agree. Thats why I like Lumberjack 100.
    Pivot Mach 4C
    Trek Procliber 9.9 SL
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 CC
    Santa Cruz Blur 2.0 C
    Specialized Fatboy C

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I think it was run as well as it could be. People for the most part stayed dispersed and the six riders per minute staggered start worked well. I think They have a good framework for future events. Itís a shame the locals werenít more supportive, because it was really something they can be proud of.